Johnny Canuck

Finicky Neutral on RJ

Johnny Canuck

Hi everyone and thanks for the great welcome on my other post!

When riding my new (old) RJ - I can put the tractor into neutral without any real issue.  However - if I want to push the RJ forward or backward while in neutral - the wheels lock up.  I am guessing this is an issue with the transmission which is not finding "true" neutral.  Has anyone ever encountered this problem before?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

What year is your RJ?  The 1958/9 RJ's had the #5003 transmission.  The earlier RJ's had a different animal.  :)

• Like 2

Johnny Canuck

Thanks for the reply Stevasaurus!  My RJ is either a 56 or a 57 so a different animalasaurus.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square.  :) I have not taken one of these transmissions apart yet, so I am not going to be much help.   I know we do have some members here that have and they should be along.  I did look at the manual and it does talk about the pawl and some adjustment.  Here is the manual...take a look and see if you see something.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

rj35hunter

Your problem is more than likely going to be in the rear hubs and the drive pawls inside. They are very finicky....to say the least. If there isn't enough grease inside or shimmed right they don't go into neutral correctly. Sometimes you can push the tractor fowards and backwards and make them flip into neutral too, but everything inside there needs to be working good, clean, and greased good. The gear case itself is very simple and rarely needs anything. Also, when driving the tractor and turning one side or the other the opposite side hub has to go into neutral or it won't turn correctly.... 

• Like 6

N3PUY

Yep,  To push it you have to take a belt off.  Just push down on the tensioner and pop the belt off.

• Like 2

Johnny Canuck

I was looking for a manual so greatly appreciate that Stevasaurus!

Thanks for the great advice RJ35Hunter and N3Puy.  Will try that out today!

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Johnny...please let us know if you figured it out and what it took.  thanks   :)

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:       Here is a thread you may be interested in.     :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2

rj35hunter
4 hours ago, N3PUY said:

Yep,  To push it you have to take a belt off.  Just push down on the tensioner and pop the belt off.

This is a quick easy way to push these around if they aren't working correctly, but when you get it working right you shouldn't have to remove the belt to push it, you can push it or pull it just a foot or so and it will kick into neutral and roll freely until you engadge the speed selector again to lock in the pawls to drive it....this is for sure a aggravating part of these, but we still enjoy them! LoL

• Like 3

AlwaysLookin80

Good info. One of my 35s does the same thing. 

• Like 1

WheelHorse79

This conversation reminds me of the passage in the "From the Horses Mouth" book where it states that the rear wheel "pawls" were designed allow free wheeling when going down hill.  Sure hope all of these RJ-35s have the optional brake kit!

Edited by WheelHorse79
  • Like 2