slim67

craigslist find

slim67

Got to love those deals on Craigslist. I have bought and sold my share of stuff on their site and usually have had pretty good luck. Today I got a pair of Goodyear 26 x12-12 rawhide ags for 20.00. No plugs,no sidewall cracks and excellent beads. I have an extra set of 12 inch wheels I will mount them on then they will go on my 265. If i take possession of my dads workhorse , they could end up on there .

• Like 5

KC9KAS

Once in a while a fellow can get a really good deal on CL.

AMC RULES

:clap:  :text-woo:

Mount 'em up...

:wwp:

953 nut
9 hours ago, slim67 said:

I will mount them on then they will go on my 265.

:wwp:

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Yes you just never know about CL but is does pay to look, gotta be careful tho as it can go the other way real easy.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I have bought and sold on CL for years with very few problems.    I am still amazed at the some of the long distance sales I have made based only on pictures and phone calls.

Including a $15,000 boat and $3500 camper.      The thing I don't understand is where does CL get the income to operate?   There are no fees to buyer or seller and I have never seen an ad on the site. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

WHX??

Very good question Ed...never could figure that out myself. You would think they would put :techie-ebay:and the like out of business???

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Clist charges commercial sellers like car dealers, apartment rentals, etc to run their ads.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:thanks:  Oliver,  I didn't realize that.

rmaynard
50 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The thing I don't understand is where does CL get the income to operate?   There are no fees to buyer or seller and I have never seen an ad on the site. :confusion-shrug:

From  smallbusiness.chron.com/craigslist-money-27287.htm

"Craigslist makes money only through a handful of revenue streams. It charges a $25 fee to post a job listing in six major U.S. cities. It charges $75 for a job listing in the San Francisco area. Last, the company charges a $10 fee to list an apartment rental in New York."

• Like 1

Zeek

I use Craigslist as well with success.  I sold two cars and three motorcycles (among other things) without issue.  You can usually weed out scammers/idiots pretty quick :kbutt:

Beats the old "news"paper ads at $20 for 7 days . . .

• Like 3

WHX??

I have sold everything I have ever put on CL given enough time & patience. Most of the guys that bought my junk were actually decent folk.

Couple of other tips.. Always expect to take less than what you want so have your "bottom line" price in mind when you post. Be prepared for "low ballers" but again be courteous. Be respectful & honest in your ad, never use foul language or snide comments. Treat prospective buyers as you would want to be treated. If you can't make an arranged  look at be courteous &  contact the buyer & say hey I gotta take my wife to the hospital or my dogs having pups or whatever  Never give out your phone & always use the CL relay, if you do be prepared for text scammers.   Yes you can weed them out pretty quick Zeek... If you get a "is it for sale yet" email ...it might be a scammer, hey it's up yet whadda ya think I would have it up if it ain't?!?? On the same note if you sell take it off right away unless your a glutton for punishment. If you get a request to ship or they request your pay pal info...it is a scammer. Always go cash & inspect bills carefully, unless it's your BIL, well maybe be extra careful ther. :lol:.

I have a nice like new Cub sno blower  on for a buddy that doesn't CL and we are asking $XXX for it, some guy keeps emailing offering -$XXX for it & when I tell him sorry my bottom line is $XXX the guy gets somewhat insulting about my asking price. Don't let it ruffle your feathers, you don't want to deal with him anyway... takes all kinds to make a world go round, hit the delete button and move on.

And ALWAYS remember ...put your :wh: stuff here first!!!

Edited by WHX9
spell
  • Like 7

slim67
4 hours ago, WHX9 said:

I have sold everything I have ever put on CL given enough time & patience. Most of the guys that bought my junk were actually decent folk.

Couple of other tips.. Always expect to take less than what you want so have your "bottom line" price in mind when you post. Be prepared for "low ballers" but again be courteous. Be respectful & honest in your ad, never use foul language or snide comments. Treat prospective buyers as you would want to be treated. If you can't make an arranged  look at be courteous &  contact the buyer & say hey I gotta take my wife to the hospital or my dogs having pups or whatever  Never give out your phone & always use the CL relay, if you do be prepared for text scammers.   Yes you can weed them out pretty quick Zeek... If you get a "is it for sale yet" email ...it might be a scammer, hey it's up yet whadda ya think I would have it up if it ain't?!?? On the same note if you sell take it off right away unless your a glutton for punishment. If you get a request to ship or they request your pay pal info...it is a scammer. Always go cash & inspect bills carefully, unless it's your BIL, well maybe be extra careful ther. :lol:.

I have a nice like new Cub sno blower  on for a buddy that doesn't CL and we are asking $XXX for it, some guy keeps emailing offering -$XXX for it & when I tell him sorry my bottom line is $XXX the guy gets somewhat insulting about my asking price. Don't let it ruffle your feathers, you don't want to deal with him anyway... takes all kinds to make a world go round, hit the delete button and move on.

And ALWAYS remember ...put your :wh: stuff here first!!!

