Original dealer sticker on my 1964 model 854:

Scots-854-0010.jpg

Scot

• Like 1

Jumo

Lincoln Rental and Sales

3110 Auburn Street

Rockford, IL 61101

My dad bought a 1968 Commando 8 and mid 74 C 120 auto from there.

The Commando broke ground on a 1 acre garden and maintained it... plus mowed 1.5 acres for many years.  I remember the guy that sold him the C 120 couldn't believe the Commando 8 did all it did.  The Kohler lost the rod in '86.  We rebuilt it and sold it.  He wanted to get the 520H when it first came out, but because of health he gave up gardening.

I got a '89 520-H to take care of my 3/4 acre garden and my dad drools over it.  I still head over to Lincoln Rental to pick up the occasional part. 

ericj

Dale's mower service, 2541 RT.143, Kempton PA 19529. 610-756-6453, dale started selling wheel horse in or about 1990. still is a toro dealer and come to the big show bringing a lot of factory parts at good prices. he is also a collector

eric j   

Edited by ericj

papaglide

Niagara Implement

Lockport-Olcott Road

Newfane NY 14108

Started selling Horses in 1989 after being a Case dealer for years. Now they're a Toro and Kubota dealer. They have an old microfiche viewer for looking at wheel horse parts diagrams. Great dealer and outstanding service. The parts counter guy has been dealing with wheel horses since the 70's and is a great help. They give the ole "your a good customer" discount quite often! Can't beat that. Its a place where they know you by name and don't forget you. Best yet, only 10 minutes from the house.

I have 2 more local dealers but I have to do more research on them.

FreddieFarmall

Was looking at this thread tonight, and don't see my 'local' dealers listed:

Ken Bergren, Inc. is still in business in Williamsport, Pa. They have handled Wheel Horse for years along with Cub Cadet, Ariens, Echo, Toro, and some other lines. Ken is still in the store sometimes, but it is now run by his sons Mark and Phil.

Another dealer in my area Was G and R Garage in Hughesville, PA. Charlie Gottschall was the proprietor, and he sold a pile of Horses for a little shop. Charlie passed away and the business was liquidated about 15 years ago.

Thanks for getting this thread started-small businesses like many of these listed were what made America great, and are sadly dwindling away.

Fred P.

Don1977

Killians Hardware & Outdoor Equipment, Hickory, NC still open operated by the 3th and 4th generation of the original owner. Opened in 1953.

Edited by Don1977

Hammerhead

Well a couple of my favorites are of course Jones Wheel Horse Sales and Service in Hamlet Indiana 46532, Jones Service, 10921 N. St. Rt. 66 Piqua Ohio, Gene's Wheel Horse in Marengo Ohio. Granville Tractor & Equipment Co., 3736 Chicago Dr. Granville Mich. 49418. Taylor Radio Appliance, 515 Martin, Mena Arkansas and Streacker Tractor Sales, Findlay Rd., Tiffin Ohio. Jones Wheel Horse had the little 1-43rd scale(HO scale) tractor trailers that said Jones Wheel Horse on the sides, I have 4 of them laying around in the original boxes. Cool thread, there has to be thousands of dealers!

fasteddy313

Gauvin supply co. Over 50 yrs. Gauvinsupplyco.com

gregg'shorses

Rowan's Auto Electric in Nobleton Ontario during the 50's, 60's and 70's. My Dad bought a 702 in around 1964 and a 1054  about 1969.

953 nut

I had the pleasure of meeting the former owner of a Franklin NC :wh:  dealership at the Early Farm Days show this weekend. His memory for details is not what I'm sure it once was but when he was looking at my 953 Hot Rod he was able to tell me everything that wasn't origional about it. He said they began selling the :wh:  line in about 1960 and sold the business in the mid 1980s, couldn't remember what year for sure, but the new owners changed over to Cubs. The building they were in is now the best pizzeria in town.

Leadford's Lawn and Garden

409 Depot Street

Franklin, NC  28734                                            :text-goodpost: 

• Like 1

Brrly1

Keith, those semi trailers where from the Jones Wheel Horse dealership up here in Maumee, Ohio. At one time they were located in Grand Rapids, Ohio. There was also a second dealership opened in Wauseon, Ohio but I believe it was only open a few years. I came across a key chain yesterday while out running around it was from Vollmar Implement Co., from Edgerton, Ohio.

