WHX??

Two-Stage Blower Help

WHX??

Two stage for 2 Franklins...I think I stole it :ph34r:.  Model 79361 SN 6900607 so my guess would be 1997? Found  out about it through my daily CL saved  Wheel Horse  search email blast. Immediately I recognized the seller as a local guy who awhile back had an implement package I SHOULD have bought...:angry-banghead: I had him in my contacts yet so a quick  phone call held it for me. He had it on CL for 350, dropped it to 250 and when he recognized me 200.

It's in pretty decent shape but down side all is not there ... missing the chute rotate crank & support & for sure the 117556  lift rod. Any chance you would have the rod Lowell ? @wheelhorseman1000 The crank & support I can easily make.  Not quite sure what else might be missing. . Downloaded the manuals so will have to study them as well. Any help/tips from you 2 stg veterans is appreciated as always.

More pics to come once I get into fitting it up to the 520.

20161109_144839[2].jpg

• Like 5

wheelhorseman

I will see what I got - I can get you some pictures if you need them of my 2 stage mounted up to my 520 with 72 hours on it!

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 3

Kurt-NEPA

Two pieces on that crank.  If you need dimensions to make them let me know.  Easy fab job.

• Like 3

WHX??

Thanks bro...:beer: some dims of that lift rod would help

Yes Kurt I was thinking it was one piece.

IPL shows one piece

Looks like the support can be fashioned out of  conduit

Never had such a quick easy CL score ... in my trailer less than a hr after I saw it!

12 minutes ago, wheelhorseman1000 said:

my 520 with 72 hours on it!

yah rub it in !

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

I just took another look at your pic. There are two pieces, one is a short tube and the other a rod bent into a crank.  Looks like you have the tube.  I'll get some dimension on that crank rod once the sun come up!  Should be easy to make.

Kurt

• Like 2

wallfish

Electric chute control is an option. Couple different ways to do them. Fairly simple and you can do the deflector too with small actuator

58239c14ae540_20161109_1448392.thumb.jpg.847ac5bdcd0f19416aee9bfa34deb8c0.jpg

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

The crank rod is the same from a single stage tall chute I know that for sure (I made an extension to bring mine closer into the cab, did you get the frame mounted rear belt guard/sway bar support (1st pic) if not I have one available and sway bar (2cd pic) I don't have an extra 1 of those? Then you'll be chucking snow like the last pic,Jeff.

Screenshot_2015-10-23-10-25-59.png

post-11822-0-63300900-1416158778_thumb.jpg

IMAG2507.jpg

IMAG2445.jpg

895.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

Don't think I got that sway bar thingy Jeff...or that rubber thingy on the front. After studying your pics & the IPL more I think ther is a 520 running around out there with my parts on it. Count me in if you have one available. You guys know how it is that never fails to amaze us how these things get left behind on a tractor or ditched by a PO. More pics in the AM ....thanks for the help fellas.

Oh BTW Billy that last pic makes me want it to snow bigtime:greetings-clappingyellow:...that beast has gotta be throwing it 40 yards!

Edited by WHX8
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

That's what I like about this place, teamwork.

Jim, nice grab on that blower.

Glenn

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, WHX8 said:

Don't think I got that sway bar thingy Jeff...or that rubber thingy on the front. After studying your pics & the IPL more I think ther is a 520 running around out there with my parts on it. Count me in if you have one available. You guys know how it is that never fails to amaze us how these things get left behind on a tractor or ditched by a PO. More pics in the AM ....thanks for the help fellas.

Oh BTW Billy that last pic makes me want it to snow bigtime:greetings-clappingyellow:...that beast has gotta be throwing it 40 yards!

Jim, that's why I have an extra belt guard/sway bar mount, P.O. had it still mounted on on his 315-8 so I made my own to mount to the frame w/o the belt guard support (black in these pics), and the sway bar is ALL steel the black round part "rolls" against the blower frame where the pulleys and Jack shaft gearbox are mounted, maybe not needed but keeps the stress off the attach-a-matic when making a turn with the blower down, also that big black spring is a lift assist spring same as for the tiller takes some stress off the lift (especially a manual lift tractor),Jeff. (Oh BTW the small spring under the frame brace is for the tiller idler)

Sway bar mount...

IMAG2441.jpg

Sway bar from front...post-11822-0-63300900-1416158778_thumb.jpg

Sway bar and lift assist spring...

IMAG2440.jpg

IMAG2505.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

cleat

The lift assist spring is important with hydro lift as well as it allows the blower to float more and helps it from digging down into the ground on gravel and should actually help with steering to a point as it is pulling up on the blower.

Also without it the blower lifts crooked with the right side barely lifting off the ground.

• Like 2

roadapples

You`ll also need some weight in the rear. As you know by now, these things are heavy....

• Like 1

WHX??

Thanks Cleat will keep that in mind. I appears that is the same 4629 that is used on tillers and my 1 stage blower. There also appears to be another lift spring (110614) on the lift rod that goes from a loop on the lift rod to the mid attach if I am guessing correct? Also looks like there are some springs on it now will have to see if they are correct or not.