Ironically over the years I am having better luck with sales and people these days. I always ask anyone if they change their minds about coming to look at something i have for sale to please let me know so i am not waiting around all day as I would do the same. Sometimes you just change your mind. I have found stuff in the trash or gotten things from people that didnt want them anymore and sold them on CL. I sell and buy on ebay as well but they have some rules I dont agree with so I use CL first.The only time I had a weird experience is when I sold my late sons car and a bunch of mexicans came to look at it. Only one barely spoke any english but it worked out. I will probably be buying off red square more than selling right now with my project but if i have any wheelhorse stuff, I would certainly put it here. If its red and says wheelhorse im sure one of you guys will buy it.

• Like 1

slim67

Here is a pic of the tires and my 265-6 that they will likely go on. They could also be for the Workhorse when I pick it up.

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

• Like 5

WHX??
17 hours ago, slim67 said:

if i have any wheelhorse stuff, I would certainly put it here.

Atta guy! :bow-yellow:

17 hours ago, slim67 said:

If its red and says wheelhorse im sure one of you guys will buy it.

Ya think!?!?:ychain:

• Like 1

dirtnap

I'm a CL addict.  I've been buying and selling on CL for years.  I check it almost every day.  I always use only my phone number and specifically say in my post that I will not answer texts or email.  And, if the ad is up it's still for sale.  If you want to do business with me pick up the phone and call me.  Sure there are people who don't show up but I've found that by actually talking on the phone to people, you can really weed out most of the scammers and tire kickers.  My biggest gripe is people who either don't know how or don't delete their ads when they've sold.  It wastes both of our time not to. 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I try to keep the status of my CL ads updated by editing the text with SALE PENDING  or SOLD notes.  That way the potential buyers don't have to ask if the items are still available.

slim67
2 hours ago, dirtnap said:

I'm a CL addict.  I've been buying and selling on CL for years.  I check it almost every day.  I always use only my phone number and specifically say in my post that I will not answer texts or email.  And, if the ad is up it's still for sale.  If you want to do business with me pick up the phone and call me.  Sure there are people who don't show up but I've found that by actually talking on the phone to people, you can really weed out most of the scammers and tire kickers.  My biggest gripe is people who either don't know how or don't delete their ads when they've sold.  It wastes both of our time not to. 

Yeah I hear you on the phone calls. I hate texting since I'm still living in the Stone Age as far as cell phones are concerned. I used to check it everyday when I was into golf carts but now a couple times a week. I have done pretty well making extra money on CL.

Zeek
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I try to keep the status of my CL ads updated by editing the text with SALE PENDING  or SOLD notes.  That way the potential buyers don't have to ask if the items are still available.

PLEASE,  PLEASE, PLEASE delete the ad if it's SOLD :pray:

Not trying to be mean, but think about it as a buyer - no one cares if something is sold or pending on Craigslist, it's just another useless ad clogging things up and should be deleted immediately. If it says SALE PENDING - I'm still contacting you to be next in line if it falls through, so leave it for sale.  If it says SOLD - No one logs on to see that, we want see what IS for sale:computer: As far as price history, no one knows what it ultimately sold for anyway, regardless of the asking price so it's of no value to users.

Like I said, no hard feelings :orcs-cheers: That is just a pet-peeve for a lot of us.  That was kind of a hang-over from the days of paper ads when they need space fillers. Don't hate me :hide:

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:   :text-goodpost:   :text-+1:   :clap:

Ed Kennell

No hate here Zeek.    We all have our opinions and pet peeves.

A lot of my ads have multiple items and as the individual items are sold, I mark them as such.

My logic is when a looker comes back to look at an ad he may have noticed earlier and the ad or item is not there, he may not know if it was sold or if he used a different search title.

I have found a one letter or one space change in the search title can change the search results drastically.    

• Like 2

slim67

Well I finally got around to mounting these big bastards. They barely fit and just clear everything. I slid the hubs as far in as they could go. I ended up getting a pair of 12 x 10s off of a Cub Cadet from a local tractor salvage for 20 a piece,which I thought was fair. I will probably go back to the original size in front in the near future( 16x6.50-8s). This guy I got the wheels from has enough tractors in his lot that you could get tired of counting. What do you guys think? Im happy for sure.

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Looks cool but also looks like the fender pan is rubbing the tires at top or it could be the photo angle , do you have a mower deck I would be concerned those tires may hit the rear gauge wheels as well being taller and set out wider just thoughts for consideration,Jeff.

slim67
48 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Looks cool but also looks like the fender pan is rubbing the tires at top or it could be the photo angle , do you have a mower deck I would be concerned those tires may hit the rear gauge wheels as well being taller and set out wider just thoughts for consideration,Jeff.

it does clear but its only for pulling, no mower deck. thanks.

• Like 1

Jaymon74

Looks pretty sweet! I bet they hook up pretty good. Great CL find. I bought my first WH on CL. Took me a few years to find what I was looking for in my price range, but it was worth the wait. 

• Like 1