Edited by Brrly1

CasualObserver

Updated through this post. Thanks for all the contributions!  Keep'em coming guys!!!  This list is getting to be fantastic!

Rideawaysenior

E. C. Allen and Sons Hazardville Ct. was another dealer.  They began to sell here in the late 50's with the Pond walk behind tractors.  They carried on until 1996 when they retired and liquidated. 

Does anyone know who the distributor was that was in West Springfield?

smh1961

Here's one from my home town of Crawfordsville Indiana. Bob and Don's Wheel Horse Sales and service. My dad bought his first new B-80 from them in 1975 and many more new one's and project's from them untill they closed many years ago. (unshure of their closing date).

CasualObserver

Does anyone know who the distributor was that was in West Springfield?

Don't know the name yet, but I can tell you that these pictures are from the parking lot of Valley View Diner just south of there. (The photographer told me the Wheel Horse rigs picked up and delivered just off the next exit north on I-91)  :thumbs:

anotherWheelHorse.jpg

WheelHorse.jpg

• Like 4

skrusins

I started in 1985 A&E Tractor Doctor in Norton, Ohio. I sold Wheel Horse and Lawnboy  and at that time I had the best Tractor and walk behind that money can buy..Before starting the business I went to South Bend to meet and see the product being made. Very impressive. I was sad to see Toro taking over Wheel Horse and Lawnboy back in 1990 and decided to sell the business because I new that I couldn't back the product I was selling

A&E stood for my daughter Amy and E for my son Eric.

• Like 2

Kelly

Near me is Fullers lawn and garden, in Lansing Mi, I buy stuff there all the time they have been a WH dealer for over 30 years, south of me in Marshall MI is Stanleys lawn and garden, I buy from them also, again a 30 plus year WH dealer, both of those places still have some NOS stuff in the back.   there is another closed dealer near me, can't think of the name but I've been inside, looks the same as it did about 20 years ago when they closed, even the counter mats still in place on the counter, next to the microfiche machine.  

Digger 66

This thread is neat ! 

I only wish there was a search by zip-code or state , or is there one & I missed it ? 

Please chime in if so .

Not sure if http://www.canfieldsoutdoor.com/ is a vintage dealer , but it's where my dad bought his first "brand-new" tractor . A late 70's ( I think ) Work horse by Wheel-Horse down near Shinglehouse P.A.  He was so proud of that machine , it was left to me & dumb-dumb sold it  :banghead:   :banghead:   :banghead:   :banghead: !

Edited by Digger 66

Hobby horses

Norm's Wheel Horse Barn - St. Charles, Missouri opened in 1968 by Norm Reily.  Norm sold the business to myself and a partner in 1984.  We operated the business until 1996.  We liquidated the business in 96 and sold the building and ground to Lindenwood University.  Norm is still active and living in Troy, Missouri.  I visit with him several times a year.   

Jim Murray - Hobby Horses

chdinct

Knights Power Equipment

286 Boston Post Rd

Orange, CT

Still in business selling Toro and other brands.  http://www.knightsinc.com/torolawntractors.htm

Bought my first used WH there in 1992.  Still going there for parts.  They are second generation owned at least, with third generation working there too. 

roscoemi

Manus Power Mowers

3116 N. Woodward

Royal Oak, MI

post-6649-0-88346500-1374872690_thumb.jp

This sticker is on the hood of P'Chops Ranger, I have not had time to verify it yet tho.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Smiths Suburban Supply, Washington, Pa. 50+ years

Ragan Sales and Service, Burgettstown, Pa.

I still get parts at both Dealers.

Gracie's Dad

Here are three more dealers that I don't think I've seen on your list:

From Stickers on both my WH

Townline Lawn&Garden

G-6031 Clio Rd

Flint MI (now Townline Sales & Service)

From purchase contract of my Grandfather's Raider 10

Neeland's Hardware

420 Vienna Rd

Clio MI (out of business)

From service manual literature