powderfinger

help me get a grip !!!!!

powderfinger

I have 6-12 tires on my 857. the tread looks like a winter tire off a 1977 nova..i disc, plan to plow once I get some weights,etc. not concerned about tearing up the yard. am I better off w/ ag tires or chains for the current ones?

857.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

It depends on what kind of surface you are plowing.  Assuming it is level...blacktop is good with what you have...concrete is also good with what you have and maybe chains...gravel is good with what you have with chains or ags.  :)  I've been fine with just tires like yours for years and I have not had to use chains.  I have concrete for a surface.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

CasualObserver

Pretty sure he's talking about moldboard plowing.....

It's really a case by case kind of question. Some guys swear by their turf tires with chains for ground breaking, others say you have to go bar tread tires and just keep adding weight.  It's all dependent on what works best in your soil conditions.

• Like 5

powderfinger

plowing soil. should have specified.......

• Like 2

elliot ness

I like bar tires for ground engaging and snow removal, and straight treads for lawn care. I have used chain, but you need to keep an eye on them as they tend to get loose and can damage fender pans and take out hydro fans.:twocents-02cents::twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Sorry, as you can see in my avatar, I am always thinking about the white stuff.  :)  Your 857 will do good in the white stuff also.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 4

Terry M

6-12's on my short frame tractor work well for getting around. Really easy on the turf with no tire slippage, Climbs up and through anything I have.   Haven't really worked them hard yet...but maybe some day...

P8070071.JPG

• Like 8

DougC

A set of rear tire chains are much cheaper than a pair of new bar tires. I put chains on my turf tires to till the garden with rear mounted tiller and have no trouble. I have long slopped gravel driveway and large concrete  pad in front of house and the chains work very well to blade or snow throw in the winter. I don't have a pull behind dirt plow however so my comment may be all wet.....:lol:

Well, I can't spell sloped either.... 

I've already slopped the pigs......:lol:

Edited by DougC
  • Like 4

powderfinger
3 hours ago, Terry M said:

6-12's on my short frame tractor work well for getting around. Really easy on the turf with no tire slippage, Climbs up and through anything I have.   Haven't really worked them hard yet...but maybe some day...

P8070071.JPG

how about a close up of the plow hitch?   did you buy those or did WH come with? nice!

• Like 1

Terry M
9 minutes ago, powderfinger said:

how about a close up of the plow hitch?   did you buy those or did WH come with? nice!

Do you mean the hitch that's bolted to the trans for the snow plow??     It was on the tractor when I bought it.  Its been repainted with the same paint on the sheet metal....and I had the smaller parts Chromed.   I'll see if I can dig-up a better pic.

• Like 1

Terry M

Here is a pic of the hitch before assembly.  Can't find one of it mounted on the tractor....I'll snap a pic next chance I get..

P6160041.JPGP6160038.JPG

• Like 4

DennisThornton

I have R4 industrial tires on my NH TC35 and I cannot work snow without chains.  I also have turfs with year round chains on my C-81 and LOVE them!  I'd like to try some ags someday for dirt but for year round use I love my turfs/chains combo.  Turfs will get more chain to the surface than either R4s or ags and it's the chains that get the job done.

• Like 5

T-Mo

For plowing dirt, either ag tires or chains would work.  Most plow with the ags, but I seen and used chains before when plowing dirt.  Either way, you will be fine.  Ags just give it that authentic, farm like image.....:thumbs:

• Like 4

Terry M
7 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Ags just give it that authentic, farm like image.....:thumbs:

Yes they do!!  Thats why I like em' !!!:)

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Funny, I'm looking at a good deal on some mounted ags and I want them.  Not because I feel that I need them, but because they look like TRACTOR tires!

Edited by DennisThornton
the to "they"
  • Like 1

Terry M

@powderfinger , Tractors a little dirty...but here's a close up of the hitch and other chrome add-ons.

IMG_0727.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0729.JPGIMG_0731.JPG

• Like 4

TDF5G

A little dirty?  :huh:

It looks great to me! 

• Like 1

powderfinger
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:58 AM, T-Mo said:

For plowing dirt, either ag tires or chains would work.  Most plow with the ags, but I seen and used chains before when plowing dirt.  Either way, you will be fine.  Ags just give it that authentic, farm like image.....:thumbs:

hey, I want to look cool too !!!!!!!!!

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:56 PM, Terry M said:

@powderfinger , Tractors a little dirty...but here's a close up of the hitch and other chrome add-ons.

IMG_0727.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0729.JPGIMG_0731.JPG

thanks

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like that chrome touch. Lookin good.

Glenn