Tonyp

Starter re-assembly question

Tonyp

Ok, it's stump the student day !    I thought I was pretty good too..( NOT)     Starter for the M Series Kohler. M10...

Took it all apart, it was filthy, brushes dirty, Bendix was gooy stuck , the whole thing just dirty, certainly not a surprise for a 30 year old  310 series Tractor.   Now it's cleaned ready for re-assembly, ok not so fast...

How on earth do I install the brushes with the springs ? !  ???

I'm stuck, at a loss, already washed my hands and put it away 'till maybe tomorrow. 

Smarter people than I may please respond !  

thx !

IMG_8268.JPG

• Excellent 1

daveoman1966

I use the plastic lid from a coffee can.  Cut it in half and position it to hold springs back into each well, while...with the 2nd hand...lower the armature (body) down onto the plastic.  Pull out the plastic and the brushes will spring into place.      

• Like 6

Tonyp

sounds like a plan ! 

Tonyp

yeah steveasaurus  !   ... thats  a really neat trick !    I was just about to think of that ! 

• Like 2

slammer302

I use two butter knifes in the same fashion as stevasaurus metal tabs 

• Like 2

oldredrider

I use whatever is available. Have used sawsall blades with success. 

N3PUY

this works

• Like 6

Tonyp

looks too easy !  I still have  not put mine back together as of 12/5, Tuesday AM is the plan.

The video and the slide tool is excellent !   Think I'll just make one.

Tonyp

Good news, all put back together using the techniques above.  I did use TWO pieces of sheet metal and formed the brackets to hold the  brushes in place, slid them out after the body and brush assembly were joined.  

The real good news, the starter , although  it  stopped working , now works just fine after cleaning the brushes, armature and the Bendix.  This is an original  29 year old starter off of a 310-8 which I bought new in 1987. 

Note: we don't really need to take the engine  cover off. The starter can be removed and reinstalled with the cover in place. 

Removing the engine cover is not a bad idea for cleaning but it's not necessary for starter repair.  

Thanks to all the WH junkies above for excellent information and advice !  

310-8 is running  again and not wanting it's yard duty replaced with the 2004 /315 or the 1979 /C81 , it's happy now !

me too !

thx

t

• Like 2

Sarge

Just fyi - not a bad idea to pull the tins once a year and very thoroughly clean every one of the fins on the engine - air cooled means it must circulate air past those fins via the ducting from the tins and the fan on the flywheel . Makes air cooled engines run cooler and last much longer . Someone had failed to ever clean the fins on my '74 C-160 - it has a cracked block right across the top near the exhaust valve and renders it non-rebuildable .

Sarge

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-goodpost:  :text-+1:

IMG_1179.JPGIMG_1180.JPGIMG_1178.JPG

• Like 1

WH nut
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat:  :text-goodpost:  :text-+1:

IMG_1179.JPGIMG_1180.JPGIMG_1178.JPG

Critters are a nasty bunch

• Like 2

Tonyp

thought I would  "revive" this thread as I am getting ready to restore a 1979 / C81 Starter.  There is such excellent information contained above. 

• Like 2