BOBTHEBOPPER

Kick back during starting on K 321 engine

BOBTHEBOPPER

I have a cub model 147 with a Kohler 14HP K-321 engine with battery ignition. Sometimes when starting the engine it has a tendency to kick back. I have checked the point gap which is correct at .020 and checked the spark plug gap which is correct at .035. The carb is adjusted correctly. How can I get rid of the dreaded kickback. Appreciate any help.

953 nut

Give this a try, timing is set by your points, but this method is a way to be sure it is right.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

gwest_ca

If the valve clearance is too wide the ACR (Automatic compression release) won't work. Worth checking.

Garry

• Like 1

Don1977

Check the flywheel key. If it's damaged or missing the timing to be too high causing kickback. We used to run offset key in 5  HP go kart engines. They would kickback hard enough to jerk your arm out of joint.

• Like 1

WHX??

Excuse me for being :text-imwithstupid:but what is the s - hole (no pun intended)   he is talking about in @953 nut's link??

pfrederi

I assume he is talking abut the hole in the front of the blower shroud you look through to see the timing marks on the flywheel

• Like 1

WHX??

Do all K's have them or just the 321?

pfrederi

I have K181, 241 and 301 in the shop right now.  all have the hole.  One has a snap in plug in the hole the others long since lost I suppose

• Like 1

Hossenfeffa

Set the points at .018, see if that helps

• Like 1

BOBTHEBOPPER

Thanks guys but am haveing a slight problem, 953 nut responed with good information however there is no slght hole in the bearing plate or in the shroud.  What happened and where???  Any way I think Hossenfeffa solved my problem. I will set the points @ .018 and see if the "dreaded kickback"  vanishes.  I  will give it a shot and let you know.

953 nut

There could ba a plug covering the hole.

Kohler static timing.JPG