mrc

grader blade

mrc

hi guys,  opinions on 40 inch vs. 50 inch grader blade please.  thanks mike in mass.

953 nut

That would depend on the size :wh: it will be on. 8 HP; 40"---- 14 HP 50"    :twocents-02cents:

N3PUY

I have a 50" blade on my C121.

12HP and it works great.

I like it because it sticks out past the wheels even when angled.

Here's pics.

IMG_0773 (800x600).jpg

BLADE STRAIGHT

IMG_0801 (800x600).jpg

BLADE ANGLED

IMG_0802 (800x600).jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

MVI_3124.AVI

50" here on my C-175.

MalMac

50 is a push blade because of being mounted on the rear axle attach o matic and the 40 is a pull because of being mounted on the mid hitch. A push blade will have more of a tendency to dig down with down pressure applied and the pull type will have more of tendency to want to spread and float better. Now being thats it's attached to a tractor that is really not all that heavy and if it's a manual vs a hydro you really wont have down pressure. So other than width difference you probably won't notice a difference.

• Like 1

Forest Road

50" hands down my favorite WH accessory! On a dial a height equipped manual tractor it's priceless on my 1/4 mile gravel driveway. It does an amazing job leveling things off if you have loose gravel. I've also used it to dig out and level in a hillside. It works unbelievably well. 

Using a hydro you have to be careful not to put too much down pressure on it and dig up your road. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Forest Road said:

50" hands down my favorite WH accessory! On a dial a height equipped manual tractor it's priceless on my 1/4 mile gravel driveway. It does an amazing job leveling things off if you have loose gravel. I've also used it to dig out and level in a hillside. It works unbelievably well. 

Using a hydro you have to be careful not to put too much down pressure on it and dig up your road. 

I've either heard that before or heard you twice.  Either and both is possible!  

Any experience or thoughts on the two styles?  Mid-mount or rear mount?  Push or pull?

I really have been looking for one!

Edited by DennisThornton
"and" to "or"

Forest Road

I do believe you and I had a conversation concerning graders at some point. 

I only have experience w the 50" which mounts to the axle and is pushed. When tearing out stone and soil in my opinion you're better off w the axle mount vs a 40"

on the mid tach a matic. The rear axle is the strongest point on those tractors. 

Some me guys will argue that the 40 is better because it drags like a real grader. Ummm hey guys these are little teeny tiny garden tractors lets just appreciate them for what they are. I've cleaned up our driveway many times w my 50. I've tried tow

behind York rakes and a 6' driveway groomer. Nothing, and mean NOTHING, has worked as well. It's highly efficient and easier to use than the other methods I've tried. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Neither have come up for sale around here.  Not that I have traveled out of the area for other tractor stuff but I'm lucky to see one within 3 hours of here!  There's a rear mount one about that far now but it's also $350s.  Maybe I'd pay that if local but I'm not driving that far AND paying that much!  Or heck, maybe I should, but I think I can make one in less time than a round trip!

MalMac

I have used both types, to me if the material is real loose the 40 is just a tad better. The 50 provides I feel a better handling and leveling harder packed, uneven material. If I was to just get one I would go with the 50.

Tankman

Unfortunately don't have a WH grader but do have one. Mounted on my B-10 Allis Chalmers.

Keeps my stone 'n millings nice and level.