Retired Wrencher

It is a Start.

Racinbob

Nice tractor and video. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

fireman

Nice job. And I hear you about getting to that point in your life where you don't need all the tractors. I haven't started some of mine in over a year. That's why it's time for them to go. You never know. The time may come around again when I get the "itch" and i'll probably start over again. But if I do, I will be a little wiser in what i'm looking for and what I want to start with.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
18 minutes ago, fireman said:

Nice job. And I hear you about getting to that point in your life where you don't need all the tractors. I haven't started some of mine in over a year. That's why it's time for them to go. You never know. The time may come around again when I get the "itch" and i'll probably start over again. But if I do, I will be a little wiser in what i'm looking for and what I want to start with.

I hear you Jeff. I sold the 857 I bought from you years ago this spring I said I can only fit 3 in the trailer anyway. And you are always looking for more room. If I move this I can stack that there I have room for one more. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

DougC

Thanks for the video!   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Walt

Love the Deep Purple in the back round. ;) 

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Good video and restoration. 

I understand about the "don't need" state of mind. I have seven running Wheel Horses, a running Cub Cadet, and two running Simplicity's. That alone is not bad, but it's alot when all those LAGT's are added to the other stuff in my life I have to keep running. 

My goal with all this stuff is for my Son to take it over and leave me one Wheel Horse, one Simplicity, one Harley, and a pickup truck. Then if I feel the need for another tractor, I can borrow one from him.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Only one Harley Wheel???:ychain:

• Like 2

MalMac

I don't know if anybody else has been noticing this, but a new trend has been taking place. Seems to be a lot of post by people who are down sizing. This included myself also. The fevered pitch of buying everything we can get are hands on is slowing down. I have even notice that a lot of the regulars on here don't post near as much or even at all anymore. Are interest changing, maybe just trying to dodge life's pitfalls has something to do with it, or  maybe even age and health concerns. Iam just saying as a long time member here I have noticed a change going on. Not saying Wheel Horse interest is going away, just seems to be changing.

• Like 7

Retired Wrencher
8 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Good video and restoration. 

I understand about the "don't need" state of mind. I have seven running Wheel Horses, a running Cub Cadet, and two running Simplicity's. That alone is not bad, but it's alot when all those LAGT's are added to the other stuff in my life I have to keep running. 

My goal with all this stuff is for my Son to take it over and leave me one Wheel Horse, one Simplicity, one Harley, and a pickup truck. Then if I feel the need for another tractor, I can borrow one from him.

Van Nice post and Thanks. At our age I say let the kids take over. We had fun with it.  I still enjoy it  though. Brushing all those nuts and bolts is a great time killer. 

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
1 hour ago, MalMac said:

I don't know if anybody else has been noticing this, but a new trend has been taking place. Seems to be a lot of post by people who are down sizing. This included myself also. The fevered pitch of buying everything we can get are hands on is slowing down. I have even notice that a lot of the regulars on here don't post near as much or even at all anymore. Are interest changing, maybe just trying to dodge life's pitfalls has something to do with it, or  maybe even age and health concerns. Iam just saying as a long time member here I have noticed a change going on. Not saying Wheel Horse interest is going away, just seems to be changing.

MalMac  As you are one of the senior members here you seen the changes threw the years times change people change But I do think this site will never die. I HOPE. It is like on F/Book a lot of times I only like something with no comment. I can remember in the early days not posting anything because not sure what to say because of having no knowledge. But you where blessed with living it every day with your family business Just my:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

bslms

Hi All,

I have only been a member for a short time but I have been enjoying it immensely.  I am retired and have my own lawn mowing service and help out with my sons' tree service  when he needs a hand.  So, we have a lot of equipment around that always needs some sort of attention, maintenance, repair whatever.  Anyway, my WH is a 314-8 that was my fathers', it has been mine for 10 years or so.  I also have my Dad's early 70's Sears ST-16 which my son and I want to restore.  After reading the post about the perceived shift in interest in WH tractors, I get it.  But in my case, it is a shift to the tractors as I am ready for something easier to work on and tinker with.  Commercial mowers, stump grinders, brush clippers and dump trucks with Diesel engines are just too damn heavy.  

The neat thing is, my son is also very interested in garden tractors as a hobby.  Most of his equipment is older iron which he prefers as we do most of the upkeep ourselves.  The little tracs are a nice diversion and we enjoy them. 

I check this forum everyday for the latest 'news', keep it coming.

PS: I am looking for a dozer blade with frame for a 98 314-8 (in good shape). Anyone in upstate NY know of one in that are?

• Like 4

Abe01
2 hours ago, MalMac said:

. Not saying Wheel Horse interest is going away, just seems to be changing.

Well I'm a brand new wheel horse fan (don't even own one yet) but it's not just wheel horse or lagt in general. I'm a younger guy (34) and have noticed more and more that people my age don't get restorations. We live in a disposable society the idea of restoration is WORK to some people. Why spend $1000 and 1000 hours on something that's 50 years old when I can buy a "better"  one brand new....it's just today's geberation. I hope by getting into the hobby with my girls I can instill in them a love for things like this.

