Anthony Wendover

94 312-8 Governor question

Anthony Wendover

Looking to see if anyone has pictures of the governor and throttle cable setup on a Kohler M12S. I an issue where my throttle cable will go up and down fine and it will move the piece that it goes into. However it doesn't move the governor smoothly and the spring binds up. So i am at either high idle or low idle in about a quarter inch of the lever on the dash moving. The rest of the time going midway or all the way down does nothing. i am trying to figure this out. As well as how the spring is positioned around the fuel line to the carb  

Ed Kennell

Does this help?

IMG_6483.JPGIMG_6484.JPGIMG_6485.JPG

• Like 1

Anthony Wendover

Thank you so much! shows everything very good!!! One more question.. how much does that spring bend when you have it completely idled down? Mine really twists and shoves way out in the middle and pushed up against the fuel line to carb and wore a small hole in the line. 

Ed Kennell

The fuel line is cut long and the fittings on the carb and fuel pump are turned to the front so the fuel line bends out to clear the spring.   The first picture is at idle.  The 2nd  and 3rd pictures are at full throttle.

You should be able to adjust the throttle sheath position in its clamp to take the buckle out of the spring.

Edited by Ed Kennell

Anthony Wendover

Well I got the fuel line all figured out correctly now however I still only have a little working travel of throttle. Not smooth at all. It's either on high throttle and if I move the lever down just a bit it's at low throttle before the dash lever even gets half way down. Idk what's going on. 

Ed Kennell

A little more info may help me understand the problem.   When did this problem begin?  Can you take pictures of your set up?  Was the throttle adjustment lock bolt (in the slot of the plate) loosened or is it loose now?

• Like 1

Anthony Wendover

Here are some pictures. I haven't had this tracctor working for two years haven't had time to fix it. Now I'm using it again and just found this issue with it. Iv tried hooking the cable threw a different eyelet and have tried moving it up or down in the holder for it. So I have a wider range with the lever. Like I said when the lever on dash is all the way up I have full throttle and before I get it to half way down it's already on low throttle. 

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

wallfish

Move the throttle cable out to the end hole

m12.JPG

That will give you more travel on the control lever.

If it's not enough, move the spring where it connects to the gov arm closer to the pivot point.

Ed Kennell

OK, so we can assume the throttle was not set up properly from the beginning.   It is clear in your last photo with the throttle at idle,  the spring is being pushed  so hard that it is almost disengaging from the lever.

I would start by putting the throttle cable wire in the upper left hole of the lever.  This is where mine is.  The spring appears to be in the same hole as mine, but I can not see the other end where it is attached to the governor lever. Mine is in the center hole.

Then close the throttle to the idle position. If the spring still looks like it is being pushed out of the lever, loosen the bolt at the slot and rotate the throttle lever assembly till the spring stays in the hole and the carb is at the idle position.

oops, I see Fish types faster than me.

Edited by Ed Kennell

Anthony Wendover

Thank you both. I put it in first hole and adjusted the bracket. The spring in the governor is in the middle hole. Still unable to get the throttle lever to fully control it. Only half of it. But in other news the crappy replacement fuel pump that are plastic just broke the side fitting off of it so I'm not thrilled I gave up for now :/

Ed Kennell

Bummer....just when we're making progress.

• Like 1