JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

C175, Identification, help needed, year, rear, engine, etc.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Zeroed in on this one owner C175, he passed, the family is selling it, they don't know anything about it, they just sent me these additional pictures. Can any of you super detective tell me anything about it by these pictures. I can't, lol.

What year is it?

Series 1 motor?

Eaton rear?

Whatever, anything anybody can tell me about it,  looking for clues to the mystery before I get it.

Why are the pictures Sideways? Who knows. 

Glenn

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 6

ACman

I'm no super sloth , but that looks to be a nice BLACK-HOOD ! :) There starting to grow on me .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

I know it is between 1980 - 84...That's when the black hoods ruled the WH world...

AMC owned WH from 1974 - 1982. (Straight from the Horses Mouth - Final Edition P. 217) Black Hoods were 1980 - 1984. (Based on RS Picture Galleries).

That is one nice unit - the black hood looks new!

Save the Black Hoods!

:ph34r:

• Like 4

Theroundhousernr

Hello... Been awhile.. Looks as nice as my C-175 but mine is an eight speed... I would say grab that baby up.... Its gonna be a series I unless it had an engine swap but i doubt it judging by the shape shes in... From the rear end picture, i think i see an oil filter hanging out the back which would tell me its an eaton 1100 which earlier models had the sunstrand. So its not a first year production or anything... Also the plastic fender looks great to .. But you may not like that and throw a steal pan under the seat.. I would say those fenders are getting hard to find and if its nice.. keep it on there.  Good luck and bring it home... those motors sounds coolB)

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

It is nice, I just can't figure out anything about it other than what you guys said. It looks nice, it's a blackhood. I guess we won't get our detective gold shields this year. Lol   :laughing-rofl:

Glenn

Oh, can any mod flip those pics for Me? Every time I look at them I feel like I am on a bender. Thank you.

• Like 1

jdleach

My take Glenn:

Post 1980. The reasons are that the lift control handle is of a different design as was used on the 1980 models. Mine has the "T" type handle for the lift control, similar to the drive belt disengage lever seen in the photos.

As for the engine, I suspect a Series I. My understanding is that virtually all, if not all, of the C-175 tractors had a Series I. If this an original motor, it isn't a Series II.

Condition looks very good, although I would speculate that the hood at least, has been re-painted. The black is too glossy.

As far as the tranny, given the later style lift lever, it has to be an Eaton 1100. The Sunstrands were used for only about the first half of 1980, then Wheel Horse switched to using the Eatons.

Edited by jdleach
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

The engine spec # has to be over 24299 to be a Series II engine Glenn. 

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
4 hours ago, Theroundhousernr said:

Hello... Been awhile.. Looks as nice as my C-175 but mine is an eight speed... I would say grab that baby up.... Its gonna be a series I unless it had an engine swap but i doubt it judging by the shape shes in... From the rear end picture, i think i see an oil filter hanging out the back which would tell me its an eaton 1100 which earlier models had the sunstrand. So its not a first year production or anything... Also the plastic fender looks great to .. But you may not like that and throw a steal pan under the seat.. I would say those fenders are getting hard to find and if its nice.. keep it on there.  Good luck and bring it home... those motors sounds coolB)

One of my buddies, a C175 sleuth was guessing, 82 / 83 by virtue of where the deck lift was.. thanks for the compliments. I hated letting the cat out of the bag before I got help, but I just have to know,. But that's good, I can start another thread when I get it. Lol

Glenn

4 hours ago, jdleach said:

My take Glenn:

Post 1980. The reasons are that the lift control handle is of a different design as was used on the 1980 models. Mine has the "T" type handle for the lift control, similar to the drive belt disengage lever seen in the photos.

As for the engine, I suspect a Series I. My understanding is that virtually all, if not all, of the C-175 tractors had a Series I. If this an original motor, it isn't a Series II.

Condition looks very good, although I would speculate that the hood at least, has been re-painted. The black is too glossy.

Thanks JD, you might have just named her for me, my little baby Glossy.

Glenn

4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

The engine spec # has to be over 24299 to be a Series II engine Glenn. 

I have asked for a picture of that Id tag. I would suspect I get it tomorrow, but more pictures tomorrow to. Yahoo. We all luv pictures, don't we.

Glenn

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

I believe it is a 1982. My 1981 C-145 has the "T-Handle" like jdleach mentioned and this has the later hydraulic handle that was carried over to the 400 Series. But it has the plastic rear fender that was replaced with the metal fender from the Work Horse Series for the 1983-1984 models. The steel fender was revised in 1985 for the 300/400 Series tractors.

Good news! I can just make out the black Toro filter in back when I blow up the picture, so it has an Eaton 1100.

That is a clean dashboard!

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

Wouldn't bother me if it was a Series I engine...

love to work the '83 model I've got here. :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok fellas, the owner just emailed me the dash Id plate with some additional manuals that come with it. NOW, who can tell the exact year with this clue?  It looks to me we got the series 1 engine.  Oh well, take the good with the bad. 

Glenn

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

• Like 1

jdleach

Glenn, with a model number of 01-17KE03, that tractor is a 1983. Series I engine, Eaton 1100 tranny.

Another little difference between years on these machines.

In 1980, the C-175 had a stamped serial/model number tag riveted to the column. By the time your tractor was made, they were computer printed plastic, like the 300-500 series.

Edited by jdleach
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

From my friend jackc, who sent me the list.

Glenn

Edit / update:     JD, beat me to the punch. Thank you both.

Model Year Description Type Trans. Engine Model HP Drive Model

01-17KE03 1983 C Series Garden Tractor C-175 Twin Automatic Kohler KT17-24223 17 Eaton 1100-03

3 minutes ago, jdleach said:

Glenn, with a model number of 01-17KE03, that tractor is a 1983. Series I engine, Eaton 1100 tranny.

Your quick as a rattlesnake bite. You beat me on that one JD......

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Wouldn't bother me if it was a Series I engine...

love to work the '83 model I've got here. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Craig, you are the KING of the YouTube C175 videos, I got popcorn and watched them all last night while searching for clues...lol.

Glenn

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Ah man. That thing looks super clean Glenn. Have it home yet? That wont take much to clean up. Nice score!

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
7 minutes ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Ah man. That thing looks super clean Glenn. Have it home yet? That wont take much to clean up. Nice score!

Thanks Jack, no, she ain't home yet. Working with a shipping company to get it to me. I just dumb lucked into it. I swear, when cleaned up, it's going to be a fine one owner before me example. And with the provenance, (fancy word for paperwork) to. Thanks for the words.

Glenn

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

That is super clean! Ill bet the paint is original just because it looks like it would be how clean it is. Ill bet the black got glossy because the PO waxed it!

If I recall correctly ALL C-175's have series 1 unless it was replaced. Series 2 came with the 417's.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

I do believe you need to bring this one hone Glenn :)

• Like 1

Ken B

Gotta love the C-175's. They have a bigger feel to them because of that big black hood and they sound so cool. The hood is solid, not tinny like the 3 and 4 series tractors. As long as you aren't mowing on a slope that Series 1 will last a real long time. I had this C-175 hydro and I really enjoyed it. It wound up with a super good guy, Butch in Jersey...

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

UPDATE ::::::::  Ok, this bad boy is paid for, now it's mine. On to phase 2, getting it home to me. Working out a deal with uship. I saw a few members used them, you know what I like, they pick it up and drop it off, right at your door, non of the pallet bs either, and bring it to them. Now, when it gets home to me, and it's a wreck, I will change this post. Lol

Glenn

• Like 5

Wheel-N-It

There good news Glenn!  I'm happy for you:D

• Like 2