Al C.

New Brake Lining - Amazing!

stevasaurus

Great pictures of the process.  Thanks for sharing.  I have one of Bob's linings to put on yet.  :)

• Like 4

rmaynard

Thanks for the nice compliment Al. :thanks:

• Like 3

DougC

Glad you're able to stop now, just don't forget and slam down on that brake pedal and get launched over the hood of your  :wh:.            :lol:

Al C.

Not a joke.   I'm able to lock the rear wheels with only a little effort.   Much better than planning stops ten feet in advance. ;-)

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I know this thread's over a year old but thanks again for the great pics. I'm about to order a lining too.

I'm curious to know... Given the fact that the old lining appears to be nearly full thickness, what causes the extreme pedal push effort?

Do the linings age?

Foreign materials such as oil?

Thanks in advance.

rmaynard

When you get the old lining off, you will notice that it is shiny. This is due to oil and dirt building up on the surface. Over time, it gets very slick from pressure and heat. Once you have the brake band removed, clean the drum well, and break the glaze on it with fine sand paper. If it is wet with oil, you may need to replace the oil seal on the brake shaft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, rmaynard said:

When you get the old lining off, you will notice that it is shiny. This is due to oil and dirt building up on the surface. Over time, it gets very slick from pressure and heat. Once you have the brake band removed, clean the drum well, and break the glaze on it with fine sand paper. If it is wet with oil, you may need to replace the oil seal on the brake shaft.

Ah yes... ok.

It is shiny but I don't think it has any oil on it.

I'll double check.

Thanks !

• Like 1

Sarge

I have taken the glaze off brake linings with a belt sander - it does help but a new lining will be like night and day , for the price you'd be surprised to see how it really was designed to work and they were quite effective .

Wish my older Auto models had the external brakes , too bad all the models didn't have them .

Sarge

• Like 1