Bigwatersig

Dump bucket weight lift capabilities?

Bigwatersig

Hey Guys, buying a WH Toro 520xi from my dad, model 73540. He wants $3500, probably way too much considering he didnt even change the oil or filters! Oil temp gauge doesn't work? I will negotiate with him after I see what it takes to get it into shape. It came with a dump bucket, grader blade, snow blade, bagger with no bag... I am currently dealing with fuel issues, Hot stall issues, wouldn't start at all last night, had to spray gas in carb with spray bottle to drive it into garage last night, gonna look for carb rebuild kit after this post, had 12 volts to shut off solenoid when cold, maybe sticking? But I will probably be able to deal with that. I have a major landscaping project, bought cheap lake house that has major erosion issues, and need to move a lot of dirt and gravel. The dump bucket is very helpful for a 53 year old, but it doesn't have the power to lift a full load of heavy dirt, and I have to use a pick axe to pry up under bucket while lifting implement lever to raise a load of gravel. Once  I get it started up it raises and holds. My dad had this tractor a while but didn't use it too much, but also didn't maintain it well. I changed fluid and all three filters, 10W 30 in Hydrostatic drive system. Clueless about whether or not this is just overloading system? Or if there is a problem. Haven't even tried to hook up grader blade, took me forever to figure out how to hook up bucket! The priority is to get her running right, but it would be nice if the bucket would lift a full load without assistance?

Bigwatersig

Here is a pic of bucket

15192657_1442591885764657_32116925189320

Dennys502

That bucket will take forever if you have a lot of dirt to move. A dump cart would be much better - with the excavator you can just fill it and dump it. Is there a Hydraulic pump or is it running off the charge pump on the hydro?

953 nut

:WRS:    here is a copy of the manual for the Johnny Bucket, they weren't built for heavy loads but that gives you more seat time.  :ychain:

Bigwatersig

Thanks for the manual! I see they have a spring assist that is supposed to be used with it, will have to give dad a call. He probably doesn't have it, or doesn't know where it is in his the mountain of stuff! At his age he barely knows where he is! And as for the pump, it has a long tubular bar that runs back to what I believe is the stock Hydro? The mini X was a daily rental, I like the Johnny bucket, I need to maneuver into a very narrow space behind house that is trying to cliff dive off the bluff into the lake. I also have to slip by the septic tank. Maybe I can figure out how to rig my own spring assist?

Bigwatersig

After thinking about it a bit, I am questioning whether or not I would want the spring? I have been partially loading up the bucket and re scraping so it will skim the surface better. I'm guessing the spring is going to work against that technique? I probably need some sort of implement to pull behind and rip up the soil? some sort of deep digging plow? I'm not a farmer! I have been using my tiller to break up the soil before scraping it up. I'm not sure how effective the grader blade would be but that is more for contour work? Rather than relocating soil? Maybe I need a large pry bar to use against front tire, I can store it on tractor hood? I will be renting track loader eventually to reshape the lake-shore, and build a rip rap sea wall behind the house at lake level, but I have a lot of small work to do also. can I raise and lower a plow with Johnny Bucket attached?

Ed Kennell

I am not familiar with the lift mechanism of the Jonny Bucket, but if it has a rigid lift link, you should be able to apply down pressure and this force should be nearly the same as the lift force.

If this is true, you should be able to add springs to increase the lift by 50% and still have 50% of the down force for scraping.

I have used old garage door springs adding up to three to totally float a blower that I could then lift or lower with a few pounds of force on the manual lift lever.

doc724

I had hot stall issues with my 520xi a couple of years ago.  If I shut if off, it would take up to 5 hrs before I could restart it.  The fuel shutoff solenoid was considered the culprit, but at a replacement cost of over $100, I was reluctant to invest that much.  After the last fiasco when it stopped with a full load in the loader bucket, I dumped the dirt and had it towed into the garage.  Pulled the air cleaner and squirted some fuel down the throat and it started right up.  Still did not rule out the fuel shutoff as a root cause, but I opted to replace the fuel pump.  At a cost of under $30, this seemed prudent.  Have not had a problem since and it has been two years.  If your dad neglected the machine, he may not have spent the $ to put good gas with gas treatment in it.  Before I would rebuild the carb, I would test the fuel pump and replace that first.  i think you can get one for under $20 if you shop around.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

oliver2-44

I currently am re-grading an area with a grader blade under a C-160 without any wheel weights. If I catch the soil at the right dampness (not to wet to be muddy, but not to dry to be hard) I've been amazed at how much material I can move. Lots of small passes, but you never stop moving and it adds up. In about 2-3 hours I cut down a 15ft by 50ft  area 4-8 inches to change drainage.  I alternated using the blade at an angle to cut & windrow dirt, then moved blade square and pulled bits of dirt forward. You need the solid lift link on the grader blade to be able to apply some down pressure. I had to stop and hand break loose a few rocks and cuts some roots, but it sure was a lot of fun seat time.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Bigwatersig

Yea earlier this morning I cranked the starter over no fuel from pump. Engine actually ran rough for at least 10 seconds, only a trickle from pump, not sure what kind of flow should come from vacume pump? Pulled it apart, the diaphram looks to b too strecced out to me? Looking for pump kit.

20161207_091011.jpg

Forest Road

I have a 522xi w an actual loader. I know it's family but that's a lot for that package. 

i had similar fuel issues. Changed fuel lines and the pump. Went with a universal small engine vaccum pump for 1/2 price of a kohler. Haven't had any problems since.

You should be able to find a used loader tractor for that price. 

JackC

"gonna look for carb rebuild kit after this post, "

I found a new carb for about $100. Much harder to screw up a swap versus a clean and rebuild. Don't ask me how I know.

Bigwatersig

Hey Jack, yea I rebuilt carb, expensive kit for what you get! replaced fuel pump with briggs model, still had my hot stall problem. I disconnected fuel lines and blew them, removed tank shut off valve, disassembled and cleaned it up, lubed o ring, it was really stiff! I think shut off valve and some blockage was at least part of my problem. But I re-posted in engine forum that I think I have tank vent issues, apparently this is a factory problem with the vent line routing. I have yet to run her with cap on tank, but after blowing lines and valve I was so excited to move dirt that I kept working till dark!

Forest Road

Replace all fuel lines. They are prone to breaking down over 10 years. Even more so since ethanol fuel hit the market.