Zappullae

Onan P220 Fuel Pump

Zappullae

Hi, I have a Toro mower with an Onan P220 engine that won't start after sitting for a year.  Last year I had a Toro dealer clean and rebuild the carb because it was surging.  It ran fine for a while but the surging happened once or twice, not as much as it used to.  It will start and run if I put gas or starter fluid into the carb but once that's removed it stops.  I've replaced the fuel filter and narrowed down what I think the problem is to the fuel pump because I don't see any gas coming out of it. There is a clear line from the gas tank to the pump and I tried priming the line with gas.  I can feel a slight suction on the intake of the pump when I crank it but I'm not sure its right. The back of the pump has what I think is a vacuum line attached.  There isn't much play in it and it disappears behind the blower housing.  Where does it connect to the engine?  I'm thinking it might have a leak and need to replace it.  Any help will be appreciated.  

Thanks...ed

Edited by Zappullae
typeo

Zappullae

Update.  The engine runs fine if I hook a small tank to the fuel line going to the carb.  So its either a vacuum leak or the pump is shot.

cleat

If you want a cheap pump then a briggs pump will work.

If you want one that looks and installs as original then what I use are these pumps from Flip manufacturing.

https://flipmfg.com/collections/onan/products/onan-generator-welder-fuel-pump-b-p-series-replaces-149-1982-flipmfg-578921

I have been buying the 2 pack to save a bit per pump.

https://flipmfg.com/collections/onan/products/fuel-pump-2-pack-fits-cummins-onan-generator-149-1982-149-1544-149-2191

They seem to work just fine.

1995 520H+96+97

Take the crankcase breather apart, the steel wool maybe touching the four balls.

cleat

You know I have never checked that in any of my 520's.

I will add that to my 'To Do' list.

cleat

I just remembered that two of mine are older and have the reed valve in the valve cover.

I did not realize that there were balls in the newer style breathers.

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, Zappullae said:

I was looking at this Flip pump...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flip-MFG-Generator-Fuel-Pump-Fits-Cummins-and-Onan-149-1982-149-1544-149-2187-/181663177513

And wondering what that can was off the carb.  Now I know.   I'll take a look in the morning.

Thanks for the help all.

2016-11-06_17-16-15.png

20161106_171417.jpg

That's where I got mine looks/works just the O.E. for a lot less and a 2 pack would leave you a spare for later down the road ,Jeff.

Dirtdog524

You mention that the tractor has not run for a year or so. Before you buy a fuel pump, take the gas line off at the fuel tank and make sure that the screen in the tank is not full of crud blocking free flow of  gasoline. I know it sounds a little simplistic but there are times when it is just that easy.

• Like 1

Zappullae

Yup.   Good flow out at the pump inlet.

Zappullae

The breather looks good.  I pushed the steel wool down a bit but don't think it was interfering with the steel balls.  The balls move freely too.   I cranked with the breather open and didn't get much vacuum at the gas inlet of the pump. So I took the fuel pump off and there's good vacuum / pulse at coming from the engine.  There was also some gas in the pump but still nothing comes out.  Time to try a new pump.

woodchuckfarmer

Go with an electric pump, it will start better. No cranking and cranking to get fuel to the carb.  I put one o

n my 520 best thing I did to it           Wayne       

• Like 1

cleat

That is also a good idea.

Since I have 4 of these beasts, some will sit for a while between startups. That leads to extended cranking to pump fuel back to the carb.

An electric pump would solve that problem.

• Like 2

Jerry77
12 hours ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Go with an electric pump

Get one that is 3 psi or less....I got one that is 1.5 to 2.5 psi..works great. most autoparts stores don't have the weaker ones..NAPA might...got mine online...:twocents-02cents:

Zappullae

Hey now!  Back up and running.  It took an hour to put the pump on.  You think they could spare ¼” more vacuum hose for the pulse line.  What a struggle to get it attached.  No room to work.  Thanks for all he help.  The dealer wanted $180 for the pump but I got it on eBay in 3 days for $15.  Amazing.

So where does the other end of the pulse line go to and how does the blower housing come off?

cleat

What pump did you end up using ?

woodchuckfarmer

Me, I got the electric pump from NAPA.

• Like 1

cleat

That is a great deal.

I paid more than that..

lynnmor

If you can find a place to fit it, I would think that a primer bulb would cure the excess cranking problem.  Yes, the electric pump is a good idea, this is just another option.

primer bulb

WHX??

We running boats now Lynn? :ychain:

Cleat that herd you got you should be buying them in four pack! :ychain:

:WRS: Zapp