Detector

312-H muffler

Detector

I need some ideas on removing my muffler, it looks pretty bad. I got the clamp loose but the muffler where it slides on is brittle and flakes away easy, I used a small chisel and a jeweler hammer and with one light tap it chipped as you can see in the photo. I talked with the guys at POR-15 today and decided to go with their brush on high temp coating, the rep recommended sand blasting and hand sanding as a last option for best results, I may have to go with the last option unless you guys have some tips. 

image.jpg

DennisThornton

Bigger hammer?  Oxy/Acet torch?

Just get after it with your hammer and chisel and spread the split area.  

You mean to remove it, repaint and reinstall?  I've missed something?

• Like 1

Detector

That's the issue, I lightly hit it under the split area and its chipping instead of spreading open. Sorry but yes I meant remove, sandblast, paint, reinstall....

Hossenfeffa

Heat. Preferably with oxy acetylene torch set up

• Like 2

Detector
1 minute ago, Hossenfeffa said:

Heat. Preferably with oxy acetylene torch set up

I have zero experience with torches but a guy I know does, I'll let him take a look at it. Thanks

• Like 1

312Hydro

Do a search on E-tank rust removal or just rust removal and it will come up. Members have had good results with electrolysis, even freeing up rusted c-clamps. It will only remove rust.:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright: I assumed you had it off the engine,sorry. You could also spray penetrant and use heat as others have suggested.If you could get the elbow and muffler off together I would try the E-tank.

Edited by 312Hydro
  • Like 1

Detector

I may soak it with PB blaster again which did free up the rusty clamp bolts which kept me from cutting it off, it's a eye sore considering how the rest of the tractor looks so far into my restoration. Now that you mention it the E-tank would be less aggressive than my sandblaster which would likely blow through the thin areas. If all fails I'll have to sand it where it is the best I can and apply the POR 15. 

DennisThornton

Sandblaster or electrolysis it will look rust pitted even after painted...  If sandblasting blows through you had very little time left anyway.

• Like 1

Detector
4 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Sandblaster or electrolysis it will look rust pitted even after painted...  If sandblasting blows through you had very little time left anyway.

Yep, you right, one backfire & I'd be in trouble. I'm might as well be in the market for a new/used muffler either way. I looked under my model number 31-12KE01 and could not locate it for the M12 on Partstree but I may had overlooked it, I think it is a Toro 94-3739 same as the 312-8 with a hefty price of over $200. 

DennisThornton

Maybe some high temp "ceramic" miracle in a can will buy you some time.  Hey, I'm frugal!  I cut a 1 pound tank down to fix a high price Simplicity muffler.  It just worked out that what was bad was local and the same shape as the tank.  Worked great and I expect years of use.

BTW:

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/

Never used them but I've seen samples.

Detector
8 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

That's the paint I spoke to the Por 15  rep about this week, seems to hold up well on manifolds & headers after reading about it on automotive forums, 8 oz should cover the muffler. The guy with the welding shop said he's heat it up but wasn't comfortable being so close to the head so I may just sand/wire brush/degrease & coat it with the POR-15. I used the regular POR-15 on other projects and it's tough stuff actually the toughest I've seen yet but pricey

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

this is how i remove all old mufflers and pipes that rust in. i searched for a while and one day stumbled over it been using it ever since

http://gardentractortalk.com/articles.html/_/tech-tips-how-to/how-to-remove-a-stuck-muffler-nipple-r123

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak

6wheeler

Just sayin'. The muffler on my C-160 was junk. Toro wanted $275.00 for the replacement. Plus, shipping, $ 12.00. Elbo? $3.50 at ACE Hardware. Lead pipe $18.00 at Fleet Farm. IH tractor Muffler $ 26.00 at Fleet Farm. Bought a raincap for $9.00 at Fleet Farm just cuz it is cool. Got a "stack" for $ 56.50. It looks sweet too. Only saved $230.50 but hey?  BTW, I rounded up. All Prices included MN. sales tax.Why not.  Good Luck.     Pat

Edited by 6wheeler