Firecop119

520H Snowblower

WVHillbilly520H

Yes I did the bearing upgrade but I couldn't find a 4 bolt bearing retainer so you have to redrill holes for the 3 bolt style and add a 1/4" spacer to shim it out,but it is the same retainer used on the single auger shaft or impeller shaft just next size up bearing, got mine online the "big bearing store" also #40 roller chain in bulk,Jeff.

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1764.jpg

• Like 4

cleat

That looks good. I will do that to mine when the bushings get worn (they are new now).

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

The skid shoes were also made by me the P.O. had let the others set in mud and salt to long, plus I made them wider and thicker than original,Jeff.

• Like 3

Kurt-NEPA

When I rebuilt my two-stage, I used the same cam-lock bearings CTBT&D used on his auger shaft.  Worked out just fine.  I would recommend them.  And yes, the 1/4" spacers are needed.  The bearings are not expensive and will be easy to replace if the need ever comes.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Did any of you guys take pictures of  apart and during assembly?  I  am only asking because I don't have a 2 stage to look at, yes, I bought a 2 stage, but it hanging out in a barn up by Kurt NEPA. LOL still haven't figured our on getting that yet either. I need a trailer is what I need.

Glenn

WVHillbilly520H

My trailer is 5'x8' and it took up most of it when I hauled it home so keep that in mind, and I'm pretty sure the tractor with the blower attached won't fit on the trailer with the gate up now, and sorry no pics of tear down apart or during reassembly,Jeff.

IMAG1593.jpg

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

WOW, Jeff or Kurt, the 2 stage mounted on a 520, what is the measurement from front of the snowblower to rear of tractor. The small trailers I am looking at sure won't fit tractor and snowblower attached.  That picture of the 2 stage in that 8 foot trailer makes it look HUGE. I guess I would have to break those apart for moving them, don't want a big trailer.

I have a trailer thread going, I was thinking 6x12, or 5x10 trailer size for me.

Glenn

Kurt-NEPA

Glenn, I have lots of pictures of my two stage.  Too many to post.  I'll have to up load them to Photobucket and send you a link.  Here is a picture of my 93 520H. Cab, and two stage when they followed me home.  The trailer is the 6 X 12 I had to your place last year.  I rebuilt the two stage and cab.  Did a lot of work on the 93, but engine was shot - so I sold it.  It had 2600 hours on the Hobbs meter and still mowed my lawn for a year.  And that Hobbs meter had quit years ago.  Once the sun gets up, I'll find a tape measure and get length measurement for you.

If you need help when you come to Dallas for the pick up let me know.  Happy to help

My Two Stage Coming Home.jpgMy Two Stage Coming Home2.jpg

• Like 3

Kurt-NEPA

Some dimensions Glenn,

Two stage mounted on a 520H - overall length - 98 inches, just over 8 ft.

Length of the two stage alone - 53"

Width of the two stage, skid to skid is 48"

Height of the tow stage is 48"

Kurt

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Kurt thanks for the measuring (I was in WV yesterday moving a freebie 14' 1965 Winnebago camper ) and not moving around to good today,but with my weight bracket/weights add another 12"-14" to the overall length so yep not gonna fit my "baby" trailer, was thinking of getting a 7'x16'-18' dual axle so I can haul the Kioti,Jeff.

IMAG2469.jpg

• Like 3

Kurt-NEPA

Glenn,

Here is a link to some pictures of my two stage.  No order to the pics nor any caption.  If (when) you have question just fire away.

Two Stage Pictures

or manually if you wish

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/kdmoser/library/Wheel Horse Two Stage Blower

Wow, was my shop a mess back then.

Kurt

59 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Kurt thanks for the measuring (I was in WV yesterday moving a freebie 14' 1965 Winnebago camper ) and not moving around to good today.

Sorry to hear you are not moving too good this morning.  As we get older this happens a lot.  And the recovery time gets longer.  Take care of yourself.

Kurt

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks Kurt, its very much appreciated by me. 

Glenn

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

Glenn,  I was just looking at my picture of the 520H and two stage on the trailer.  That trailer looks more like a 6 X 10 to me than what my memory said was a 6 X 12.  Just another senior moment - sorry.   Ugh!  I hate getting old.......

Kurt

• Like 1

cleat

Kurt;

Do you have any measurements or plans for the plate you used to mount the chain tension idler sprocket ?

I assume the chain is now longer, do you happen to know the length ?

I like the auger bearing upgrade idea and will be doing that to mine eventually.

Thanks, Cleat

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Cleat,

I didn't record any measurements when I did the idler upgrade.  I wish I had.

DSCN1004_zpsdj6c0cfn.jpg

I'll see what I can get using a tape measure and post that.  Its really tight down there.  I do remember that I got the idler sprocket and chain at TSC.  I made a spacer to get the idler to line up, but a couple of washers would have worked.  I remember just wrapping the chain around the sprockets, marking it, and cutting it at the mark.  Not hard at all. BTW, I had to add the extension to get the sprocket to clear the frame.

