Matt Young

Restore or leave original c-121

Matt Young

I am looking for opinions on restoring or leaving original on a C-121

20160614_183938.jpg

• Like 5

DennisThornton

I'd clean it up as best I could, fix everything and use it as is.

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:    Today's trend is to celebrate the patina. Just pick up some WD-40 and 4/0 Steel Wool and scrub away the rust and see how your son likes it. Looks like he has already staked a claim on it!  :ychain:

• Like 4

wedge

Shinny is nice ! But dirty is FUN !!

• Like 3

Matt Young
47 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:    Today's trend is to celebrate the patina. Just pick up some WD-40 and 4/0 Steel Wool and scrub away the rust and see how your son likes it. Looks like he has already staked a claim on it!  :ychain:

Ya he says it's his red tractor lol, I have been debating on wd40 and steel wool. I have never done that before. Even if I was to restore it I would still use it. After going to a tractor show last month with some Wheel Horses on display all restored, they are beautiful. 

1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I'd clean it up as best I could, fix everything and use it as is.

I have seen some pics of a C-121 from Dayton Murdock and have found I'm missing the point break if that's what it's called

• Like 1

Don1977

I like shiny RED PAINT!  Looks better then the neighbors green, orange, or yellow tractors.

Edited by Don1977

AMC RULES

:hand:  They're only an original :wh: once.  :clap:

• Like 2

pacer

There is no "right" answer to this question, it comes down to the individuals taste - and skills, and time!:o The work involved with even a minor refurb can be daunting.

For instance, my preference is to do a pretty deep 'refurb' (as opposed to 'restore') I am retired so I have the time, and I am fortunate enough to have the skills - and tools - to do this.

• Like 1

Don1977
25 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:hand:  They're only an original :wh: once.  :clap:

The seat not original so that's already gone.

Matt Young

I changed the seat a month ago, the one pictured was a Wheel Horse branded seat but split up to bad to repair. I found another Wheel Horse seat that the back was a little lower on but same style with the logo. What would the factory seat have been? 

I have the tools and knowledge just not the time to completely restore. I'm going to try the wd40 and steel wool 4/0, just haven't done that before. 

• Like 1

DougC

I agree. If time is precious and you or your son are wanting to use it now, just do the general maintenance  and replace any worn components and just use the dickens out of it! You can wd and wool it when you have the time and when you buy your second one you can decide which one to restore and paint.:)

Matt Young

The wife doesn't like the idea of a second one lol. But just looking for one that's the right size for him 

953 nut
7 hours ago, diddy78c said:

point break

Not sure what you are referring to; can you post a picture or give a description?

Digger 66

This is you son's memory happening before your  eyes .

To quote Trace Adkins :

....ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
but I guarantee this memory’s a big’in 

Leave it for now , let the lad help you fix & maintain her , then when it's his baby , let him decide .

My $0.02 

Good luck ,

- Gene

• Like 3

Matt Young
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Not sure what you are referring to; can you post a picture or give a description?

I ment to say pto break. Autocorrect :blink:

2 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

This is you son's memory happening before your  eyes .

To quote Trace Adkins :

....ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
but I guarantee this memory’s a big’in 

Leave it for now , let the lad help you fix & maintain her , then when it's his baby , let him decide .

My $0.02 

Good luck ,

- Gene

Very true, I think when he gets older I'll let him pick a :wh:

953 nut
10 hours ago, diddy78c said:

ment to say pto break. Autocorrect 

Not sure when the PTO brake was added, older models didn't have them. Do you have the bracket to bolt it to?

pto brake.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

When I find a round hood tractor that is in decent enough original condition I like to leave them alone. Any round hood tractor I've restored in the past was pretty much trashed. I also think the newer tractors, (such as yours) are more appreciated when restored. Now, when I come across a tractor such as yours I think they look awesome when they are restored or have a nice refurberation.  I tend to go the refurb route on the worker type tractors, I consider a refurb a tractor that has any worn parts replaced or repaired, a good general tidy up and clean up of the tractor before repainting it with a decent paint before adding new decals. You really don't need to blow the tractor completely apart. You don't have to go absolutely nuts on it, especially if you plan to work it.. When I use the word "restoration" I take that word seriously. Absolutely no short cuts, everything gets completely torn down and inspected, a rebuild on anything that needs it, only high quality paints used applied by a spray gun, weather cracked tires replaced... In other words, as good as new. I've been there and done that and boy does it get expensive... There really is no wrong way to go as long as you are happy.

Here is an example of a tractor I did a refurb on.. I have been using it thru out the summer hauling fire wood as I split it.. I'll have to find some before pics.. Total investment including the cost of the tractor is less than 350 bucks..

20160626_122943_zps2w59ojww.jpg

• Like 4

Matt Young

Mine is a 79 and the bracket is there to mount the pto break (if that's what it's called. I'm also missing the drive belt shield as well. I think I'm going to try the wd40 steel wool trick an see how it looks.

953 nut

Not sure if you have a hydro or 8 speed so here are both manuals. Post a wanted ad in our "Classified" and for sure someone will have a belt guard and PTO brake they can sell you.

Matt Young

It's a 8 speed thanks for the info. I will be posting a wanted ad soon

WHX??
1 hour ago, Ken B said:

Here is an example of a tractor I did a refurb on

That is a nice looking tractor Ken and it looks ready to do what it was built for! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Everyone has their own personal preferance. I like my wheel horses with a patina finish from the early models through the C series like yours. Beginning with the Blackhoods through the end of production they only look good painted. Toro red does not age well. 

wrightorchid

There can be a fine line between patina and well used.  My 312-8 looks pretty rough but runs mostly ok.  Well past the origimal patina look, LOL.

• Like 1

Matt Young

I cleaned it up with steel wool and wd40. Looks better and it will work. I'm taking it over to a machinery show this evening and I'll get some pics of it and post them. If I remember 

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Looking forward to them pics! I have a C-121 and really enjoy seeing pics of other  C-121's.