Michael J. Shaffer

Kwik-Way Loader Wear Bar / Edge

Michael J. Shaffer

I apologize if this has already been discussed and/or answered. I searched as thorowly as possilble and found no thread on this.

I/we (apex-techs) have a Kwik-Way Loader. It is missing the wear bar / edge and we would like to obtain one, so as not to wear down the actual bucket. I cannot find a part number in any of my searches. Does anyone on "the square" know if Kwik-Way made/makes this? There are visible holes all along the leading lower edge of the bucket (much like a snow plow/dozer blade) which leads me to believe that it did come with one, when new. We will be mounting this on a 520-H. We acquired the loader with a 518-H that was "ridden hard & put away wet" and doesn't have the heavy duty front axle (hence, why we're putting on the 520-HB)). Any help will be very appreciated.

Also, any other do's don'ts tips and maintenance advise will help ;).

Thank you,

Michael

lynnmor

I have a Kwik-Way on a 520H.  There are no holes in mine and I guess that yours was drilled by the previous owner.  Just get a piece of steel and transfer the holes or weld the steel and eliminate the problems with bolts causing damage or hindering dumping.

One issue is that the pump is mounted on the sub frame and the belt tension varies, so be careful that you don't overload the pump but still have enough tension.  A center hitch in good condition will help.  I used the widest belt possible so the tension can be less.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

Michael J. Shaffer
28 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I have a Kwik-Way on a 520H.  There are no holes in mine and I guess that yours was drilled by the previous owner.  Just get a piece of steel and transfer the holes or weld the steel and eliminate the problems with bolts causing damage or hindering dumping.

One issue is that the pump is mounted on the sub frame and the belt tension varies, so be careful that you don't overload the pump but still have enough tension.  A center hitch in good condition will help.  I used the widest belt possible so the tension can be less.

Thanks for all the information and advise. We will make sure to check the belt tension. Great idea on the wear edge!

Best regards,

Michael.

ACman

Every loaded I've encountered has had the cutting edge welded on . It's al long tedious process of grinding off the welds then replacing it with a new one  :tools-hammerdrill: . Go to your local ag tractor dealer and they should know where to get universal replacement edge  :twocents-02cents: .

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

Kwik way still exists but they will be ZERO help to you.  They offer no support to loader owners unless you have the loader they currently build for the simplicity legacy tractors.  And even then they'll probably refer you to a simplicity dealer.

I know this because one year ago I did a complete resto-mod on a kwikway loader.  They are no help.

If you need a new cutting edge, just search loader cutting edge on eBay.  Tons of custom solutions there

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 1

Michael J. Shaffer
19 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Kwik way still exists but they will be ZERO help to you.  They offer no support to loader owners unless you have the loader they currently build for the simplicity legacy tractors.  And even then they'll probably refer you to a simplicity dealer.

I know this because one year ago I did a complete resto-mod on a kwikway loader.  They are no help.

If you need a new cutting edge, just search loader cutting edge on eBay.  Tons of custom solutions there

Thanks for all the information. I was kind of getting that feeling, from Kwik-Way (no help at all).

WHX??

Michael .....:wwp:

Michael J. Shaffer
12 minutes ago, WHX8 said:

I will make sure to post them. I promise. We're picking up our 4th 520-H today. Once we swap out the 518-H (the one the loader is currently on) for the 520-H, I will make sure to take plenty of photos.

WHX??

FOURTH!!! You'd  better put the patch on your signature &   join the 520 club then!

Forest Road
22 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

I have to disagree. Albeit they're no longer manufacturing loaders for garden tractors they're still willing to pickup the phone and answer questions. I contacted them 2-3 years ago for a loader manual for my 522xi. They shipped one free of charge.

Tried them again last year for a new loader bucket. Said he had one left and ZERO plans to make anymore. For the price of shipping I opted to make repairs to mine. 

As as for  anew cutting edge just visit

a local metal shop and have one cut. 

