GMan

520HC vs. 520H Transmissions

GMan

Hey Guys,

I recently bought two 520HC tractors. One is a runner and the other needs quite a bit of work. In doing some prework research I noticed in the operator's manual of the 520H I already had, the top end speed is different between the 520HC models and the 520H models with a difference of almost 1 MPH. Top end on the 520HC is stated to be 7.5 MPH. My question to you guy's is, does anyone know whether these are two totally different transmissions or are they the same transmissions with different gear ratios? I am wrestling with combining the rough 520HC with the 520H to make one good tractor and have several spare parts for the two remaining tractors and if I do that my preference would be to keep the built tractor at the same ground speed capability as the good running HC that I have................Thanks in advance!

Gary H.

Edited by GMan

Bert

I read a thread awhile back that stated the difference was only two gears, the one on the pump and the one it is in contact with. 

TT
2 hours ago, Bert said:

I read a thread awhile back that stated the difference was only two gears, the one on the pump and the one it is in contact with. 

The next two mating gears are also different.

• Like 2

cleat

I have 3 520H's and 1 520HC and I can tell you the speed difference is quite noticeable.

The HC will really move, almost too fast for mowing but Matt's foot kit makes it easier to regulate speed.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Cleat, that's great hard to find info!

Thanks!

So the HC was intended as a "C"ommercial unit?

cleat

I guess so. Swept front axle, larger wheels and tires all around, no chrome, larger air filter, only one indicator light for oil pressure, no hood louvers, reinforced front seat/fender mount, and of course faster speed.

A lot of these upgrades were made standard on later 520H's after Toro took over.

I like the swept axle with standard steering for most jobs as it is faster. Of course with the 2 stage blower hanging off the front the reduction steering is much preferred.

shallowwatersailor
9 hours ago, cleat said:

I have 3 520H's and 1 520HC and I can tell you the speed difference is quite noticeable.

The HC will really move, almost too fast for mowing but Matt's foot kit makes it easier to regulate speed.

That is one of the reasons that Toro installed the "Smart Steer" linkage on the 5xi tractors. Four of the five models came with cruise control so you could imagine an owner running full speed with the cruise on and making a hard turn at 7.5 mph!