grinchsr

Any Ideas

grinchsr

Other than angle iron does anyone have a better idea about how to repair this?  No I do not own a welder but maybe I should.  If I use angle iron will it be strong enough?  I knew about the problem when I bought the tractor but I did not pay much for the tractor

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

• Like 1

oldredrider

Unfortunately,  welding is the easiest and best way to fix this under engineered problem. Find someone with a welder (maybe on Craig's List) or take it to a welding/fab shop. It isn't a complicated fix and shouldn't be expensive. 

N3PUY

I cut a rectangular piece of metal and weld it in then drill a hole.

• Like 1

Retired Sparky

I feel your pain.    N3PUY has the right fix. All you need is the materials, the tools and the experience.   I had the same problem with my :wh:  tractor.  Fortunately I had the skills and could borrow a welder.  

Try the local coffee shop or the sandwich shop or pizza place for a pin up board. You might be surprised at what you might find for back yard mechanics. Chances are good that some one who works in a motor cycle shop or auto body place has a welder at home.   You buy the metal he needs and a six pack, he might even come to your house to do the repairs.  Don't laugh, it could happen. Some gear heads will do some amazing things. Especially if you show you love your tractor as much as he might love his cycle.  Good luck in finding your new friend.  B)

• Like 1

grinchsr

Hey Sparky you have me thinking about metal and a six pack.  If I just get the six pack do you think it will get fixed?:happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I wish I'd have kept the pics of the repair I made, without the use of a welder.  Locate a  2 x 2 angle iron 12 - 16 inch length.  Not too thick...about the same gauge as original.  I had an old bed frame to cut into two 12" pieces. 

1) remove both side panels and tunnel cover. 2) C-clamp angle iron to the UNDER-SIDE of the break-away part, so that the end sticks out 1/4 or so ...clamp it on both axis. 3)From the top side, mark the angle iron for original drill-hole locations of the cross brace and cover plate.  4)make a neat cut-away of the broken material. 5) Loose fit the angle iron in place 6)reset the side panel, pinching the angle iron BETWEEN the original break away part and the top edge of the side panel.  7)install original screws/bolts to secure the side panel and the tunnel cover. 8) find a large flat washer (1/8" thick...3/8ID) and install it between the CROSS-BRACE and the angle iron. 

This is impossibly difficult to explain....  wish I had those pics. 

grinchsr

Hi Dave.    The pics would have been nice but I understand your idea and I can see how that would work.   I don't weigh too much so I am sure the fix will hold up well.  I just have to find some solid angle iron.   THANKS