Texas Todd

Here Goes the C-160

Wishin4a416

Didn't take you long to make up your mind. Have fun. I did a 160 a couple of years ago. Keep us posted progress.

• Like 2

Thisguyisnew

Forget the PB and cave that sucker in with a punch. There are some good posts on this forum about removing the exhaust fitting with this method and the best part is that it not only works but it is also a lot of fun...

• Like 1

Texas Todd
13 hours ago, Thisguyisnew said:

Forget the PB and cave that sucker in with a punch. There are some good posts on this forum about removing the exhaust fitting with this method and the best part is that it not only works but it is also a lot of fun...

That was good advice! It wasn't pretty but it worked. Had to use  sawzall to cut a slot and it cam on out with some force. Was able to get the nipple in Almost a half inch

Thanks for the tip!

The remains are on top of the head.

Exhaust port.jpg

Exhaust nipple.jpg

I have a companion thread over in the transmission forum regarding my adventure with it...

• Like 3

roadapples

Using this method, wouldn`t you get a lot of metal filings inside the engine?

oldredrider

A shop vac takes care of that issue. I recommend running a tap inside to chase the threads after removing the old pipe.

Texas Todd

Agree on the shop vac. If I had a 1" tap I would do just that. I'll just have to run this nipple in and out a few times and call it good. Maybe I will run across one though......

• Like 1

oldlineman

sometimes you can make severial cuts with a hacksaw in the nipple and it will act somewhat like a tap, use plenty of oil on it.

• Like 3

Texas Todd
1 hour ago, oldlineman said:

sometimes you can make severial cuts with a hacksaw in the nipple and it will act somewhat like a tap, use plenty of oil on it.

Thanks! I will give that a try, but it is going in a half inch. Does it really need more? Seems pretty solid.

DennisThornton

Hacksaw cuts help but you can even grind a taper and cutting grooves just like a tap that will most likely be plenty good enough for a single use!

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Didn't get a great deal done today, but had a great conversation with @stevasaurus and got the transmission cleaned up and ready tp reassemble once the seals and gasket are delivered (Thursday, so they say).  The inside of the transmission is pretty clean after a scrub down of diesel with a wire brush and elbow grease.

case_clean.jpg

guts.jpg

guts2.jpg

Had a little time left so I cleaned up the block and got it painted.

painted block.jpg

Since I have the block painted, I will probably jump in and blast the cover and tins and get that portion finished and ready to reinstall before attacking the next item, which will probably be the frame, or hood, or fender.....Depends on which the way the wind blows.

Edited by HD-Horse
  • Like 9

stevasaurus

Excellent pictures Todd, and excellent talking with you yesterday.  :)

Texas Todd

Likewise sir! Glad you have my back!

Hacksawhero123

On metal filings in the exhaust port. It sounds goofy but....  take a can of foamy shaving cream and shoot a bit to the back of the threaded section. It will catch and hold the filings and crud. When finished, use a shop vac to suck the cream and crud out. A wise old aircraft mechanic showed me that one. 

Mark 

• Like 9

Texas Todd

Just an update. Finally got all the pieces blasted, primed and painted. Now the real challenge sets in....Waiting for the paint to cure before starting to put it back together.

Also, any suggestions on seats is appreciated. The recipient of this tractor, my son-in-law, is about 6'4 and 240 lbs, so I need to find a seat with good suspension and one that can be mounted far enough back so he won't be too cramped.  I have a stack coming from @jimkemp so that decision is made.  I was going to add more white accents but the SIL wanted all red, except the wheels of course. It seems that the disassembly and reassembly are the fun parts. The blasting, grinding and priming is monotonous...Painting isn't bad because you know the reassembly is getting near, but then that impatience gene kicks in....

Tempted to start tearing down the 856, but wisdom says not to have two tractors torn apart at the same time.....

Oh...and...the pics. Rough count is about 200 individual pieces to blast, prime and paint, for the tractor alone......

Painted Pieces.jpg

Painted Pieces 2.jpg

• Like 8

Texas Todd

Patience is over rated.

20161111_180740.jpg

• Like 6

Wishin4a416

Nice! Coming along real good.

Texas Todd

Coming along. Got some No-Mar tire lube to mount the tires. Good stuff. Makes a world of difference.

Picking up one of the Northern V-3500 mid back seat this week. Graphics ordered. Stack on the way.

20161113_161814.jpg

20161113_162549.jpg

20161113_162541.jpg

Couldnt decide on red or black for the seat springs..Went with Red.

And my next project followed me home....

20161113_162712.jpg

• Like 6

Texas Todd

A little more progress today. Hope to wire it up and test fire20161114_171854.jpg Friday or Saturday.

• Like 7

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Todd, what color are you using please? And is that a rattle can Job? It's real purrty, and coming along great. You sure not asleep at the wheel.

Glenn

Texas Todd

Thanks Glenn. Its Rustoleum Regal Red, Acetone and Valspar hardener shot out of a Harbor Freight HVLP gun with a 1.4 tip. The hardener gives it that extra shine and it dries very hard. Primed with Rustoleum self-etching primer. Seems to be a good combination and also allows touch ups with rattle can Rusto.

I painted my mailbox with it a couple months ago to see how the paint would hold up over time.  I figure it has seen more sun than the horses will see in a year or more time and it still looks brand new.  If it still looks new this time next year, then I think the horses paint will hold up well.

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

I love the white engine screen that just pops right out! ohhhhhhhh I love the 160's man!

• Like 2

Texas Todd

I agree! I had it painted red and it just laid there. After doing the one behind it, the choice was simple.