608KEB

Mower deck spindle removal ?

608KEB

I have what I was told was a 1979 42"Rd deck. I've removed the spindles in newer decks and older decks. I've not encountered  spindles with keys in them before. To remove the shaft from the housing do I hit it through? Or use a press? I'm also having trouble getting the keys out. I got 1 out.

IMG_20160816_111101070_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160816_111106937.jpg

I got it! I tapped on shaft. It came right out.

• Like 1

608KEB

No problems....yet. removed snap rings 

IMG_20160816_112048863.jpg

1471366190982-45912951.jpg

• Like 2

608KEB

ID # might as well do a little rehab work since I took it apart. 2 of the 6 bearings are shot.

1471376454623-700909746.jpg

1471376516554-1179852842.jpg

1471376591646-1676697307.jpg

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

That type spindle on those decks  takes a little longer to work on when redoing one but they last a lot longer also.  Deck housing looks like a very good one too!   

• Like 2

gwest_ca

In case you were wondering your build date is 9123

123rd day of 1979

Thursday May 3, 1979

Garry

• Like 2

608KEB

Thanks, I received the deck for free. A gentleman saw my Wheel Horses and asked if I wanted a mower deck for free. He told me it was in good shape and he hadn't used it in over 25 years. Said it came with a 1979 C-141. The belt idler bar is hardly worn. Free and in decent shape is always a great deal!

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

You can still buy new replacements for that idler bar (last time I checked)  and  you should use new  nylon bushings too (Glen Pettit sells replacements )    The idler  needs to run smooth to have a  good operating mower deck.

608KEB

New bearings #6203.$117.00 total ouch! New idler bar spacers. I've used this rust converter in the past with good results. Works as a primer too. Starting to put the deck back together.

IMG_20160818_140030081.jpg

IMG_20160818_140048536.jpg

1471547166329754101512.jpg

608KEB

I'm having a little trouble getting the key past the collar with the grooves in it? I have instructions. What am I doing wrong?

IMG_20160818_142857632.jpg

WHX??
35 minutes ago, 608KEB said:

New bearings #6203.$117.00 total ouch!

That doesn't sound right for that common of a bearing!

608KEB
1 hour ago, WHX7 said:

That doesn't sound right for that common of a bearing!

That's what I thought. Because a few months ago, I bought bearings  for 42"RD #78350. They were  about $6.00 a piece. I was surprised. These were $17.00 each. I bought them from the same bearing house. I was also wondering if the deck belt would interchange with deck #78350. The belt on 95-42MR02 is original and shot. The belt I have appears to be about 1" longer.

Edited by 608KEB

WHX??

Yah I hate to say it 608 but I think you took it in the shorts & no more business for that bearing house. I know your not supposed to do this here but sue me ...I am not gonna let a fellow member get robbed

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/6302-bearing

These are what I use and I am sure they are not real high quality but I can change bearings in a deck all day and I grease often.

608KEB

It's  my fault.  Last time I bought bearings for my other 42" rd I asked how much they were. This time I did not ask. I assumed the bearings would be simular in price. I'm over it. Lost or spent money in worse ways! Still trying to figure out how to get the 1/2 moon key in. The collar with groves doesn't go in far enough maybe my top bearing needs to go in further. I don't  want to damage anything. 

IMG_20160818_142857632.jpg

Edited by 608KEB

doc724

You do not need to put the woodruff key back.  Newer decks did not use a key anymore.  Just make sure you can fit a lock nut under the nut which holds the pulley on. Use lots of never seize between the pulley and shaft. 

608KEB
4 hours ago, doc724 said:

Top bearing  wasn't tapped in far enough.

Edited by 608KEB

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1

608KEB

A few more pictures. I soaked some of the bolts in vinegar. Brushed rust remover gel and vinegar on underside  of the deck. 

IMG_20160818_161138664.jpg

IMG_20160818_161120602.jpg

IMG_20160819_173443876.jpg

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
On 8/17/2016 at 9:12 AM, Lane Ranger said:

You can still buy new replacements for that idler bar (last time I checked)  and  you should use new  nylon bushings too (Glen Pettit sells replacements )    The idler  needs to run smooth to have a  good operating mower deck.

Typically what happens to an old deck and especially one that has sat around is this.  The slide bar rides on top of two little strips of Delrin, causing a little space between the deck top and slide bar in the area between the Delrin strips. Dirt enters the area and water makes the thing rust. The bar pits and if the deck sets around, the slide bar freezes in place and then the mower belts will break..

What I did was buff the deck free from rust with a  wheel and use rust converter. I also used my secret weapon abrasive wheel on the slide bar and deck http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=polycarbide+abrasive+wheel

and these wheels will impart a near mirror finish to steel in short order. I have told people to try them for paint removal and they thank me every time for mentioning the wheels. Instead of riding on Delrin, I just find a piece of Formica and cut it a couple of inches wide and cut two slots in it to caapture it in between two bolts so it is under the slide bar. I slather grease beneath the Formica so there is no place for more rust to form. Then i use just a little plumbers grease [completely waterproof] between the slide bar and the formica. It then slides very easily  and there is not a space for dirt to get in.

The next step is a judgement call, but I run the mower without the deck belt guard and i blow off the dirt and dust on a regular basis.

• Like 3