T-Mo

2016 Blunier Plow Day Oct. 28-29, Roanoke, Il

T-Mo

10th plow day event.  October 28-29.  Friday night plowing on the 28th.  Here's video from 2014.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

how do those guys even get a nice clean furrow(if even) with front tires that wide?

T-Mo

Those guys have been plowing for years.  Most are probably farmers who know a thing or two about plowing.  A few of them could write a book on setting up your plow and the proper way to plow.  And of course, a few are amateurs or just trying it for the first time.  One thing about Cub Cadet and John Deere guys, they do tend to know the plowing thing.

C-101plowerpower
28 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Those guys have been plowing for years.  Most are probably farmers who know a thing or two about plowing.  A few of them could write a book on setting up your plow and the proper way to plow.  And of course, a few are amateurs or just trying it for the first time.  One thing about Cub Cadet and John Deere guys, they do tend to know the plowing thing.

well they didnt set it up correctly then, they have to steer way to much trying to keep going straight. they won't be winning any competitions like that anywhere soon

T-Mo

Remember this is for fun, it's not competition.  I've seen your videos, and if I wanted to, I can find some things to criticize, but you were having fun, so I watched them for entertainment value, not to find mistakes.

Ken B

When I was a part of the Cub Cadet crowd and a member on the Cub Cadet forum a few yrs. ago the Blunier plow days was always a very popular topic. Like our Big Show, this is the event these guys live for. I believe that is Steve Blunier in the lead and his Dad Steve Sr. (guy with the beard) behind him. I can guarantee you this, the Blunier's are life long FARMERS that know what they are doing. They have very large I.H. farm equipment they work on the family farm as well. If Steve and his Dad were overly concerned about the field turning out perfect he wouldn't hold this event in the first place. This is an event they put on strictly for fun to be shared among fellow enthusiasts of all brands.  Like T-Mo stated, it is without question some guys in attendance may not have a farmers experience. Steve and his Dad are the most friendly and helpful people you will ever meet. If I remember correctly Steve's Dad was also a life time International Harvester mechanic..  Here is a quick video of a totally custom 2 bottom plow Steve Jr. built, he is a mechanical engineer.

• Like 2

T-Mo

Thanks, Ken, for posting that.  Steve Jr. knows his plowing, as do a lot of those guys.  Yeah, there are a few who don't know squat, but it's meant to be a fun event, not for any competitive event.  I have been to a few plow days myself, and as a novice, I do listen to other's advice, those who have been plowing for quite some time.  When we begin to think we know it all, then we aren't going to ever learn anything new.  Steve and his dad, as Ken said, are lifelong farmers and have been doing this a lot longer than most of us.

PeacemakerJack
On 10/5/2016 at 5:30 PM, C-101plowerpower said:

how do those guys even get a nice clean furrow(if even) with front tires that wide?

I can tell you that getting a "clean" furrow is a real challenge at Bluniers.  I took the main videos up above.  It was my first time at Bluniers and it was a sight to behold.  We turned about 35 acres of field in around 12 hours with only garden tractors. Of the previous 8 plow days held there, Steve Blunier told me personally that 2014 was the best that the weather and conditions have ever been for plowing with the little tractors.  I'm planning to go this year and trying not to have that weather set as the bench mark for what the weather will be like this time!  There were a lot of WH tractors there and I hope that more of you guys can come this year!  Bring your horses, even if you don't plow with them.  You can drive them around the vast farm, watch the plowing, and display them if you like.  Those of you that want to work them, DO IT!  Lots of fun.  Watch this video to the end from Bluniers.  First up is my cousin Mike on his modified Case called the White Knight.  Second is a guy on a heavily modified simplicity, and last is a guy on a heavily modified WH just plowing away.  Maybe someone on here knows him...