Kurt

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Cleat,

Quick sketch of the idler extension, from what I could measure.  Holes were sized to fit.

Idler%20Sprocket%20Extension_zpsixtrzvqk

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

When I rebuilt my two-stage, most of it was straight forward.  Lots of wire brushing, sanding, prep, and paint.  It was a lot of work.

The hard parts of the job were.

1.  My impeller was badly bent and cracked.  A couple of hours of torch and hammer work got it back in shape.  Another couple of hours of TIG welding took care of the cracks.  I later added paddle extensions to decrease the blade to frame clearance.  I was worried about balance, but it seem OK.

2.  My auger shaft gear box was trashed beyond use.  I found out this is a common gear box used on larger Toro blowers.  I found the case parts I needed on Ebay, along with some used bearings. The seals came from Toro.

3.  I went with stock cam lock bearings on the auger shaft instead of the original bushing.  The hard part of that is you will need a 1/4" spacer on the inside of the end plates.  This moves the bearing inboard enough to clear the end of the shaft.  That 1/4" spacer needs to be fabricated. I did mine on a milling machine with a DRO, that really helped, but I could have done it with hand tools.  The hard part is the 2" diameter hole to clear the bearing.  Also,  a new set of holes will need to be drilled on the end plate. Here is a drawing of my bearing spacer.

Bearing%20Flange_zpsh95kmz7i.jpg

Hope that help someone.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Sorry to hear you are not moving too good this morning.  As we get older this happens a lot.  And the recovery time gets longer.  Take care of yourself.

Kurt

I hope 45 ain't too old, but going from the last 7 years of mid to night shift to straight days with O/T at work, keeping up with 3 teenagers (1of mine in WV) and elderly parents 75 miles away in WV, sometimes it gets a little overwhelming but 1 most soldier on, and this summer has been a PITA keeping up with the mowing I put 60ish hours on the 95 520 I got in the spring, finally located an injection pump for the 523Dxi so maybe I can get it up and running to mow with next year, maybe then I can get around to repainting the 520s, seems like Sunday's are rest and catch up days, the free camper might turn into my deer hunting lodge it's rough but not too terrible more projects I keep getting myself into, Jeff.

Kurt-NEPA
1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I hope 45 ain't too old.

Ah - 45!, you are still young Jeff.  I'm 65 -- nothing works like it used to.

Enjoy your projects.  They are the spice of life.

Kurt

WVHillbilly520H

Yeah dad is 79 and still driving short trips and mows the yard ect but I don't know how much longer and mother doesn't get around to well and never has learned to drive so I do all I can for them when I have time, family first everything else later,Jeff.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

thats right Jeff, mom and pop are first. guess me and Kurt are the old farts. lol

Kurt, good talkin with you today, thanks for the advice.

Glenn

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA
35 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

family first everything else later

You got that right Jeff - Family first.  Take care of Mom and Dad.  Everything else can wait.

Kurt

16 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

guess me and Kurt are the old farts

Glenn

I think I resemble that remark.

Good talking to you Glenn,

Kurt

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Ok back to the blower rebuild I know I have receipts somewhere, but for the bearing retainer/flanges I used TORO part #'s 110568 & 110567 zerk relube on the auger with 1" relube collar locking bearings from the "big bearing store" and fabbed up the 1/4" spacers and end caps at work in the machine shop, also at work I made new bronze oil lite bushings for the gearbox( which BTW is the same as their big walk behind blowers and in the 36" tillers also),then when the new Toro "quad seal" showed up it wasn't no different from the original I went hunting in the hydraulic seals at work and found 1 which IMO is a much better seal for the gearbox(hasn't leaked yet) a new case gasket and synthetic 75w90 gear oil, and my impeller was all bent and tweaked also from ??? which I straightened and added the rubber paddle kit, then replaced the rusted stuff roller chain (sprockets were fine),and a new nylon tension block, new drive pulleys(wish I had used TORO there), and then the new skid shoes sandblasted and painted except for the auger(ran out of warm weather) and the chute with the solid stone deflector from my single stage, then installed on my anniversary 520 ready for the snow,Jeff.    Pics of the "quad seals" the smaller Toro OE brand on the left which fit loosely on the shaft and in the gearbox case recess vs the hydraulic "quad ring seal" which fit snuggly on the shaft and in the gearbox case recess...

1476651262476.jpg

1476651345620.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Had all (3) my 520s out and running this evening so I pulled a tape measure on my blower rig, 9'2" overall with the rear weights hanging off the back so no it's not fitting on my 8' trailer with the ramp/gate up,Jeff.

VIDEO0056.3gp

• Like 1

Firecop119

Well folks I spoke to soon. Since I'm a newbie too WH I got ripped. The 2 stage I picked up is missing most the parts to the hydro. Pretty much everything. I thought I would try hooking it up today and figured it out. So probably just going to sell or trade it for a single tall chute.