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher
6 hours ago, Abe01 said:

Well I'm a brand new wheel horse fan (don't even own one yet) but it's not just wheel horse or lagt in general. I'm a younger guy (34) and have noticed more and more that people my age don't get restorations. We live in a disposable society the idea of restoration is WORK to some people. Why spend $1000 and 1000 hours on something that's 50 years old when I can buy a "better"  one brand new....it's just today's geberation. I hope by getting into the hobby with my girls I can instill in them a love for things like this.

Abe well said. We are hoping that your generation will take over for us. It is a labor of love. It is some thing that you enjoy doing. But it is a lot of work. I think I am the happiest when I have a wrench in my hand. Good luck . And pass it on to your kids.

• Like 1

doc724

I agree with many of you about changing lives and downsizing.  I currently have 4 machines and am working on a restore of a C125-simply because I enjoy bringing tractors back to "close" to their original condition.  Do I need 5 tractors-NO, can I possibly use 5 tractors-NO.  For me, the ideal number is three, which leaves me a problem as I cannot bear to let one go.  I love my xi, and it is the only one with a loader.  I like my 416H because of the Onan and because it is a hydro.  My C141 is my favorite because it is like my first WH which I sold 20 years ago.  So that just leaves the 314-8 which has low hours and is in perfect condition except for two scratches and the C125 which is a work in progress.  In 10 years I will be 75 and I will not need these machines, plus, every attachment will be too heavy for me to lift anyway.  One by one, they will be sold.  When I was younger, I did not have the time or money to invest in this hobby.  Now I do and I hope to continue to have fun.  One thing I have learned as have many of you:  the only thing constant in life is change.  You can embrace change or resist it, but it will not go away.  Cheers!

• Like 4

Wheel-N-It
12 hours ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

Van Nice post and Thanks. At our age I say let the kids take over. We had fun with it.  I still enjoy it  though. Brushing all those nuts and bolts is a great time killer. 

Thank you Gary for the kind words. Yes, we had fun with it, and I'm still having a good bit of fun with it, but like you I'm ready for the kids to take over some of this stuff and let me sit back and enjoy them taking over. I'll be 59 in ten more days. I'm thinking a little differently now. In another 10 years I want to be able to look back at a life well spent. How I'm doing that is by respecting God and doing my best to follow His commandments. I've learned by doing this, everything else falls into place. I can then teach my children and grandchildren about life, and how to handle money, and what's really important, and what is basically meaningless. Getting them up and running on their own will provide for me some stress free time where I can like you, sit back and brush some nuts and bolts. :)

• Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
11 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Thank you Gary for the kind words. Yes, we had fun with it, and I'm still having a good bit of fun with it, but like you I'm ready for the kids to take over some of this stuff and let me sit back and enjoy them taking over. I'll be 59 in ten more days. I'm thinking a little differently now. In another 10 years I want to be able to look back at a life well spent. How I'm doing that is by respecting God and doing my best to follow His commandments. I've learned by doing this, everything else falls into place. I can then teach my children and grandchildren about life, and how to handle money, and what's really important, and what is basically meaningless. Getting them up and running on their own will provide for me some stress free time where I can like you, sit back and brush some nuts and bolts. :)

Thanks Van. Being old is not bad.

16 hours ago, doc724 said:

I agree with many of you about changing lives and downsizing.  I currently have 4 machines and am working on a restore of a C125-simply because I enjoy bringing tractors back to "close" to their original condition.  Do I need 5 tractors-NO, can I possibly use 5 tractors-NO.  For me, the ideal number is three, which leaves me a problem as I cannot bear to let one go.  I love my xi, and it is the only one with a loader.  I like my 416H because of the Onan and because it is a hydro.  My C141 is my favorite because it is like my first WH which I sold 20 years ago.  So that just leaves the 314-8 which has low hours and is in perfect condition except for two scratches and the C125 which is a work in progress.  In 10 years I will be 75 and I will not need these machines, plus, every attachment will be too heavy for me to lift anyway.  One by one, they will be sold.  When I was younger, I did not have the time or money to invest in this hobby.  Now I do and I hope to continue to have fun.  One thing I have learned as have many of you:  the only thing constant in life is change.  You can embrace change or resist it, but it will not go away.  Cheers!

Doc Nice post. I am with you but I think I may have a auction when it is time? One shot deal. Time will tell I guess. But in the mean time lets have some fun with what we have.

• Like 1

Indiana_Steve

I have had WH tractors over the years but only one at a time. I think a lot of us grew up with tractors and we have memories of the 50's, 60's, and 70's and the yard work. New kids don't have that. Their interests don't seem to involve mechanics of tractors. I have had the GE electrics partly because I am in the electronics field and they were interesting. I also collect antique radios. But as I get older I too wonder who will pick up our interests and run with them.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Thanks Steve. Nice post. I think it is on some our more senior members mind at times. 

• Like 1