As T-Mo and Ken stated there are many guys there that know what they are doing and do a great job, there are many novices there trying it out for the first time (I feel bad for those guys).  They are surrounded by Cub Cadet and John Deere Super garden tractors with beefed up rear ends/hydros and modified 3 cylinder diesels pulling 2-10" custom made brinly plows with more ease than they can with their single 8" plow and 10hp tractor.  However, many of those folks, especially the Bluniers, are gracious people and always willing to lend a hand and share their knowledge with someone who honestly wants to learn.  So, now to your question...I assume you are talking about the big Cubs and John Deeres that are running 18-8.50-8 V61's on the front of their tractors.  These tires sit just fine in most furrows and if you watch the video closely you will see many of the guys are running 4-6" front tires anyway.   The most critical thing to a good furrow is to have soft enough ground so that the plow can be run deep enough to run plumb and nearly flat.  When the ground is so hard that the plow begins to "chisel point"  that is where your furrow wall looks like crap because the heel of the landslide is digging into the wall and tearing it to shreads.  Guys that haven't plowed much will often put more suck (adjust the point down) on their plow to force it into hard ground.  This isn't the answer either.  that also causes the plow to run more like a chisel point.  Some guys add weight to the plow to force it into the ground while keeping the proper adjustments--this is a better idea.  With my tuned plows and tractors, I know it it going to be a tough day of plowing, if i drop the plow in and it doesn't grab and go like it should.  No amount of adjustment will make the kind of clean furrows that we saw at Jim's Plow Day when the conditions aren't good.  Then you just make the best of it and have fun anyway.  It isn't a competition, just a bunch of guys having fun on their little tractors.  The people that make it into a competition often take the fun out of it for those who are just there to enjoy themselves.  

At the end of the day, the tires have little to do with clean furrows... 

• Like 4

WHX??

I'm hooked and looking forward to setting up my plow tractor. I realize I have a ton to learn but that's the fun part. Watching  and learning from guys that have been doing it for years!

I will be looking to get some front tires soon so what is recommended? Tri ribs, ags??  I plan on loading & weighting some Carlisle tru powers for the rear.

• Like 2

CasualObserver

That Wheel Horse is the "SL-121" it's a custom built several years back. it had a nice write up LAGC magazine or the VGTCOA newsletter years ago. I don't remember the exact story, but he named it SL to honor someone called Screwy Louie, and it's a C-121 tractor. He's from somewhere around Peoria, IL (which is about 20 miles from the Blunier event), and I know he gets out to some shows once in a while. My brother-in-law told me he met him up at Franklin Grove a few years ago when he took these pictures of it....

freeport5.jpg

freeport6.jpg

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

That is very interesting!  I figured someone would know something about that unique machine...thanks for the info.

Jim--I look forward to watching/helping you build that plow tractor!  Lots of choices for tires the only reason I have ags on the front of GhostRider is because I had an extra set laying around. Do they really DO ANYTHING on my tractor--doubtful. Some guys run them but not too many.  Tri ribs on your tractor would be my vote... However, even in that you have to decide between the 4" wide deestone Tri rib like on the front of the mule

image.jpegor the Firestone 6.5" Tri rib like on the front of the iron horse..image.jpeg

decisions decisions

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Bluniers is only two weeks away from today!  I'm hoping that they will get some drier weather down that way and that we are fortunate enough to score a 60 degree sunny day for it.  However, if it is raining and overcast, I'm still planning on going to meet new friends and hang out with old ones!  Are any of you guys planning to attend?  I'd certainly like to meet you if you are.  For me, that is one of the really fun parts of these PD's, meeting the forum members face to face. If you've never plowed before, I'd be happy to talk you through the process and help you test and tune your rig.  If you've done lots of plowing before, we can simply meet and discuss our setups.  Just let me know who you are and what tractor/s you'll have (makes it easier to find one another!). I hope a bunch of you come out to it.  It's my sincere desire to see more :wh: guys at these PD's.  I have seen what a great job these red machines can do turning soil but many of the "other brand" guys aren't convinced! Bring them out--let's show 'em!

T-Mo

A friend of mine is going, he's a John Deere guy.  I may hitch a ride with him, or go by myself.  That is, if I go.  We'll have to see.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

If you do go, please look me up, it should be pretty easy to spot GhostRider even with all of the tractors that are likely to be there. I certainly would like to meet you in person and let you take. Few rounds if you desire...

