Al C.

Which one would you bet on ... ?

Mike'sHorseBarn

No comparison......10hp into big red!!

• Like 4

rmaynard

Considering that my 10HP :wh: is still going strong after almost 40 year, and considering that in that same time frame I have gone through 4 of the green/yellow ones, you know what my money us on.

• Like 6

T-Mo

What you're comparing is apples to oranges.  The box store ones have a designed life of 5 years, since they're designed to be an entry level lawn mower.  Try comparing it to one at a true dealer and compare apples to apples.  This could be done for any brand, any color.  Also remember, times have changed, consumers want disposable machines and the manufacturer's are way too willing to oblige.  I tried giving my son-in-law an used John Deere or an used Cub Cadet, both being over 20 years old but built to last.  He opted for a disposable 5 year Husqevarna instead.  Funny thing is, me and my wife had to go mow their lawn last month.  I took my commercial John Deere 717 and she had to ride the son-in-law's Husqevarna.  She said she wished she had our John Deere X320 instead, which is only 10 years old but made in the Horicon, Wisconsin JD factory, not the box store John Deeres which is made in JD's factory in Tennessee.   The Husqevarna didn't steer as sharp as our X320, nor did it cut as well, though it was only 2 years old.

• Like 2

AlwaysLookin80

I can't believe how weak the new stuff is. That part that the shaft comes out of is cast aluminum. My daughters power wheels has better axles on it. And what's holding the wheel on the shaft, a c clip? The shaft itself looks like 1/2" conduit , LOL.

No doubt the red 10 hp is stronger.  A shame what products are coming to today. 

• Like 1

TIGman

Red of course !! :handgestures-thumbupright:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Red of course, but I am partial to better built stuff.

Glenn

DougC

Voting red, no more to be said.   :lol:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Go get the :wh: red out of your shed...   :handgestures-thumbsup:

and leave that green and yellow junk sitting in them big box stores. 

BESTDOGEVER

We used to race all of my tractors, 310-8vs cub 24 horse  vs 17 horse Scotts guess which one won all the time ☺

• Like 1

Al C.
5 hours ago, T-Mo said:

What you're comparing is apples to oranges.  The box store ones have a designed life of 5 years, since they're designed to be an entry level lawn mower.  Try comparing it to one at a true dealer and compare apples to apples.  This could be done for any brand, any color.  Also remember, times have changed, consumers want disposable machines and the manufacturer's are way too willing to oblige.  I tried giving my son-in-law an used John Deere or an used Cub Cadet, both being over 20 years old but built to last.  He opted for a disposable 5 year Husqevarna instead.  Funny thing is, me and my wife had to go mow their lawn last month.  I took my commercial John Deere 717 and she had to ride the son-in-law's Husqevarna.  She said she wished she had our John Deere X320 instead, which is only 10 years old but made in the Horicon, Wisconsin JD factory, not the box store John Deeres which is made in JD's factory in Tennessee.   The Husqevarna didn't steer as sharp as our X320, nor did it cut as well, though it was only 2 years old.

I agree.  But the Green and Yellow machine is tagged for $2,799 on sale.  For $1,000 you can pick up a 25 year old 520H - at worst, put an additional $1,000 into it - and you will have a machine that will out last and out perform the new box store machine for $1,000 less.  Makes me wonder why used Wheel Horses don't attract higher value. 

• Like 4

T-Mo
41 minutes ago, Al C. said:

I agree.  But the Green and Yellow machine is tagged for $2,799 on sale.  For $1,000 you can pick up a 25 year old 520H - at worst, put an additional $1,000 into it - and you will have a machine that will out last and out perform the new box store machine for $1,000 less.  Makes me wonder why used Wheel Horses don't attract higher value. 

Consumers want new.  What's even harder is trying to sell a L&G tractor that will last a lifetime, but is 20-30 years old, and not being able to because people can go to Walmart or HD or Lowes and buy for less, though it will only last them 5 years.

Wishin4a416

Big Red!!

• Like 1

Digger 66
7 hours ago, T-Mo said:

consumers want disposable machines

:snooty:  

People in charge of these corporations want people to want disposable machines so they market them that way and the mannequins we call people believe that's how it should be .

"George next door just bought brand X & he doesn't have to :

1) change his oil

2) sharpen his blades 

3) drain his gas in the fall 

4) etc....."

