George Washington

Noob needs advice

George Washington

Ok, im new to Wheel Horses and I'm in love - I picked up a D-200 a few months ago for super cheap ($150) and sold it a week later when someone offered me a pile of cash. I regret selling it but after some research I found a 520h for sale (pic attached). It has 800 hours, looks like it has been taken care of, and comes with a box blade and wheel weights and a 42 inch deck. I'm told that it overheats a bit after 30 minutes but I'm thinking there is a fix for that. My questions are what all attachments will this thing take and is it really the beast that I've heard that it is? I know its not a D-200 but I want to be able to hook up about anything and be able to work. I wouldn't be working it daily - mostly just weekend stuff on my 8 acres. A little bit of everything, plowing, discing, tilling, grading, and mowing - thanks in advance for the advice!

wheel horse.jpg

Edited by George Washington
  • Like 8

Digger 66

Welcome to Redsquare .

Looks like you even got the matching battery charger :D

Edited by Digger 66

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

A bunch of 520H guys will be along shortly...:wh:

lynnmor

The first thing that I would address is the over heating. If the engine is the problem, pull the tin off and clean the fins completely.  These engines will have a valve seat failure if run hot.

If the transmission runs hot, check for a damaged, loose or missing fan.  Clean those fins as well.

It is a good idea to do this service regardless.

• Like 2

smoreau

Most attachments will fit the 520. Dozer blade will require a extension. Other then that any attachment should fit, but may need a different belt. Power is great and the trans is strong. Regular maintenance with this tractor is a must! Onen engines are thirsty! But if its not mantained it will cost you 10 more times the maintenance cost.  

Edited by smoreau

oldlineman

Welcome to the square nice tractor not an expert on 520's but I believe that is a 48" deck if cut adjustment is on the left 48", on the right 42". Have fun :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

Walt

:WRS: 

Wishin4a416

Welcome to the forum. You have a nice project tractor there. Looks to be in nice shape.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Agree on the regular maintenance on the 520 (as well as all machines)!

Keep those engine fins clean!

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

mr washington,      :wh:      :text-welcomeconfetti:

Glenn

you were a great president

• Like 3

ericj

if the fan on the trans is put on backwards it will cause the trans to overheat. but for the life of me I can't remember which way it is suppose to pull air across the trans somebody else will hopefully chime in that remembers, good luck

eric j  

WheelHorseNut
7 hours ago, George Washington said:

Ok, im new to Wheel Horses and I'm in love - I picked up a D-200 a few months ago for super cheap ($150) and sold it a week later when someone offered me a pile of cash. I regret selling it but after some research I found a 520h for sale (pic attached). It has 800 hours, looks like it has been taken care of, and comes with a box blade and wheel weights and a 42 inch deck. I'm told that it overheats a bit after 30 minutes but I'm thinking there is a fix for that. My questions are what all attachments will this thing take and is it really the beast that I've heard that it is? I know its not a D-200 but I want to be able to hook up about anything and be able to work. I wouldn't be working it daily - mostly just weekend stuff on my 8 acres. A little bit of everything, plowing, discing, tilling, grading, and mowing - thanks in advance for the advice!

wheel horse.jpg

Nice tractor!  Sorry, I nearly choked when I read what you bought your D200 for!  Holy cow!

That 520H looks great though!

• Like 2

Tankman

Nice Horse! Yes, 48" SD deck, height adjustment on the right.

Be sure to clean all the engine and trans fan. Post your progress, we Horses' need updates!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

• Like 1

George Washington

I should clarify that I have not bought the 520h yet - im going to check it out Friday. He is asking $500 which seems like a smoking deal as long as its as nice in person.

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to the best wheel horse site ever. That said I don't think there is a guy or girl here that would not pull his arms off for that price. That is a steal.

But I would offer him $400.00 to see if he wants to just dump it. Never know.

I missed a deal on a 520h with plow and 48" deck by a few minutes for $400.00 and I still hurt every time I think of it.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

One of the more desirable WHs.  I really don't need it but I DO desire it.  Most all C, 300,400 and 500 series attachments will fit, though as already noted the dozer blade will need extension.  This is because it has a forward swept axle that will also accommodate the 60" deck.  I'm guessing you'll have to spend some time pulling the engine tin off and blowing out fins.  My 2 cents from mowing with my 416 Onan is that there are better engine choices for mowing.  Mine is however a great leaf and grass cutting collector!  Seems they all try to gather on the engine shroud!  Won't help with engine cooling!

And if I might interject a question, guys, does the swept axle also mean steering gear reduction?  Either way I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy it!  Hubcaps, weights and if that was a 48" deck?  Yep!  Silly match up IMHO to put a 42" on that 20 hp beast!

• Like 2

TDF5G

That is a very good price on the 520H IMO, George, and I would not tell you a lie! :rolleyes:  You could always offer a little less.  

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

Welcome to Red Square -  Looks like you found a great deal on a nice 520H.  I agree with some others.  If it  overheating, I would you pull the engine shrouds and clean the cylinders and heads.  Most likely it packed with oil, dirt, and grass.  Especially the rear cylinder.  Even if it wasn't overheating, I would suggest you do that.

Lots of help here if you decide to get it.

Kurt

• Like 2

Wishin4a416
On 11/9/2016 at 2:23 PM, DennisThornton said:

And if I might interject a question, guys, does the swept axle also mean steering gear reduction? 

No Dennis. I dont know for sure what years but I parted out a 90 that had swept axle and no gear reduction.

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 2

DougC

Is it the Eng. temp. light or the Hydro Temp. light on the dash that comes on after 30 min.?

Or why does the seller think it is over heating? What are the symptoms?

Does it smoke when starting up, increasing the throttle or under load?

500 dollars is a lot of money to buy a tractor that will cost you 1,500 dollars to repair if the Onan has a valve seat problem....

Beware of sellers selling a tractor with a problem......

They are quite often not telling you the entire truth.... It has been my experience....:twocents-02cents:     :)

• Like 1

George Washington

DougC - is there something specific that I could look for to determine if there are issues with the valve seat or if permanent damage to the engine has been done? I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning.

George Washington

nevermind - it just sold :(- only a few hours before i was supposed to go get it - oh well, easy come easy go. I did find a C160 for $200 and its closer so may go check that out tomorrow instead

953 nut
8 minutes ago, George Washington said:

nevermind - it just sold :(- only a few hours before i was supposed to go get it - oh well, easy come easy go. I did find a C160 for $200 and its closer so may go check that out tomorrow instead

:text-imsorry:     BUT      :WRS:     C-160 for $200    :woohoo:         :wwp:

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut
9 minutes ago, George Washington said:

That's  a good tractor as well!  It's actually on my list of tractors to get.  Of all the posts I read here, anyone who has one seems to like it.

Sorry that one fell through for you!  I know what it's like, believe me!

• Like 1