Anyone else planning on it???:think: 

C-101plowerpower

@T-Mo

these are from today(not alot about bluniers)

IMG_20161015_162940458_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_163107774_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_163121821_HDR.jpg

i wish i had plowdays like the ones above, my plougings are mostly competitive

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack
17 minutes ago, C-101plowerpower said:

IMG_20161015_162940458_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_163121821_HDR.jpg

i wish i had plowdays like the ones above, my plougings are mostly competitive

Very nice job!  That is some beautiful looking soil for plowing. Reminds me of the soil at Jim's plow day last weekend.  You did a great job and you have a great little plowing tractor--you would really enjoy Bluniers.  Too bad you're about 10,000km away!  

Thanks for sharing the pics!

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower
7 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Very nice job!  That is some beautiful looking soil for plowing. Reminds me of the soil at Jim's plow day last weekend.  You did a great job and you have a great little plowing tractor--you would really enjoy Bluniers.  Too bad you're about 10,000km away!  

Thanks for sharing the pics!

it looks good but it was pretty bad, about three to four inches of what could be discribed as whole wheat flower, which was pretty bad for traction

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

8 days to go!!! Anyone else make up their mind about brining their horses out to play?:think:

In working on getting the decals made for GhostRider this week and hopefully get a little more weight on the rear end just in case soil conditions are a littl tough.   I also need to take a close look at my lift arm lock, it has been acting a little strange.  Other than that, I should be ready to go:handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??

Jack Note how @C-101plowerpower has got his wrenches right on the tractor for those quick in-the-field adjustments. Ain't quite figured out the funnel hanging off the back is for unless that's a gas tank up front (which here in the US is required to be :wh: RED) ??

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower
3 hours ago, WHX8 said:

Jack Note how @C-101plowerpower has got his wrenches right on the tractor for those quick in-the-field adjustments. Ain't quite figured out the funnel hanging off the back is for unless that's a gas tank up front (which here in the US is required to be :wh: RED) ??

yep thats a jerrycan upfront, also funtions as a weight

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

The week of the big plow day has finally arrived!  Hopefully the weather will cooperate but even if it doesn't, we are on our way!  Anyone else planning on going to plow, show, observe, or other:think:

T-Mo

Since we have one closer to me on Sunday, October 30, I doubt if I go to this one.  It's not too far, but I would rather go to a more local one.

CasualObserver
13 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

The week of the big plow day has finally arrived!  Hopefully the weather will cooperate but even if it doesn't, we are on our way!  Anyone else planning on going to plow, show, observe, or other:think:

Too bad it wasn't this past weekend... the weather in central IL was perfect for it. Hopefully it will hold for next weekend for you guys.

dtallon

Weather was great last weekend.  I got in a little plowing in the garden with the 854, and got the mower deck off the C-160 and it ready to plow.  Plan to be at Blunier's with both, plus my son's B-100, and also my Bronco 12 just for show.  Hopefully we don't get too much rain tonight and tomorrow.  Otherwise, looks like pretty good weather for plowing.

Dave

plowing2016_01.jpg

plowing2016_02.jpg

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

Dave, 

I look forward to seeing you there with your family and some of the stable!  Thanks for sharing those great pics those  are some sharp looking horses.  I agree that the weather was awesome last weekend. Right now they are forecasting some pretty nice weather for this weekend--a low of 60 on Friday night and a high of 75 on Saturday.  That will be very similar to 2014.  Are you going to be there on Friday night or just on Saturday?

T-Mo--I bummed you won't be there.  I was looking forward to meeting you in person.  Maybe another time?

tomorrow evening and Thirsday will be the rest of our tractor preparation and then it is time to load the trailer.  One of these days I'll finally get a nice 8.5'x24' enclosed v-nose all set up for this and it will make loading a snap!  For now though, it's a borrowed trailer and trying to figure how to fit everything...

• Like 1