Konrad

C-120 ran out of fuel and now won't start

Konrad

Hi there,

We recently became the proud owners of a 1976'ish C-120. When we purchased the tractor it wouldn't start but the previous owner believed this was due to a faulty solenoid.

Anyhow, I finally had time today to see if it would run. On initial inspection, there was a definite 'click' on attempting to start. And after a few attempts, the starter turned the engine over and it fired - so I think we actually have a 'sticky' starter, rather than a dodgy solenoid? Anyhow, I then took the tractor for a 'spin', and not knowing how long the fuel I had put in might last, after about 30 minutes the engine spluttered to a halt. Oh dear out of fuel :-(

I filled the tank with what fuel I had left in my can, but on attempting to restart, the engine turns over but refuses to fire.

Having run out of fuel, is there some sort of 'priming' process that I need to go through before I will be able to get the engine to fire again?

Any advice gratefully received.

A newbie

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:  You may want to remove the incoming fuel line from the fuel pump and hold it over a can until some fuel runs out. Seems the fuel pumps do a better job of pushing than pulling.

• Like 4

Konrad

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try tomorrow.

KC9KAS

Howie

On mine when it was ran clear out of fuel seems like one would have to crank forever to refill the carb. Then would have to run with choke on part way

for a short time. Was probably the fuel pump hard to re-prime.

• Like 1

Tonyp
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:   Seems the fuel pumps do a better job of pushing than pulling.

I totally concur, My 310-8 ,( Kohler Mag 10)  if it runs out of fuel may or may not start, mostly NOT.  The issue for me is always the fuel pump loses it's prime and the incoming check valve on the fuel pump becomes partially unseated from the PULLING of fuel.  Of course it is 30 years old  as well.   I will replace the fuel pump while I can still get one . 

Sometimes I shut off the fuel supply of my machines and let them run out of fuel if they are going to sit. The 310 doesn't like this, the other machines don't mind. 

• Like 1

buffaloman

same thing happened to me just Friday , it wouldn't start after running empty , I pulled the air cleaner and gave it a few shots of starter fluid and she was good to go

• Like 1

953 nut

@Konrad, don't keep us in the dark, what did you find?

• Like 1

can whlvr

I do like buffalo man but I put gasoline in a spray bottle,spray it into the carb as you crank it,helps to have another person but I do it on my own

• Like 1

Konrad

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. I should have posted back sooner, but we were too busy enjoying the tractor :-)

From the responses, it was apparent that 'pressure' may be a problem, so I decided to go with simplest option of filling the tank to the top, and waiting half an hour.

Given that it was a warm day here, I reasoned that some degree of pressure would build up in the tank.

The result - after a couple of long cranks, it fired and we then spent an enjoyable couple of hours (checking the fuel level on occasion), topping a paddock.

Thanks for all the advice - I'm sure we will have many more questions over the next weeks and months.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• KC9KAS
      By KC9KAS
      Need assistance! 1977 Wheel Horse C-120 hydro. I sold it to a young fellow last fall. His dad said he put a new battery in it but it still failed to turn over to start. I checked the only safety switch (with an ohm meter) and it is working correctly. I checked all the wires (ohm meter) and they tested ok. I did come to the conclusion the 20 amp AMP gauge was bad. I installed an old one that I had and it turned over and started right up. I already had the voltage regulator wires disconnected and read 36 VAC from the stator. When I attached the wires to the (fairly new) voltage regulator it would immediately cause the engine to sputter and die. The voltage regulator is grounded directly to the negative post on the battery. Once the wires were removed from the voltage regulator it would fire right back up! I am at my wits end trying to figure this one out! Would a bad voltage regulator cause the engine to quit running? I may have to remove a voltage regulator from another known good machine and try it. Anyone have any suggestions?
    • Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      A guy I know runs all his 4 cycle power equipment engines on 2 cycle fuel. He claimed it reduced engine wear. Aside from the added cost of the 2 cycle oil, are there other downsides. Just curious what you all think. 

Joe 

And now for the rest of the story: I spoke to the guy again. He was a mechanic at a place where they operate a lot of outdoor power equipment; with both 2 and 4 cycle engines. To prevent employees from putting straight gas into their 2 cycle machines, all their fuel got 2 cycle oil mix with it. For them, it was more economical to spend money on oil, than on blown engines and downtime. 

Thank for all the great posts. I found some to be very entertaining.

• JasonMc
      By JasonMc
      Hi guys, I purchased my firs WH - a 1976 C-120 Automatic. I have a steep hill on my property and before I go down the hill, I want to understand how my braking system works. I’m aware that this year/model didn’t include disc brakes, so is the breaking purely hydraulic Via transmission and controlled by the speed lever? Has anyone encountered issues with this? Is it safe to use on a steep hill? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason
    • JoeM
      By JoeM
      The Ethanol Monster strikes again!
      Got out the pressure washer and went to start it, "no dice"
      Opened the carb and found those typical ethanol pearls, as I call them.
      I used an additive in my fuel last year, Ethanol Shield, did not seem to work very well.
      Not wanting to drive 30 miles for fuel, and still skeptical about if it is true ethanol free.
      Switched over to Lucas additive now.
      Will see.
      FYI
      Joe

• WHX??
      By WHX??
      Sadly Dan @Achto informed me the the other day of a 857 and a C-120 that was deposited at his local county dump. Dump rules are  such that once it hits the ground it stays due to junkyard dogs going to fisticuffs over scrap steel. Understandable  Despite some hastily made plans of bribery,  chicanery and/or hook or crook to rescue them we failed miserably. We may get drummed out of the Mafia for that one.
      I'll let Dan fill you in on the details if he has the stomach.  I would like to believe that that our beloved  ones would be smelted down to produce more tractors but then I wake up from that dream. Sorry no bone yard pics not that we would want to see them.
      Dan asked me if he had a problem over grieving over these lost gems. You decide... So in memoriam I feel it is quite nescessary to post pics of our lost loved ones. Since I don't have a C-120 here's what I have of a 857.  Please post your pics of either models. True story, I wouldn't hose you guys and not just fishin  for