Snowmobileaddict
2 hours ago, Forest Road said:

I have to disagree. Albeit they're no longer manufacturing loaders for garden tractors they're still willing to pickup the phone and answer questions. I contacted them 2-3 years ago for a loader manual for my 522xi. They shipped one free of charge.

Tried them again last year for a new loader bucket. Said he had one left and ZERO plans to make anymore. For the price of shipping I opted to make repairs to mine. 

Clearly we dealt with different folks on the phone there at different times.  The people I spoke with in December 2015 wouldn't even e-mail me a manual.  And believe me, I know how to talk on the telephone and be respectful.  Both times I called, people were very short and in a hurry.  Maybe this was after Bleu MFG took them over.  The family that started Kwikway (Don Molstad) sold to Bleu not all that long ago.  Their interests are more aligned with skid loader attachments now. 

Forest Road
6 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Clearly we dealt with different folks on the phone there at different times.  The people I spoke with in December 2015 wouldn't even e-mail me a manual.  And believe me, I know how to talk on the telephone and be respectful.  Both times I called, people were very short and in a hurry.  Maybe this was after Bleu MFG took them over.  The family that started Kwikway (Don Molstad) sold to Bleu not all that long ago.  Their interests are more aligned with skid loader attachments now. 

I don't know anything about the sale. We clearly had 2 completely different experiences. Did u ever get a manual?  

MalMac

One thing to keep in mind is, the cutting edge is only as strong as what it is mated to. The cutting edge can give a false sense of security thinking its protecting the bucket from wear. The Kwik-Way bucket is not made of a very thick steel It's very easy to crack, rip the steel a cutting edge would be bolted or welded to. Even though a protective cutting edge is warranted, care should be taken to how it's mounted. 

Snowmobileaddict
11 hours ago, Forest Road said:

I don't know anything about the sale. We clearly had 2 completely different experiences. Did u ever get a manual?  

Doc724 was super helpful and snail mailed me a manual for the kwik way loader that he owns for his 5xi.

I made a hi-red scan of it an posted it in the manuals section of this site.  

Doc was also super helpful in providing numerous critical measurements that I needed in order to fabricate a sub frame for my loader to mount it to my 5Xi

• Like 1

Michael J. Shaffer
23 hours ago, WHX8 said:

FOURTH!!! You'd  better put the patch on your signature &   join the 520 club then!

Edited by Michael Shaffer
Signature didn't work

Michael J. Shaffer
On 10/31/2016 at 9:42 AM, WHX8 said:

In the first picture, apex-tech is backing up the most recent 520-H that we picked up yesterday. This included all the manuals, 48" side discharge deck, vacuum bagger, snow cab (Original Cab Company), 42" dozer/snow blade, wheel weight, show chains and some other goodies as well. We took off the roof & vinyl from the snow cab for transport.

Horses 1.jpg

Horses_4.jpg

WHX??

Nice collection of 520's there!:handgestures-thumbupright: Hopefully the vac baggers work with the leaves you have there!

• Like 1

Michael J. Shaffer

Just now, WHX8 said:

Nice collection of 520's there!:handgestures-thumbupright: Hopefully the vac baggers work with the leaves you have there!

Thanks! They work VERY well. I have 2 more photos but having issue up-loading. 

CasualObserver

Your picture upload may be limited by your membership status?  

• Like 2

Michael J. Shaffer
1 minute ago, CasualObserver said:

Your picture upload may be limited by your membership status?  

Thank you. I didn't know that. I am new to the Square. I guess I have shared all I can, for now (picture wise)

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Need to go vac the neighbor's  lawn & earn a couple of bucks for that supporter status!! Won't take long with those tractors!

Michael J. Shaffer
On 10/31/2016 at 9:56 AM, Michael Shaffer said:

I will make sure to post them. I promise. We're picking up our 4th 520-H today. Once we swap out the 518-H (the one the loader is currently on) for the 520-H, I will make sure to take plenty of photos.

Michael J. Shaffer

Here is a link to all the photos, including the new 520-H, from last night 

Edited by Michael Shaffer
Misspelling
  • Like 1