Mike336

1985 414-8 Fully Restored

stevebo

Very nice work for sure. I love to see a nice quality restoration

oldredrider

Great job on that machine. The part I like best is your breakdown of labor, parts and details about the resto. Excellent.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

This very nice.

Wishin4a416

That is a Beauty. Something to be proud of.

SylvanLakeWH

WOW!

:bow-blue:

c-series don

Even the correct seat, great job! I know that feeling, so nice you may not want to use it. So now you'll need another WheelHorse that you can use in its place!! 

Marv

I agree with previous comments. But, I have one question. Do you have a humidity controlled glass case big enough to keep it looking that way?

I think it would look real good in my family room.

Marvin

• Like 3

Jerry77

That is way too beautiful to actually use....a perfect candidate for a calendar...or museum..

SylvanLakeWH
31 minutes ago, Marv said:

I think it would look real good in my family room.

Marvin

Gotta disagree...Would Look way better in MY living room!!!! :ychain:

Mike336
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

Even the correct seat, great job! I know that feeling, so nice you may not want to use it. So now you'll need another WheelHorse that you can use in its place!! 

Yes, that seat cost me $450.00 and i was lucky to find that one still in the box unopened from a dealer in PA.

Thank God for EBAY....

While restoring this machine I  purchased a 1984 416-8, because I needed a tractor during the winter to run the 38" Ber Vac 2 stage blower. The 416 was tired but did its job...Once I finished the 414 , I started the 416 restoration....but I could not find another seat...My 416 is now the work horse mowing in the summer and blowing snow in the winter... and I just drive the 414 around the yard just to prevent the carb from gumming....

When I was younger I was a mechanic at a Gravely, IH Cub Cadet Dealership back in the late 70s. They were great machines to work on ...but I always liked the Wheel horses... This 414-8 was the first wheel Horse I purchased...I guess this restoration was a a mid life crisis for me....not so bad...

Thanks for all your kind comments

Below is the 416-8 restoration with the 38" Ber Vac Blower also restored...bad seat though

416-8.jpg

416-8a.jpg

Edited by Mike336
  • Like 9

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Mike, what paint did you use on it? It's fabulous looking. An A+ job to be sure.

Glenn

bds1984

Mike you can purchase brand new seats that are identical to the original except they don't have the WH logo in them.  I have one on my C165 and it is every bit as good as the original when it was new.  Search for Michigan Seat Company.  Nice work, by the way.

• Like 1

Achto

Beautiful work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Mike336
40 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Mike, what paint did you use on it? It's fabulous looking. An A+ job to be sure.

Glenn

Regal Red from Rustoleum if I needed to spray small parts and the transmission.  High Gloss-  high heat enamel  for the engine  ....but 95% of the machine was powder coated after sandblasting.  We just matched up the paint that was underneath the hood and rear fender area because those areas were never exposed to direct sunlight. It was tedious and a little more expensive,  but well worth it 

• Like 3

Aldon

Excellent job. And as stated before, it's good to see the costs tracked and documented. I get a little dizzy and light headed when I start to add up the cost of my restoration tractors costs and that's just on the big ticket items I recall. Theae projects are rewarding but not for feint of heart or weak of tenacity. Kudos for a great job! Makes me want to add a 400 series to my wish list.

• Like 3

Mike336
54 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

Mike you can purchase brand new seats that are identical to the original except they don't have the WH logo in them.  I have one on my C165 and it is every bit as good as the original when it was new.  Search for Michigan Seat Company.  Nice work, by the way.

Prior to restoration I knew I needed a seat...The whole project pivoted on  " Could I find an original OEM seat ? "...I worked on Wheel horses for years and I knew what I was getting into and all the other parts I would need...

I wanted this tractor the exact same way I  purchased it back in 1985...and did I luck out when after 2 weeks I  found an brand new original seat .I knew that was a good sign that the machine restoration would be successful.  I enjoyed every minute of it and all the memories I had of using the machine throughout all four seasons  as I grew up. This machine was so dependable..I couldn't let it down and the restoration  had to be perfect in my eyes...This was the least i could do for this machine,  seeing it performed beyond expected for the 30 years I had it...

I just glad i grew up in that era when  these machines were built ...I just shake my head at all the throw away machines they sell today...

Edited by Mike336
  • Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
14 minutes ago, Mike336 said:

Regal Red from Rustoleum if I needed to spray small parts and the transmission.  High Gloss-  high heat enamel  for the engine  ....but 95% of the machine was powder coated after sandblasting.  We just matched up the paint that was underneath the hood and rear fender area because those areas were never exposed to direct sunlight. It was tedious and a little more expensive,  but well worth it 

Mike, that looks bettet than a rattle can job. looks like a pro spray gun number. regal red rustoleum ,i have used....a while to cure.

fantastic looking.....

Glenn

edit: all the big tin areas, hood,  rear fender,   belt guards.....thats powder coat?  high gloss... wow

I should have been more clear

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

That some impressive powder coating! 

And WOW that seat cost more than I have in my XI, but boy you sure did do it right!

KC9KAS

WOW...That looks "Showroom Floor" new!

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                          You have a pair of pretty ponies there!                                          :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ken B

Very nice job indeed. What town do you live in? I'm in Danbury.

T-Mo

Nice job, and on a Maroon Stripe at that.  Awesome.:handgestures-thumbupright:

Mike336
5 hours ago, Ken B said:

Very nice job indeed. What town do you live in? I'm in Danbury.

Middletown area...

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Mike336 said:

Middletown area...

I like the Berco to. Nice work

Glenn