RGStranahan

Newbie with a c-160

RGStranahan

So two days ago I saved a c-160 from being crushed at a scrap yard and I know nothing about this thing beside that it runs like a champion!I won't to bring it back to it former glory but don't know where to start I've never even seen one of these till now any advice tip hint and tricks are appreciated.

• Like 4

daveoman1966

The C-160 is my choice of Wheelhorse tractors.  Is it an 8-speed trans, or an automatic.  There is so much you can do with this and a lot of attachments for it too.  Dozer blade, rototiller, mower decks, moldboard plow, harrow.... etc. First made in 1973 known as the '16hp Auto', in 1974 it is designated as the C-160 and ran thru production year 1977.  GRRRRREAT old tractort...wish I had two of them.  

Here is a model # list:

1-0380 1974 C-160 8-Speed Kohler K341S-71113A 16 Wheel Horse
1-0480 1974 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71113A 16 Sundstrand
1-0481 1975 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Sundstrand
61-16K801 1976 C-160 8-Speed Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Wheel Horse
61-16K802 1976 C-160 8-Speed Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Wheel Horse
61-16K803 1976 C-160 8-Speed Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Wheel Horse
61-16K804 1976 C-160 8-Speed Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Wheel Horse
61-16KS01 1976 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Sundstrand
61-16KS02 1976 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Sundstrand
61-16KS03 1976 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Sundstrand
61-16KS04 1976 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Sundstrand
71-16K801 1977 C-160 8-Speed Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Wheel Horse
71-16K802 1977 C-160 8-Speed Kohler K341S-71223A 16 Wheel Horse
71-16KS01 1977 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71128A 16 Sundstrand
71-16KS02 1977 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71223A 16 Sundstrand
  • Like 5

DougC

Hello and   :text-welcomeconfetti:  Enjoy the forum!   :)   And your new  :wh:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

RGStranahan

That's what I like to hear it says it's a 8 speed not sure on the year.i have pic's if that help still has model # on it.I think its all here just no deck or any thing.

Nvm u put the numbers up there sorry

Thanks for the welcome Doug!Daveoman I have modle#1 0381 so am I looking at a 74 and my motor has modle #k3418

• Like 2

RGStranahan

20161006_143742.jpg

20161006_143529.jpg

I can't seem to find any rebuild kits for it eather.

• Like 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

Since you may know the person who decide to scrap the C-160 I won't say much except someone should kick his or her butt. It looks pretty clean and not beat up . Go to the manual section of the forum and you should be able to down load an owners manual , parts list and info on the Kohler motor. Of course ask questions the guys on the forum love to help and they love pictures. Not sure they some of them passed Reading in school :ROTF:

By the way :text-welcomeconfetti: O if you have a neighbor that brags about his great mower from the " Box store"  hook a chain to his mower and one to yours and see how many times you can pull him around the yard backwards.

• Like 4

RGStranahan

Thank you for the welcome elcamino and the advice all of it lol.I told the guy how...."special" he was for trying to scrap it!I was told it didnt run but lol runs like omg but it smoke a little that a no no right?I was just gonna rebuild it but can't seem to find the rebuild kits.

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:              This should help you along.       :text-coolphotos:

1 hour ago, RGStranahan said:

an't seem to find the rebuild kits

Take a look at this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-REBUILD-KIT-for-KOHLER-16HP-K341-and-M16-with-an-actual-16hp-rod-not-12hp-/121321472437?hash=item1c3f52c1b5:g:9k8AAOxydlFSzHoJ

• Like 2

TIGman

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

Sure glad you were there to save the C-160 from a trip to the scrap yard. 

Looks like a real nice one you have there. :handgestures-thumbupright:

You will find lots of friendly help here with answers to your questions.

Good luck!!  with your project.

• Like 1

RGStranahan

Thank everyone so much for all the welcomes and everyone has been so much help.AMC the sticker link that's so sweet I was just looking for someone in my town to make those.Thanks agen everyone and you haven't heard the last of me lol!!!

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

JackC

Yours looks to be in good condition. A little lipstick and polish on that horse will go a long way. After I saw this picture, I decided I needed to add one to my collection and I did:

The C-160 with the coveted big block Kohler is one of the finest. Imagine someone throwing this away.

C 160 restored 039.JPG

• Like 9

BOB ELLISON

Yours looks like a new one compared to the one I first got. I love my c160 auto but the 8 speed is a  great tractor also.

My b80 has a 8 speed same as yours and it will pull or push a tank.

The first thing I did was read every thing here about the c160 and kohler k341 before I took it down to the frame. I 

Cleaned and painted every thing. Changed  engine oil and trans fluid and if it's been out in the weather clean gas tank fuel lines and carburetor bowl. If trans fluid is milky then water has gotten in by way of shifter boot ,change it to.i got a boot for $10.00 on ebay.

If you want to learn about your c160 these guys here at Red Squrare are here to help you and they really know there stuff. I know I'm also a student. 

• Like 2

608KEB

I have a hard time understanding why someone would scrap t:blink:hat.

• Like 1

RGStranahan

Thanks for the tip Bob my boot is starting to dry root so thank you know i know where i can get one.608KEB people around where i live will scrap something in a heart bet if it'll get it out of there way.I was just luck i happend upon this one.I knew i found somthing good when i seen cast iron on the motor i just thought theres no way this can be junk!!

• Like 5

KC9KAS

@RGStranahan nice machine and :WRS:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

RG, very nice save. A great horse for number one. You will figure that out down the road.  Lol

And  :wh:     :text-welcomeconfetti:    :wh:    to red square.

Glenn

• Like 1

roadapples

Not many better than the C160 IMHO...Great save, and you can`t beat the price.. Before you rebuild it clean the breather below the carb. If it gets gummed up it will cause it to smoke, and:WRS:

• Like 2

chip61

Nice save! That looks much better than mine, and I use mine all the time!!!

Mike'sHorseBarn

I'm jealous lol!! A C-160 is on my bucket list of tractors to own and never get rid of! My unlce has a C-160 auto and I always tell him that when he wants to get rid of it, I better get first chance!

• Like 2

WHX??
12 hours ago, RGStranahan said:

seen cast iron on the motor i just thought theres no way this can be junk!!

Got that right!!

:WRS:

• Like 1

JC 1965

hello and   :WRS:

TDF5G

:WRS: 

You did a great thing, saving that old Horse from the scrapper.  :text-bravo:

She looks purdy good!  Have fun with your new project.  You've come to the right place for any help you'll ever need with it. :)

M i k e

Its unreal someone would take this to a scrap yard.  Hell, stick it out front with a sign saying "Free" if you don't want it.  Just the engine alone in running condition is worth several hundred.  Thank you for saving this fine machine from such a fate!   :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 5