cafoose

654 Predator repower question

cafoose

I'm thinking of re-powering my 654 with a predator 6.5 hp. Does anyone know if it fits without major modifications? I'd rather not cut the hood or anything else if possible.

illinilefttackle

I did a 656 with the Predator- only change was had to make new mounting plate to match holes and raise the engine slightly- Really came out nice!- Good Luck!- Al

DSC04405.jpg

Edited by illinilefttackle
pic
  • Like 4

cafoose
2 hours ago, illinilefttackle said:

DSC04405.jpg

Edited 1 hour ago by illinilefttackle
pic

I did a 656 with the Predator- only change was had to make new mounting plate to match holes and raise the engine slightly- Really came out nice!- Good Luck!- Al

This is not mine it's from the internet but it's basically what mine looks like. Mine is not restored and currently has a Briggs 8 hp that is too big to put the hood on.

Wheel Horse 654

Edited by cafoose
  • Like 1

Achto

IMG_20160227_142609011.jpgIMG_20160221_142330581_HDR.jpg

To avoid cutting sheet metal when I put a 212 in my Suburban I stripped the engine down. I used the stock gas tank for the tractor, a high flow go kart air cleaner, and a custom exhaust. I also ran the breather hose that comes from valve cover to a separate breather filter. Note: if you use a high flow air cleaner you will most likely have to replace or drill out the main jet on the carburetor. I drilled mine out with a #67 drill bit to get it running smooth.

• Like 1

slammer302

The 654 is a round hood I believe so it will be harder. The gastank and muffler will need to be removed from the predator.

Unless you move the engine back and use a shorter belt and make the belt guard shorter

cafoose

Just checked the spec plate on the Kohler in my Commando 8 looks like someone put a K161 in it. Will that fit my 654 with no hood modifications? Can I use the gas tank and starter/generator from the Commando 8 as well?

The fuel pump is not working on the K161 and it looks like it can be rebuilt. Is it simple to do and where can I get a kit?

K161 specs.jpg

Edited by cafoose

Achto

With the K161 7hp engine you would basically be doing the same set up as a 704 so I would think every thing would work. Not positive though.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Schmendrickthemagnificent
      By Schmendrickthemagnificent
      Thoughts and opinions on how to mount a Predator engine on a wheel horse 657, was kinda hoping the mounting bracket would work from the previous engine which apparently looks like a Tecumseh h50 with a Craftsman part number so who knows where it came from... so do I just buy a universal plate from amazon or ebay and drill some holes, find some metal and make one, dunno if anyone has bothered to go thru this already and had a good suggestion or anything I should know about... Thx
    • Daron1965
      By Daron1965
      I was just given a harbour freight 6.5hp predator engine. It started on second pull and seems to run fine. Im thinking of doing some experiments on it. I may buy some of the performance parts for it.  Have any of you had any luck with aftermarket parts for these little engines?
    • ohiostate454
      By ohiostate454
      So I have been working on a 656 I picked up at the end of last year and I did my first ever motor rebuild by my self on it. However it seems that I have lots of play in the piston and some slop at TDC more then I should have. So to finish the year mowing I am thinking of doing a predator swap while I go over the engine again. I am sure several people have done this before and I have a spare mounting plat to make it work. I am wondering if anyone has any pictures of ones they have done for help along the way. I know I will need a adapter to use the factory pulley and I don't want to destroy any of the sheetmetal since it is in good shape. I will keep you posted as I go along and eventually when I get the hh60 back together correctly to re install.
    • WHX??
      By WHX??
      Yah get yer mind out the gutter @AMC RULES So I have this 1855 snapper in other brands classifieds  and  a guy off  CL bites. Said he has this and  willing to trade. I'm at 750 on the Snapper and thinking 100 against for a who knows what Techy? @Achto  thinks it might be a 654 but thought I would run this by the Pros. Gotta admit it might have that nice barn find patina? 

• giddyap
      By giddyap
      This is my first born custom and is still under construction. Only one of the hoods, gutted frame, seat tray and seat are from my recently acquired 551 Suburban. A newer 3 speed transaxle and belt guard will round out the remaining Wheel Horse parts. The front axle is flipped and moved forward 6 inches. Its origin along with the tie rods and steering column comes from a 102 Cub Cadet. Taking 2 steps back for every advance is part of the fun. But now I'm at a loss and overwhelmed at all the V drive pulleys available at Phoenix pulleys. Can anyone suggest what pulley I should use with the 13 hp Predator? Thanks in advance