rmaynard

THRUST BEARING KIT

rmaynard

FREE SHIPPING IN USA

rmaynard

Thrust bearing kits will be available to ship after December 26, 2016.

Edited by rmaynard
Status update
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

Only for the 520 swept axle?

cleat

My swept axle machines have had the thrust bearings cleaned and re-greased. Never seen a bad one, only bearings so packed with old dried grease and dirt that they would no longer function properly.

For the standard axle machines I punch out 2 1/16" thick teflon  washers per side and install them in the same place as the thrust bearings in the above diagram.

That reduces friction and the machines steer much easier.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 3

rmaynard
11 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Other models without swept front axles have the 1" spindles and use these as well.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Any of these available?

"D"- Man
On 11/11/2016 at 8:19 PM, DennisThornton said:

These old #9865 Thrust-Bearings are the same for the "D"-series with the 1" spindles.6110

• Like 1

RJR49

would it be safe to guess that the spindles on my C-160 are not 1"

wallfish
1 minute ago, RJR49 said:

would it be safe to guess that the spindles on my C-160 are not 1"

3/4" from the factory, unless it had been upgraded.

RJR49

Has anyone put thrust bearings on a C series. Seems like a pretty good upgrade

dseelye

I thought C series, 400 series were 7/8" spindles.  Can anyone confirm?

953 nut

GT-14, 953 and 1045 are 7/8".  My 418-C has 3/4" spindles.

dseelye

Interesting...I always thought they were 7/8" on my 416-8.  I will have to measure them next time I have an opportunity.  Doesn't matter a whole lot as I've never heard of them bending anyway but maybe this does happen?

I plan on putting a front custom hitch on my horse to provide a little more weight on the front end to bias the 300lb ballast I've put on my rear hitch for snow plow season...it makes the front end a little light and while I could remove some weight from the rear, I want to keep it on for better traction since this doesn't have a locking rear end and even with wheel weights / v-block chains I have gotten stuck a few times on slopes and the extra rear weight helps significantly.

wallfish
11 hours ago, dseelye said:

I thought C series, 400 series were 7/8" spindles.  Can anyone confirm?

3/4

953 nut
4 hours ago, dseelye said:

little more weight on the front end to bias the 300lb ballast I've put on my rear hitch for snow plow season.

If you are looking for weight that will improve traction and stability the best route to take is Liquid Filled Tires. The weight is low and applied directly to the drive wheels. You can use RV Antifreeze or windshield washer fluid. I run filled 10.50-12 with chains and additional 50 pound cast iron weights, unstoppable!

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5
  • Like 1

dseelye
29 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If you are looking for weight that will improve traction and stability the best route to take is Liquid Filled Tires. The weight is low and applied directly to the drive wheels. You can use RV Antifreeze or windshield washer fluid. I run filled 10.50-12 with chains and additional 50 pound cast iron weights, unstoppable!

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5

I was researching that as well so thank you for the table of weights... I heard many use washer fluid but honestly the normal stuff only goes down to -20deg F so based on being in the midwest felt that I would need to splurge for the higher priced -50deg F version or RV antifreeze since I store my WH in an outside shed.  I need to use mine for the summer to mow too so was wondering the effect on ride comfort since liquid isn't compressible like air so possibly pretty rough?  Let me know your thoughts here.  If I can grab a spare set of tires at some point that would solve that problem as I could swap tires.

Also, another question.  It looks like some of those older cast iron weights could be installed on the inside of the rear wheels, rather than just the outside?  I've got 50lb weights per wheel on the outside but nothing on the inside at this point.  I really wonder what a beast this thing would be with weights inside/out, 2-link v-bar chains, and the extra 300lbs I put on the back :-)   Would have been nice if they made 4WD but honestly think that setup could go through a lot.

• Like 1

cleat

I have a few machines with fluid filled tires .

You only fill to the valve stem when it is at the 12:00 position.

That allows the entire top portion of the tire to be air filled and give some cushion.

I actually feel the machines ride better due to the added weight.

They certainly feel more stable on hillsides.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, dseelye said:

I was researching that as well so thank you for the table of weights... I heard many use washer fluid but honestly the normal stuff only goes down to -20deg F so based on being in the midwest felt that I would need to splurge for the higher priced -50deg F version or RV antifreeze since I store my WH in an outside shed.  I need to use mine for the summer to mow too so was wondering the effect on ride comfort since liquid isn't compressible like air so possibly pretty rough?  Let me know your thoughts here.  If I can grab a spare set of tires at some point that would solve that problem as I could swap tires.

Also, another question.  It looks like some of those older cast iron weights could be installed on the inside of the rear wheels, rather than just the outside?  I've got 50lb weights per wheel on the outside but nothing on the inside at this point.  I really wonder what a beast this thing would be with weights inside/out, 2-link v-bar chains, and the extra 300lbs I put on the back :-)   Would have been nice if they made 4WD but honestly think that setup could go through a lot.

Fluid filled and inside(Cub Cadet Farmall)/outside(Massey Ferguson) weights on LAWN TRAC R1 tires rides better than the original turfs plus traction without chains to boot.

IMAG5493.jpg

IMAG5491.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2