eibbed

Removal of broken bolt in foot rest

eibbed

Gentlemen,

The bolt was broken off flush with the foot rest.  I drilled out the center with a left handed drill bit and have tried unsuccessfully to unscrew the rest of the bolt.

Do I go to a larger bit and drill out the rest of the bolt, then tap the hole?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Edited by eibbed
trying to attach photo

WVHillbilly520H

Sometimes a little heat(small propane torch) makes a word of difference, as well as a set of "easy outs" bolt/screw extractors after heating, and/or heat and penatrating oil alternating then the easy outs before drilling out completely just my limited machinist knowledge removeing broken bolts on industrial machinery,Jeff.

• Like 4

eibbed

Jeff,

In my original post I forgot to mention that I had tried an easy out on the drilled hole,

Tomorrow I will try the propane torch heat combined with the penetrating oil and easy out like you suggested

Thanks,

Dave.     

Edited by eibbed

CLG253

You can try to weld a nut to the broken bolt. Place a washer between footrest and nut. Try to get weld as far down in drilled hole as possible. Then you can put a wrench on the nut and try to turn it. The heat will from the weld helps also.

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

Do you have a pic of it?

Mark

whman01

Have you ever tried the candle wax method?  I had a set screw on the wheel hub that broke and could not get it out.  I heated the bottom of the bolt and dripped wax from a candle on to the bolt.  Then used an easy out and it came out.

• Like 4

Sarge

Best wax method/heat to use is paraffin wax from the grocery store's canning section - comes in 1lb blocks - stuff is amazing what it will penetrate .

Sarge

• Like 1

eibbed

Well I'll pick up some Paraffin along with a new bottle of propane for my torch.  I don't think I was getting it hot enough.

I'm working on getting a picture posted.  My "Red Square Member Support" had expired, so I'm in the process of renewal.

Dave

DSC08886.JPG

Edited by eibbed
  • Like 1

Sarge

Use MAPP gas instead , heats faster and to a higher temperature .

As to the paraffin - I use my band saw to cut it into square sticks , they live in the tool boxes , next to the drill press and in the lathe's tooling support cart . Makes the band saw cut nicely too , btw...

Sarge

• Like 3

chris sutton

That's interesting about the wax, ive never heard of that before, wonder if paraffin wax is available here in the UK

Just checked it out, its used for candel making, i'll get some next time I go to town

Sarge

In many cases candle wax is different in the way it's made compared to food grade canning wax . I know canning is fairly popular in the UK - talk to some of those old women and ask where they get it .

It's an old machinists' trick used to remove those stubborn threaded plugs from cast iron engine blocks - never seen it fail yet .

Guess I should do a video some time.

Sarge

• Like 1

eibbed

Sarge my wife says she will pick some paraffin up in the canning section at the grocery store the next time she goes. Hopefully some time soon.

I haven't gotten myself to Home Depot yet to pick up the Map Gas.

We have both been busy in the yard before the cold front moves in.

I hope to update you soon. 

Dave

Edited by eibbed
clarification of my wording

eibbed

Well, I tried the Map Gas, Paraffin Wax, and easy out with crescent wrench and cheater pipe, but no luck.

I am going to take it to a machine shop to see if they will remove it for me.

Thanks for all the help.  It just didn't work for me.

Dave

953 nut
1 hour ago, eibbed said:

machine shop to see if they will remove it for me.

If you drill it out with progressively larger drill bit sizes until you just touch the threads; then use a small punch to collapse the remaining metal you should be able to save it.

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

953nut, I was about to suggest that. It's not a blind hole so it shouldn't be terribly difficult. If drilled off center or crooked, use a dremel with a rotary file (at low speed) to cut the old bolt to the threads then carefully re tap the hole. Carefully. Removing broken taps is a whole new science that most do not want to get into. Eibbed, if you want to mail that part to me, I'll remove that bolt, dress up the threads and send it back to you. 

Mark. 

• Like 4

eibbed

Hacksawhero123

Wow, that sounds great!

PM your shipping info, and I will send the foot rest to you.

Thanks alot,

Dave

Hacksawhero123

Pm sent

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Eibbed, if you want to mail that part to me, I'll remove that bolt, dress up the threads and send it back to you. 

Assistance like this is what makes our :wh: family so great!  :bow-blue:                                          :thanks:

• Like 2

eibbed
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Assistance like this is what makes our :wh: family so great!  :bow-blue:                                          :thanks:

It is definitely Priceless!

• Like 1

lynnmor

The hole looks bad, I think that boring and tapping it for a Heli-Coil might give a better result.

Sarge

Believe it or not , I do a lot of services here like this - removal of broken fasteners , repairing bad casting holes , fixing cracks and broken parts , moving bolt holes over to another spot - it's amazing what shows up from UPS or the mail system for repairs at times . I even get messed up "mystery parts" that have no note , only a return address on the package . Usually within a week the mystery part is followed by a phone call or text explaining what needs to be done , and who it belongs to ...or to at least where to send the bill ...lol .

Most of this stuff can be done by local welding shops - it's the backbone of what they do besides just basic fabrication/welding . The only problem may be you need the part quickly done and they are more of the "when I get time to do it " sort - never expect them to drop what they're doing and take care of your project - it's a fast way to make an enemy out of someone that could be your best resource .

Sarge

• Like 2

jeff lary

That is a really great offer hopefully he will have a moment to snap a photo or two of his repair process. Good on you Hacksaw !

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

Dave, did your foot rest make its way back to you? 

Mark. 

eibbed

Hi Mark,

Yes it did.  It arrived in the mail today and it looks absolutely great!

I have always liked this style foot rest, so it is going on my 702.

To me, it will always be a warm reminder of your generosity.

And thanks to all of my fellow Red Square Members who have helpfully commented on this project. 

I hope you don't mind, but I took a picture to show off your good work.

Thanks again,

Dave 

DSC09299.JPG

Edited by eibbed
  • Like 4

wallfish

Nice work @Hacksawhero123.

Although this had absolutely nothing to do with me, I'd still like to thank you for helping out a fellow RS member!

• Like 2