Detector

How much can the 312 Hydro tow?

Detector

As far as rolling weight on flat surface, how much can the 312 Hydro tow safely without damage? I looked through my manual but did not see anything, I may had overlooked it though. I was in the market for a gear drive model but could not pass up this Hydro. I have a lot of trees on my property and after a storm I end up with a mess, branches, fallen trees I cut up and put on my 5X8' trailer to haul to my debris pile. I sold my Polaris Sportsman I was using for the job, just wondering how the Hydro would do, a load could average 300 lbs. I still have the factory pin hitch if that's what it's called for light dump carts/sweepers... Thought about buying a used ball hitch but wanted some input on towing with these units. I rigged a hitch on a older Craftsman LT1000 gear drive model which does ok but the frame is a bit weak for heavy towing. Thanks!!

T-Mo

The rule of thumb is, don't tow more than what you and the tractor weigh.  If the weight of what's being towed is greater than you and the tractor, then stopping becomes a problem, even on flat surfaces.  Plus, that way you won't overtaxed the hydro in your tractor if you follow this rule of thumb.  Yeah, it may tow more, but that would be my advice.

• Like 6

Retired Wrencher

I used to tow my 20` boat out of the Garage with a 1057. I have a picture some where.. And my first introduction to Wheel Horse [ early 80`s} was a boat dealer that I did business with early 60 vintage model. He used to move large boats around on the show room floor. I believe they where smaller cruisers 20` and above. Boy could you snake in a trailer with a tractor. Nice tight fit. that is my :twocents-02cents:.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

You are not going to hurt that hydro pulling 300 lbs.  You could chain that horse to a tree and the rear tires would just start digging into the ground.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

2013_0503c0002.JPG

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 7

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

If your 312 has the hydraulic lift, it should have the better Eaton 1100 tranny.  The manual lift will have the weaker Eaton 700.    Either should handle any load if the trannys are good. The limiter in towing is usually traction.    My first test when I buy any hydro tractor is to chain it to a tree and make sure it will spin the tires in forward and reverse.

Be very careful when using a small tractor to move a heavy load.   Braking and flipping can be very dangerous.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 7

KC9KAS
4 hours ago, Detector said:

I rigged a hitch on a older Craftsman LT1000 gear drive model which does ok but the frame is a bit weak for heavy towing.

If a Craftsman pulled the trailer, you should be able to double the weight and a Wheel Horse do he job....JMHO!

• Like 5

Uncle Buck
4 hours ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

I used to tow my 20` boat out of the Garage with a 1057. I have a picture some where.. And my first introduction to Wheel Horse [ early 80`s} was a boat dealer that I did business with early 60 vintage model. He used to move large boats around on the show room floor. I believe they where smaller cruisers 20` and above. Boy could you snake in a trailer with a tractor. Nice tight fit. that is my :twocents-02cents:.

Exactly, I use to do the same thing myself using nothing more than a 1968 Lawn Ranger. In fact, once I chained a Chevy 350 engine complete with heads and internals laying on the ground to the same LR  and drug it across the yard to my engine hoist. That was dead weight too, not rolling weight.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Uncle Buck...you are not in Kansas anymore.  :ychain:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

Uncle Buck
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Uncle Buck...you are not in Kansas anymore.  :ychain:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Shhhh, Don't say that in front of my horses, they might start thinking they can stop working so hard! I have high expectations for all of mine. :lol:

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, T-Mo said:

The rule of thumb is, don't tow more than what you and the tractor weigh.  If the weight of what's being towed is greater than you and the tractor, then stopping becomes a problem, even on flat surfaces.  Plus, that way you won't overtaxed the hydro in your tractor if you follow this rule of thumb.  Yeah, it may tow more, but that would be my advice.

