shedhunter

418c selinoid question

shedhunter

Hi all hope I do this right new here I just bought a 418c  that the owner says keeps going through starter selinoid any reason this keeps happening also needs a  clutch says it just started to slip it also came with a brand new snowplow chains and wheel weights picked it up for 850 hope I did OK thanks for any help with the selinoid 

wallfish

:WRS:

The solenoid is just a relay so the high amp current doesn't need to pass through the key switch. You probably need to check things out and better describe the symptom if it persists. A bad ground or connections can cause intermittent problems and wear it out prematurely. If the wires to the battery and starter are too small of a gage wire, might overheat it.

Mine had an issue with the bendix gear spring in the starter which would cause it to not engage every so often then it got worse over time.

Your 418-C has a hydrostatic transmission so there really is no "clutch". Hopefully there are no issues with the trans but you can change the fluid to start with. I'm not very good at troubleshooting hydro problems since mine has never had any problems. But it's my understanding when the seals are worn, the trans will tend to slip when it gets warmed up. Someone else should be of more help on this.

Don1977

First thing check your grounds. The dash panel on those tractors can cause the switch to not have a good ground. Remove the screws and clean all the rust from the screws, panel and hood tower. Also make sure the solenoid is grounded. There are some ground wires connected to the hood tower make sure they also have a good ground,

I believe that a poor ground is causing a weak connection to the solenoid causing it not to engage as it should and burning the contacts. 

shedhunter

Thanks for the help I will go through all also I'm assuming it is a clutch that runs the mower deck the tractor itself runs exellent once it is started

wallfish

Yes, the PTO is basically a clutch but without a description, I assumed you were referring to the transmission.

Tension can be adjusted by the trunnion (#89) right above the pulleys. (Assuming the lining on the plate is still intact) You can remove the PTO pulleys to inspect the lining. #53

This isn't the exact drawing for your tractor but those parts are in the same spot

57e84fe1a4596_B80PTO.jpg.6446eefc20aa34bbb8152938297aa36c.jpg

• Like 1

shedhunter

Thank you very much for your help much appreciate it 

benji756

:text-welcomeconfetti: :wwp: :banana-rock:

wallfish

Sorry, the trunnion is actually #88

BESTDOGEVER

If the trunnion  resists being adjusted don't force it  !!! (ask me how I know 😭) lots of people blaster  wd 40 and patience will save you many problems. 

AHenry014

Just came across this thread perusing the 418C threads.  Turns out, i own this tractor now and purchased it with the same solenoid issue, so im not sure it was ever tinkered with following this thread. For what its worth to future searchers, the solenoid on this tractor was fine.  Someone in the tractors past had issues with the neutral safety switch, so essentially bypassed them with some fancy wiring.  I found the solenoid to be fine, but the key switch was faulty (really common issue).  Key switch replaced and wiring fixed and we are in business. 

Edited by AHenry014
  • Like 2