RedRanger

David Bradley suburban

RedRanger

Thanks to some trading and a road-trip by a fellow RS member, I picked up this 1961 David Bradley Suburban this weekend.  You may remember it from a few months ago.  Seems that WH is not the only tractor that gets traded around here.

Pretty complete tractor and has/had the rare optional electric start for that year, I need to find the electric starter for it if anyone knows how to find one please point me in the right direction.

Has a veri-drive system similar but more complicated than the early RJ35's.  Dual Hand brakes, hand throttle, hand choke, hand speed control,  hand forward/reverse lever....no foot controls.  Should be a handful to operate.

I think they were designed by a legless engineer?

Would like to find the starter, mower deck, and maybe some other attachments.

043.jpg023.jpg030.jpg

028.jpg

• Like 7

Lagersolut

New to me - never knew David Bradly made a rider ....was only familiar with the walk behinds, Dad had 2 or 3 years back , it's what we made garden with when I was a kid and pushed snow .

• Like 1

Sparky

Wow! Levers all over the place! 

Very cool lookin piece of old iron.

Mike....

• Like 1

RedRanger
17 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Wow! Levers all over the place! 

Very cool lookin piece of old iron.

Mike....

Kind of reminds me of running the dredge on Gold Rush if anyone watches that show.  :lol:

• Like 3

russellmc301

may you have you have to be a cyclone to operate with all them levers:D

• Like 2

RedRanger
Just now, russellmc301 said:

may you have you have to be a cyclone to operate with all them levers:D

Everyone says these suburbans are slow...top out around 5 mph, so guess that lowers the risk of injury?  :auto-layrubber:

• Like 2

rmaynard

Nice find. However, someone had to say it, so it might as well be me... your right rear tire is on backwards. :hide:

• Like 1

RedRanger
22 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Nice find. However, someone had to say it, so it might as well be me... your right rear tire is on backwards. :hide:

That's intentional.  I take it you've never seen this before?   Notice the hand turning brakes.  This way, when turning to the right....she gets better traction.   The lugs dig in more being turned around.  Of course when turning to the left....she goes into flotation mode.  So when working soil when you need better tire grip, always turn to the right, but when you need flotation such as mud or sand, then you always turn to the left.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.