Probably very prudent advice, but I once jacked up a 10' X 16' wood framed storage building and put it on a flat bed utility trailer. Very early the next morning I pulled it out on to the road and towed it a quarter mile or so to a friends house (only had one car meet us and he about drove off the road watching. We were on flat ground (Florida) and in second gear so the brakes on the 1055 didn't have to work too hard. Wish I had taken some pictures, it was quite a sight. Weight on a flat surface with good rolling tires shouldn't be a big deal, like T-Mo said, got to be able to stop what you start! Also, remember that the stopping power on a :wh: is applied to the transmission and distributed to the tires through the differential, so the tire with the least traction will stop turning while the other will keep on rolling. If you get going too fast the load could push you causing you to jack-knife. 

• Like 4

DougC

Beware of inclines when using your garden tractors to tow heavy wheeled things like tri-hull fiberglass ski boats.

In 1983 my father-in-law got to far down his inclined driveway and the force of gravity won. He had to jump off his Massey Ferguson 12 hp gear drive as it went sliding down the steep driveway with boat still attached into the neighbors mailbox and then into a drainage ditch. Boat OK, father-in-law OK Massey destroyed.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:   Very good advice....When towing on an incline, the towing vehicle should weigh as much as the towed vehicle.

My experience...  I routinely used my Commando 8 to move my 23' 6000lb boat into and out of my barn for winter storage. All flat smooth pavement and I had no problems until the day I was pulling the boat out of the barn and one of the rear trailer wheels contacted the corner of a 2X4 that I didn't see.    The Commando did a back flip faster than I could depress the clutch.

Luckily the extended hitch acted as a wheelie bar and held the tractor in a vertical position with one wheel spinning.    After I realized I was still breathing, I shut off the tractor and headed for the house to change my shorts.    I still move some heavy loads, but I always leave the trailer tongue jacks lowered to prevent another flip.

• Like 5

T-Mo

Not only does your tow vehicle need to weight more than what you're towing for stopping purposes, but also it's important when towing up a hill.  If not, this can happen.

• Like 8

953 nut

I am very impressed that a Yougo could make it up that hill, much less towing a travel trailer.  :text-coolphotos:

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher
21 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

You are not going to hurt that hydro pulling 300 lbs.  You could chain that horse to a tree and the rear tires would just start digging into the ground.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

2013_0503c0002.JPG

Nice set up Steve.

• Like 2

DougC

I bet he wanted a bigger travel trailer but had to settle for one he could afford.

Looks like the head gasket blew with all that white antifreeze smoke coming out of the exhaust, of course that doesn't matter now that everything is destroyed!    :lol:

• Like 2

TDF5G

300 LBS should not be a problem for your horse.

I pull a 48" lawn roller full of water which is supposed to be 540 lbs, with my B-100 which pulls it up hills with no problem.  And that's also with about 100 lbs or so of wheel weights attached. 

IMG_3016.JPG

• Like 2

BESTDOGEVER

I routinely pull a 17 cu ft cart stacked way over the top with firewood probably weighing at least 1000 pounds with my 310 and the 418A on flat ground and have no problem with pulling or stopping I would worry about going downhill but I have found common sense and a little healthy fear are good safety features 

• Like 4

Bigfish

Not a hydro but my 312-8 has pulled a 5x12 landscape trailer with about 1200lbs of wheel horses on it. Trailer + cargo about 2400lbs + or -. Mind you, it was level ground, and I did get pushed about a foot when I tried to stop in the grass. It moves the empty trailer no problem no pushing. The horse is only as strong as its weakest tooth. Lol

• Like 2

Detector

Thanks for the helpful tips, yes mine has the Eaton 1100. Glad my yard is flat with no inclines!! I'd hate to be in that situation like the guy in towing that camper, looked kinda bad!!. I've got the factory hitch on the rear but the hole is not large enough to accept a trailer ball, I'll keep looking on Ebay for one

Edited by Detector

bmsgaffer

May I refer you to one of our vendors that custom makes one. I have yet to personally own one (saving my pennies!) but I think it is without a doubt the best one available for a wheel horse.

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

its one of those points in life moving more than you should with something like a wheel horse. it will either end in tragedy or end well with the story being bragging rights fodder... I have heard storys of suburbans moving cars... tempted to try it...:laughing-rollingyellow: 

• Like 1

953 nut

I have pulled a street rod project with my Suburban, but I used a 20' chain and the project had functional brakes and a driver.

• Like 2