Terry M

Cannas

Terry M

Picked up some Tropical Canna roots, bulbs (or whatever you call them) from the LeSueur power pioneer swap meet last spring.   Not as tall as I thought they would grow, but now the tops are budding.  Really happy with how they look.:)   Planning on expanding the planting locations next year..

IMG_0726.JPG

• Like 4

tunahead72

Growing well in "tropical" Minnesota?  Nice work!

Terry M
32 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Growing well in "tropical" Minnesota?

yeah,Those seem to grow fast when the hot and humid weather hit here.  I also was informed a while ago that I need to dig up the root/bulbs before it becomes too cold.    Minnesota has been really tropical the last few weeks...looking forward to some cooler weather, which here in MN is pretty much going to happen sooner or later..lol.

wrightorchid

They can get about 7 feet tall in Florida, and will tend to spread out a bit. If you dig them up each year, no worries on getting out of control.  There is a moth that will lay eggs and will tie some silk around the emerging leaf, so if a leaf is not opening, this is why.  Just tear the silk and unroll the leaf  You will usually find the worm inside.  

• Like 1

6wheeler
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, Terry M said:

yeah,Those seem to grow fast when the hot and humid weather hit here.  I also was informed a while ago that I need to dig up the root/bulbs before it becomes too cold.    Minnesota has been really tropical the last few weeks...looking forward to some cooler weather, which here in MN is pretty much going to happen sooner or later..lol.

Keep talking like that last line. We will make you get an "Outside" job:ychain:. I didn,t realize you wanted to become the RSMT. Canna officianado:ROTF:. The bulb expert here says dig them up, let them dry out. And, bury them in dry peat moss and store in a cool dry place. In spring? re-plant, watch grow. Repeat......

Terry M
7 minutes ago, 6wheeler said:

The bulb expert here says dig them up, let them dry out. And, bury them in dry peat moss and store in a cool dry place. In spring? re-plant, watch grow. Repeat....

Thanks for the info Pat!!:D...the Bulbs are in cool storage now and will be replanted in the spring.   Thanks for naming me the Rosemount Canna aficionado !!!!

• Like 1