I for one will not fall into that crevice .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

Tonyp

My money is on RED !   I have a 29 year old 10 HP RED, still running strong.  

Embarrassed to say that a few weeks ago I had the urge to semi retire our  310 which I have owned since new in 1987,  I went to the green and yellow dealer to have  a look see . The bad news is the machines were really not what I expected, the good news is the machines were not what I expected . I was expecting a robust  Garden tractor , instead they were all , at least to me, Lawn Tractors with big prices. This will not cut it, especially at around $3400  !

The next day I started a search for another Wheel Horse and low and behold I found a  315-8 ( with the Wheel Horse / Toro  stickers) about an hour from home, asking $1250. It was at a large outdoor  power dealer.  I called, asked a few questions, did some due diligence here at home regarding the model  315-8 then the next morning  drove up to see it. When I saw it, I gave it a quick once over for the primary items, started it and then even cut some grass . The machine was clean as all get go, had 400 hours and was in overall excellent shape, cosmetic and running. Oil was clean and the  machine was well cared for and obviously  garage kept.  I made a low offer of $900 cash and we settled at $950 out the door !

300 Series Garden Tractor, >  Kohler 15 HP motor . 42 " RD deck, excellent condition, whats not to like ? 

Loaded it on the trailer and off I went !  When I got home I did nothing but make sure the fluids were filled and my wife cut the grass with it.  I did this to be certain there were no mechanical issues that were hiding. 

Then, I took it all apart for full cleaning and maintenance.  

Point, there are plenty of really nice Wheel Horse Garden tractors around which will blow the modern era BOX Store Mowers out of the water, and for much less money. It is better to spend $1500 on a decade old Wheel Horse and put $500 more into it than to pay for one of those cheap box store or dealer models.  To say I was a very disappointed in those  green and yellow machines at the dealer is NOT a stretch .  There is no way possible those machines will survive a decade of regular  use let alone several decades.  Plus my wife said they look like Smart Cars ! 

Edited by Tonyp
  • Like 1

Ken B

One of my brother's recently bought a John Deere Lawn tractor from the dealer, it cost him right around 5 grand. He went to the dealer because he knows what they sell at the box stores is crap and the dealer at West End in Danbury treats him good.. Sure I tried talking him into buying a mint low hour Wheel Horse for much less but the green is what he wanted and cost wasn't an issue. While at his house one day he asked me if I wanted to try it, I'm not one to insult and he has been very good to me thru the yrs so I hopped on and cut some grass with it.  I will say this, that machine had it all, plenty of power and comfort, smooth as all hell and it cut grass like no tractor I have ever owned. I checked it over pretty good and the tractor is built very well. I don't recall the model of the tractor but this one was built to last much longer than 5 yrs. My brother takes great care of his stuff and keep things for the long run. He still has his 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup he bought brand new that is still in real nice shape. I must admit that for a grass cutter his new Deere was a pleasure to use,  :hide: not for me but my brother likes it and that is all that matters.... 

• Like 2

Tonyp

I would certainly agree,( to the above)  when I was at the JD dealer recently  the $5K machine was  nice but was nothing like the $3K to $4K  priced machines, the 300 series.   I believe , if I recall correctly , it was the 500 series which was representative of the Garden Tractors.  

Funny thing , the sales guy was really nice, I mentioned that I had a 30 year old Wheel Horse, he laughed and said, "yeh , nobody's making anything like that anymore"   ! 

Edited by Tonyp

Al C.
1 hour ago, Tonyp said:

I would certainly agree,( to the above)  when I was at the JD dealer recently  the $5K machine was  nice but was nothing like the $3K to $4K  priced machines, the 300 series.   I believe , if I recall correctly , it was the 500 series which was representative of the Garden Tractors.  

Funny thing , the sales guy was really nice, I mentioned that I had a 30 year old Wheel Horse, he laughed and said, "yeh , nobody's making anything like that anymore"   ! 

This thread makes me really curious.  I'm heading over to our local Green dealership today.   Inspired by this post, I checked out their web site.  It appears the X500 series is comparable in construction to what we value in our Red machines.  (Nothing like the box store models.)  Starting at about $7,000!  But, that might be where a new Wheel Horse would start today.  

image.png

Edited by Al C.
  • Like 1