CasualObserver

Dealer List

i967mustang

Parisi motors Chrysler and wheel horse dealer in Hammonton NJ

• Like 2

Theswampthing

Think I found a new dealer here in NEPA. It was a Honda motorcycle dealership, and my uncle is almost certain that my great uncle bought a brand new WH there in the 60's, with all the attachments. My dad told me about the tractor, but never mentioned where my great uncle bought it. I know that the place also sold Bananna Splits vehicles, so I don't doubt the horse dealership. If I can confirm, I'll add it to the list. I grew up about 2 miles from this place, and all I remember is an old garage which has since been demo'd. There was also a Chevy junkyard behind it, full of early 60's and late 50's Chevys. Some nice 2 door V8 cars in the place in various staged of decay. Me and a buddy used to sneak in at night and just take in all that vintage iron, and talk about how much of a shame it was. Someone bought all of the cars and parts and cleaned up that yard a few years after I moved. 

Dkphillips

I purchased my first two Wheel Horses from Basset Wheel Horse in Belleville, IN. (Clayton, IN address) The first in 1967 and not sure of the date of purchase of the second but it was a GT14.

Watch3612

My contribution:

Baumert Sales and Service, Hartford, CT

post-11476-0-84850800-1385511352.jpg

• Like 2

CasualObserver

I want to thank you all who took part in my little survey... the results were really as I expected.  I've finally had some time to rework the list in the first post and organize by state.  (If you find an error in there, please just PM  me, and I'll get it fixed as quick as I can)

Thank you to all who have contributed to this list so far.  I've updated with the available information through the last post. :thumbs:

I've also updated the original post to include this paragraph. 

This list  evolved into more than I ever thought it could be.  I've had many emails and PMs from people thanking me for doing this list.  Those messages have come from people who are touched in different ways by seeing a familiar name on this list.  Some are related to the past proprietors of some of these, others just celebrate what this list represents as an homage to many small business entrepreneurs that had a dream and made a living.  I thank you each and all for those messages.  I celebrate with you those small business dreams.  And I thank each and every one of you who have contributed to this list!

Keep them coming folks... there were thousands!  We're just getting started!

• Like 1

KATO

My Raider 10 was originally bought at Orillia Small Motors in Orillia Ontario

in 1970. Current owner isnt sure when they first opened but they are still in business.

1989520HC

Snyders Fix It Shop. Endicott N.Y. Wheel Horse Dealer for many many years. 

SAM58

C V STURGILL'S WHEELHORSE SALES & SERVICE

BROADWAY ST

PAINTSVILLE, KY. 41240

STILL OPEN, except CV's grandson has turn it into a muffler shop.

My oldest brother still has a 1972 Raider 12 still running that he bought new there. :USA:

Theswampthing

Lutz's Honda

Still Creek, Pennsylvania.

Row Cropper

I have been using Michael's Mower's at Houston, Ohio for over 30 years. They are the best in western Ohio for Wheel Horse knowledge, parts and repair.  I drive past a couple other "authorized" Toro dealers on my way to Houston, but every time I try one of them the answer is always the same, "We can order that part for you".  I can order parts all day on the internet, but sometimes I want it right now and Michael's never disappoints me!  They currently sell new equipment and I frankly can't tell you the brands because everytime I go in the conversation is about WHEEL HORSE!

Edited by Row Cropper

dave in A.P.

I live north of Pgh. Pa. I have 2 Wheel Horse dealers that I buy from. 1st is Jacks Toro Wheel Horse in Sarver Pa. Lots of parts in stock, they carry quite a bit of stuff for 300-400-500 series.  2nd is Labuda Farm Service in Herminie Pa. Not only do they carry lots of parts,but they also have a tractor junkyard, I got the pedal for Matts foot conv .for $5.00. There is a women who works there behind the counter who is quite knowledgable about Wheel Horse.

• Like 1

groundhog47

Unfortunately I never got to meet this gent. His wife said "He absolutely Wheel Horse....."

He sold and collected "broken" ones. Do not final sales/distribution date, but last manual found was 1980.

I was lucky enough to get into the contact group and eventually buy all his existing NOS and a few "broken" stuff. Friend pacer Bill, had a couple C-100's follow him home.

Anyway in the NOS was one of his fender stick ons; I asked son if he wanted to keep and would he mind if we posted the stick on. He gave permission and a copy to post. 

