312-H Restoration Progress

Jerry77

Looking Good  ! ! !  :text-goodpost:

• Like 1

DougC

Great job AND the wife is helping as well.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

312Hydro

You're doing a great job on that 312h! :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Detector

Thanks guys! I worked some today, I did manage to get the dash painted, It had some rust pitting in one area where the decal peeled back near the test idiot lights/choke, I glazed and primed it last week, It's about time for decals from Terry "especially this part" I'd rather put it on before bolting it down. 

Edited by Detector

bmsgaffer

Looks great! 

In the picture of the top of the transmission, there is a cam plate that you painted. You can try to run it like that, but I personally would strip that and leave it clean (i think it had some kind of rust resistant coating originally?). I had one heck of a time getting that thing adjusted for smooth motion when it was just plain metal, so I dont want you to have to suffer through getting it adjusted with paint on it. Just my :twocents-twocents:.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Detector

Glad you reminded me, cleaning up the plate is on my to do list but didn't have a chance, I was rushing the other day like a mad man to get the Horse from under my carport off jack stands and in the building due to Hurricane warnings and everything secure. Prior to tear down it really needed adjusted, the previous owner greased it which I degreased and he had the linkage adjustment out of whack "neutral creep" which I corrected but I'll adjust the friction nut once running again.

Detector

Thanks to Vinylguy's help got my decals ordered this morning, looking forward to them, looks like he does great work. I gotta get super busy on the hood, it's in rough shape in one area and has a few more pitted areas under the black along with a past repaint. As you can see my hood decal is in rough shape lol...Weekend looks like 12" of rain so I'm at a temporary standstill. 

image.jpg

Edited by Detector

shallowwatersailor

Nice paint!  Another suggestion is to clean off the piston shaft on the hydraulic cylinder. Paint will wear the seal.

• Like 2

Detector
13 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Nice paint!  Another suggestion is to clean off the piston shaft on the hydraulic cylinder. Paint will wear the seal.

Thanks & Thanks for the suggestion but my cylinder is retracted in fully and I taped it at the seal area prior to any painting, my photo angle does not show it

shallowwatersailor
8 hours ago, Detector said:

Thanks & Thanks for the suggestion but my cylinder is retracted in fully and I taped it at the seal area prior to any painting, my photo angle does not show it

Sorry!  :hide:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Detector
3 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Sorry!  :hide:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Glad you did mention it, went out to the shop this evening and rechecked my lift cylinder and some over spray did get past a crease in the tape on the bottom side actually on the seal itself, enough to had possibly caused a future issue so I'm glad you mentioned the cylinder or I'd never looked. I did recheck the travel by hand to insure the paint did not meet the seal. I also cleaned up the friction area on the cam plate while I was out there

Wishin4a416

Sure is looking nice! Great work.

• Like 1

JC 1965

Looks great, keep the pics coming. Thanks for sharing.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

Detector

Well, it has been a really tough week from hurricane Matthew with lots of flooding and mass power outages. We had some light flooding and 6 days without power but thankfully we made it through ok. Got most of my decals in from Terry, they look really great! I did manage to get my harness installed, shimmed my brake pedal to my liking and started water sanding a few engine parts during they days without power. This evening I decided to put on my dash decal and cut out the holes, I found a flashlight works great insuring the holes line up, it will shine through the backing and the decal itself. I used a credit card with a moist paper towel to squeegee out any air as I layed the decal down. Things have slowed down a bit on my project but I'm picking back up where I left off... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Detector

Detector

Well my winter progress has been slow but wanted to post my progress, did get the dash/harness back together and refinished the muffler. Much left to do this year

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

• Like 3

aHorseofCourse

Looking good!  Painting takes so much time but it sure pays off in the end

Detector

Well years later and I’ve started back on the Horse. She still runs great 

72922221063__A1B6AF2C-4E6B-4723-B81F-0053DEC46D37.jpeg

IMG_9804.jpeg

IMG_9807.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

JCM

Nice Job !  Determination pays off after all these years   :notworthy:  on a great model as well.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Detector  terrific work on that ! was noting on the opportunity , to lay in a steel fuel line in the inside corner of frame , to minimize fuel hose breakdown , then you could easily add a compression fitting connection with a fuel filter on each end , maybe even a fuel check valve . your choice of  line ends , clear vinyl stands up , but gets firm , like the dark green squeeze clamps . pete

• Like 1