dlecroy

frustrated no charge

dlecroy

1988 257h - replaced battery...wont turn over but like 3 times even when hooked to my jeep with jumper cables....if someone could help please.... my grass is getting jungle like...thx

wallfish

:WRS:

Starter.

I'm going to guess a loose magnet inside the starter housing since that's what I found when an engine had those same symptoms.

Loose or dirty wire connections might cause that too.

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:    First step for any electrical problem is to clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. To rule out any bad cables you can put the jumper cables directly on the starter and see if it spins over.

• Like 4

DennisThornton

:text-yeahthat:  What he said!  And if I might add emphasis on the grounds!  Seems so many times that I got confused with wiring there was a bad ground involved!  You take if for granted and then your readings are wacko and THEN you find a bad ground is the cause of the weird readings!

• Like 5

dlecroy

This is what I'm working with....thx for help...

14756160914001358246642.jpg

1475616212033-449043511.jpg

Starter been locking up for a bit...smacked it with a whatever was close by a few times..

14756162949761471882779.jpg

smoreau

Bad disk in the starter solinoid. New starter is most likely your easy fix. Or you could take the solinoid apart and repair or replace the disk or terminals. 

wallfish

Whatever it is, pull the starter off and inspect it and bench test it.

Looks like it took some hits which could cause the loose magnet condition.

starter.jpg

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

dlecroy

wiring harness is a mess....removed starter and cleaned it with pb blaster....started right up.....unbelievable ..can't kill this horse...thanks for all the help.

• Like 2

953 nut
31 minutes ago, dlecroy said:

started right up.

:woohoo:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MachXXII
      By MachXXII
      Does anyone know what battery a 1988 252-H needs. I looked around and couldn’t really find an answer. Thanks
    • mryanpilarski
      By mryanpilarski
      Is there anybody who would be able to draw out on these photos which way the stator wire runs? i have it coming out at the 4:00 position right now, then all the way around behind the stator counter-clockwise to where the voltage rectifier would be on the left hand side (8:00)

I put the wire holder bracket on the bolt where the breather tube is, these photos are before that. 

The way i have it now, the wire comes awfully close to the flywheel and I just don't want it to rub on there and I am out a stator

Thanks! 

• Chuck14025
      By Chuck14025
      1994 520 H.   Starter just clicks.
      1. Battery 12.6V, load test OK.,    New solenoid. Ground good. Key switch tested ok. Wiring diagram shows a 'kill' relay - I can't find it on the tractor. Checked the 3 relays under the battery box - they work. Neutral switch, PTP and seat switch work mechanically. 
      2. Not able to find article on this problem when searching. There must be dozens. How do I find them?
      3. Can I test the starter without taking it out?
      4. Is there a 'kill' relay? 

thank you...

• indywheelhorsenut
      By indywheelhorsenut
      Started fine 2 weeks ago.  I left key in ignition and fear grandson may have turned it slightly to right a week ago.. not enough to engage starter but perhaps enough to drain battery.

Went to start it yesterday and no charge at all.  Started charging it and battery began to take charge.  However starter turned over but didnt turn engine over.

Question is do I just need more of a charge (more amps) or do I have another problem?

Lol, have 5 inches of snow headed here starting tonight so I need to get ahead of this today.
    • tntatro
      By tntatro
      The stator and flywheel on this engine are different than others I have worked on so far. The stator is smaller in diameter and has a wire that runs out to a part that looks like an ignition coil but has no plug wire. I am wondering what it is and how do I wire it?

I'm not 100% positive that I put it back in the same spot it came but I think I did. I gapped it at .020" from the bump that sticks out on the flywheel, it is magnetized.