PM sent on the 117550 bracket Jeff... so it looks like all I will need then is the 79-2530 bracket/bumper which possible I can fabricate.

15 hours ago, wallfish said:

Electric chute control is an option

Saw what a couple of other guys did 'fish :handgestures-thumbupright:... a good option ...will do some research on those threads.

20161109_195221.jpg

3 minutes ago, roadapples said:

these things are heavy

Actually Jay I didn't think they were all that heavy as I read, I was easily able to move it around by myself with just a hand truck. Wil def be borrowing some weights off a plow tractor tho!

20161109_195347.jpg

20161109_195443.jpg

• Like 1

cafoose

This is what I did and it works great! :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

I saw the comment that the two stage and single stage used the same cranks.  Here is a picture of my two.  Top (silver) is from my two stage and the bottom (Black) is from my single stage.  Same dimensions but the single stage has a rotating handle.

Snow Blower Cranks - Top from Two Stage - bottom from Single Stage.jpg

Here are the dimensions

Snow Blower Crank Dimensions.jpg

Also, my two stage has a longer connection tube so that the crank can be used with a cab.

Crank.jpg

Kurt

My two stage was missing the sway bar also, so I made my own.  Sway Bar 1.jpg

Sway Bar 2.jpg

I used some 1/2" HMW Poly for the rub block.  It works just fine, but limits the opening of the hood.

Kurt

• Like 3

cleat

I don't have the spring on the lift rod.

That may be just used with the non-hydro lift.

Kurt-NEPA
22 minutes ago, cleat said:

I don't have the spring on the lift rod.

I don't have one either, but my 520H is just fine with out it.

• Like 2

Forest Road

Mine didn't come w a lift rod or sway bar and bumper. I was able to borrow a lift bar to copy. Works great! I finally found a sway bar, bumper & belt guard assembly. Haven't ever installed any of them. It's one less thing to mess around with. It's been a few years now and I haven't had any problems without those pieces.

im open to suggestions for installing the lift spring. I use a hydro and thought it unnecessary. 

• Like 1

WHX??
40 minutes ago, Forest Road said:

Haven't ever installed any of them

I beginning to think the same thing ... I do need the lift rod tho so if someone has one or can get me measurements to make one that would be great!

I have been finding good threads on working on these and doing mods! :)

WHX??

Just found this as well -- thanks @cleat Just reposting it here for my future reference when I get going on it.

BTW I did find a lift rod at Partstree .... for 160 clams:jaw: ...looks like I will be making one! Oddly enough they have the belt guard yet for a mere 13 clams. From Cleat's  pictorial looks easy enough to make as well.

21 hours ago, rokon said:

This is the motor I am using for electric shute rotation

You'll have to show how your doing it @rokon

Edited by WHX8

Forest Road
2 hours ago, WHX8 said:

I beginning to think the same thing ... I do need the lift rod tho so if someone has one or can get me measurements to make one that would be great!

I have been finding good threads on working on these and doing mods! :)

Unfortunately mine is 225 miles north at the family getaway. Wish I could be more helpful. Although I must say. Watching the white stuff fly 40' is well worth the headaches you're currently suffering. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
10 hours ago, WHX8 said:

Thanks Cleat will keep that in mind. I appears that is the same 4629 that is used on tillers and my 1 stage blower. There also appears to be another lift spring (110614) on the lift rod that goes from a loop on the lift rod to the mid attach if I am guessing correct? Also looks like there are some springs on it now will have to see if they are correct or not.

PM sent on the 117550 bracket Jeff... so it looks like all I will need then is the 79-2530 bracket/bumper which possible I can fabricate.

Saw what a couple of other guys did 'fish :handgestures-thumbupright:... a good option ...will do some research on those threads.

20161109_195221.jpg

Actually Jay I didn't think they were all that heavy as I read, I was easily able to move it around by myself with just a hand truck. Wil def be borrowing some weights off a plow tractor tho!

20161109_195347.jpg

20161109_195443.jpg

Jim it looks like the P.O. was using those 2 linked springs under the pulleys as the lift assist spring which may have been easier to install than the original style which is a PITA but doable thank goodness I have 2 more 520s to keep each dedicated for certain jobs,Jeff.

• Like 1

cleat

Actually, Wheel Horse made installing that spring not too bad with the latching mechanism that goes in the front Tach.

You pull the handle up, attach the spring, then latch it down tensioning the spring (helps to hold the blower up with a floor jack while you do this).

• Like 1

WHX??
13 hours ago, Forest Road said:

Watching the white stuff fly 40'

:text-yeahthat::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:  inside a nice cab of course!  I think we will have to start a thread again this year on :wh: 's moving/blowing white stuff!

895_thumb_jpg_754ace706c2dde5e47adf27f29ec0b3d.jpg

Yes no hurry on the bracket 'billy... I am thinking about getting it in the shop (when I have room and get other projects out of the way :hide:) and going through the whole thing and doing that auger bearing conversion thing and an electric chute rotator. I still have the trusty single to get me thru this winter plus a walk behind and the 4 wheeler plow. 

• Like 1