Larry Chamberlain

Replacing 8hp with 12hp

Larry Chamberlain

I'm trying to stuff a 12 Kohler under the hood of my 8 go 4 speed wheel horse but running into some issues I'm sure someone in here has done this please chime in thanks 

oldredrider

It would help if you described the issues......

Larry Chamberlain

sorry mounting the oil pan I need to be all but touching the battery tray but I can't drill the front holes cause if the steering mount for the tie rods

kudzu3

What tractor do you have?

Larry Chamberlain

8hp 4 speed it's a 73

kudzu3

Do you know the model of the tractor. I'm thinking the 12 should hook right up, but I'm certainly not an expert.

Larry Chamberlain

Aolt of cleaned issues yes it hooks right up I had to notch the lower corner of the hood so I clears the oil pan ear now the issue with the air cleaner I'm just gonna have to notch the side I bought a gt14 air cleaner neck so I can mount out the side but gotta take a good chunk out the side of the hood 

• Like 1

kudzu3

Sounds like you may have it figured out Larry, how about some pictures :)

• Like 1

Larry Chamberlain

1471809665309751054599.jpg

14718096865651606012160.jpg

14718097036371880876445.jpg

• Like 1

kudzu3

Wow, that is tight! Surely someone here has done this, I'd sure like to see how it was done.

19richie66

Couldn't you have mounted the motor further back and move the battery to the front? Not next to a tractor at the moment. Just a thought.

skrusins

Has the frame be altered ? There are a lot of holes drilled in the side from what I see. It's not standard.

kudzu3

I searched 1973 wheel horse tractor images and looking at the 8 hp, there's just not enough room in there for a 12. The 8 hp engine sets forward, almost against the hood grill. Looking at the pictures, the frame seems to be stock, the holes are there. I think that tractor just wasn't made to for a bigger engine without a lot of alteration. Keep us posted Larry, interesting project.

Larry Chamberlain

I got the hood all notched out did I dry fit up of the clutch and belt everything seems to be good gotta send the block to machine shop with the piston to get bored 10 over 

• Like 1

kudzu3

Glad to hear things are fitting, May be a good idea to check the crank too, I had one re built a few years ago and when I got it all together and cranked it up, it had a slight knock. Had to take it all down and have the crank turned :bitch:.   :wwp:

• Like 1