The family is still in business, Radio Shack and fireworks. The son is a very fine fellow living in NC but still treks back here as needed.

post-8388-0-39809400-1387483712_thumb.jp

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Found on the new C-175...   :) 

I brought down from the boonies.  

post-3498-0-39142300-1387730140_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-96819400-1387730167_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-32212500-1387730199_thumb.jp

• Like 3

cumminscook

Bruce's mower service 702 South Main St. Phillipsburg NJ 08865 (908)454-6893 opened in 1980 and still open

marreque

Timberlake 147 Main Rd, Tiverton, RI, USA

dmoore

a picture is worth a thousand words...

parker2.jpg

I bet you're familiar with Bob's weld shop on Alpine Rd ?   that  was a Wheel Horse dealer

I noticed you're from Lewisberry....I'm a stone throw from you south of Spring Grove .....our local dealer was Inerst Auto in Jacobus .....still open today with Toro/  Echo / Wheel horse parts .

Edited by dmoore
  • Like 1

dmoore

My 42" blade was sold new from Bob's!

20140102_151312_zpsc92a1c58.jpg

• Like 1

dmoore

My dealer is:

Lawson's Outdoor Power Equipment

113 W Main Street

New Market, MD, 21774

He still has old and restored Wheel Horses on the showroom floor. Here is a picture of his sign on the front of the building

attachicon.gifLawsons.jpg

Mike has helped me over the last 17 years...good people!

• Like 1

SCOOBY 312-h

where i work. pristow's sales and service. 1900 bedford street johnstown, pa 15904

HorseWhisperer

I found this place a few years go bout 30 minutes from home.It's a busy,reliable 60 year old shop that two sons run now in their fathers place.It's on a dead end country road and is an empty honey hole as of last year,they cleaned up and scraped the bone yard!:(

post-6115-0-36055600-1389986881_thumb.jp

• Like 1

hm12460

Got time for a story? Back in 1988 I bought a Commando 800 at an auction sale in Chesapeake, VA. while on active duty in the Navy (Norfolk, VA.) There was a Wheel Horse dealer in Norfolk, but for the life of me I can't remember their name. Do recall buying a new clutch disc from them for $20. Brought the little Commando back home to Michigan upon Honorable Discharge in 1992.  Sold it around 2004-05 (?) Bought a new 310-8 from Meister's Yard and Garden in Muskegon Heights, MI. in 1993. Bill Meister moved the business out to the suburbs, Fruitport township around 1995 or so. They closed must of been 1998-99. I recall Bill saying he couldn't compete with the newly built big box store's that were going up all around him. His old store in the Heights was a really cool store. BTW, just bought another Commando 800 last week, it's a keeper.

Edited by hm12460

farmerall

Rhodes Lawn and Garden in Imperial Pa

The owner bought the business in 72 or 73 and he is still open today. He mostly sells parts and does service work but he does sell a few White lawn tractors and Toro push mowers. He used to sell Bolens and he also sold Wheel Horse's. I don't know if he sold both brands at the same time or not though.

There was also a dealer in McDonald Pa. I'm unsure of when they opened and closed or the name. I have talked to the owner before though, after he closed his dealership he rented the building to a pizza shop. This past summer the state demolished the old building.

racin_ny

New York

Don's Sales and Service 8638 NY 104 Hannibal NY 13074 (315) 564 five three three five Still Open

Christiano Hardware Leicester NY 1950's -2013

Ken's Sales and Service Inc 11500 Clinton St Elma NY 14059 (716) 683 one one five five Still Open

RedRider

While researching my grandparent's store I found this vintage Wheel Horse add from a newspaper dated March 30, 1969.  My grandparents owned Brant's Farm and Garden Center in Somerset, PA and sold Wheel Horse tractors from approximately 1968 until the mid 1970's. 

post-12629-0-03244800-1393927022_thumb.j

• Like 2

chris sutton

Interesting thread, I bought a 1956 RJ35 and 1958 RJ58 with a snow plow from a guy in up state New York. when I went to meet him he told me that his farther ran a dealership and had given up and these 2 Wheelhorse's were in the barn. 

It was called.

Fran Kehl Sales and Service.

Route 20 A,

Strykersville, N.Y.14145.

and the two tractors still have the dealers decals on here in the UK

• Like 1