CasualObserver

Dealer List

Ken B

In Danbury CT. we had

West End Power. They were a big seller of Wheel Horse tractors in our area. Sadly, they now sell them green and yellow tractors. Fireman and Stevebo made a major score here a few yrs. ago. They still have an NOS 420 LSE "in stock"

In Brookfield CT we had

The Tractor Barn. Yes, it was in fact located in a barn. I believe they sold Wheel Horse tractors here. I'm 45 now and when I was very young I can remember driving by and always seeing Wheel Horse's exclusively in the front windows. They have been gone almost 35 yrs. now. Maybe one of the other "locals" remembers more than I do about The Tractor Barn.

sned

Rymons in Washington NJ still has all the wheel horse gear up. I go there for parts and wiring diagrams.

Deere Hunter

Arnett's Garage, Hagerstown MD. Out of business for about 10 years now. Have both the lighted sign and the metal sign that hung at the dealership hanging in my garage. Eby's Lawn and Garden took over the Toro line when they went out but do not have any old stock. All the old stock was sold at the time of sale. Was fortunate enough to bring home a few parts and pieces from that sale.

10396bec.jpg

• Like 2

whfan74

I will add some more later on but I can share about our family dealership now.

Name: Waterford Fuel & Supply

Waterford, Michigan

Opened by my great grandfather in 1927

Closed spring of 1994

Sold Wheel Horse tractors and accessories from 1967-1994

The business was owned/operated by my grandfather, great uncle, and my dad.

In addition to Selling Wheel Horse they also sold......

Fuel Oil, Sherwin Williams paint, Snapper, Jacobsen, Ariens, Massey Ferguson, Lawn Boy, Stihl, Honda, Go carts by Tiger Cart, Weed Eater........I may be missing a couple.

They had 3 full time mechanics, 2 full time salesman, 1.5 for the parts room, full time individual for just paint/fuel oil sales, and a full time office manager.

Many of my memories as a youngster revolved around the dealership.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Very cool guys... I've added all (I think) to the list, and alphabetized for quick reference.  Thanks for contributing, let's see some more!

CasualObserver

Minnesota Maintenance in Faribault Mn. I use to work for Curly part time in the later 80's. He started selling Porter Cable riding mowers in 1958 Not sure when he closed, was in shop last December still has inventory that is getting water damaged. Tried saving with no luck. I remember he had what I believe was a GT 14 with a forklift attatchment on the back, had to sit on a seat on the hood and steering wheel between your legs. Always thought it was cool.

Tom

Tom, I had the pleasure of meeting Curly a few years back at a show.  He gave me a list of the tractors they still had.  I've passed it on several times but don't know what's left over there.  I knew about the forklift (I think it's the actual legitimate Danuser attachment and not a homemade job) but haven't been able to get over there for a picture of it.

Catt

Sorry for the quality of this picture.

Hugo Mill

Sales & Service

Outdoor Power Equipment

Hugo, MN 55038

PH: 429-8163

post-9873-0-27000100-1371226585_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

From the previous owners records...the original sales receipt for my 653. 

post-3498-0-92012000-1371245141_thumb.jp

• Like 7

CasualObserver

Thanks guys, got them added.

Craig, that is an awesome little piece of literature!  Wonder what the 10% discount was for?

AMC RULES

Shoot...I recall, he had a story about that, but now I can't remember the details.    :eusa-doh: 

Edited by amcrules00

Forest Road

The Sharp Shop in Midland Park NJ. Just celebrated 50 years. The original owner recently passed away his daughter and son in law have been running it for 25+ years. They're still a Toro dealer and my sole source for parts.

wheeledhorseman

Hoping that this can be an international project, here's my local dealership D J Scott of Warnford, Hampshire UK. It's a family run business started in the mid 70s and still going today.

DJS3.jpg

Sadly from our point of view the WH sign is no longer there and the showroom contains plastic Toro machines but there are a couple of little gems on display as well......

DJS1.jpg

DJS2.jpg

Unusually for the UK they hold a stock of commonly used OEM parts like wheel bearings etc as they still service some WHs from the 70s for local owners. I believe there are some other horses that have been restored by a guy that works there though I haven't actually seen them to get photographs.

Here's another bit of UK memorabilia from the 70s with the 'G S Mowers' of Glasgow dealership stamp.

post-4509-0-32274600-1371255720_thumb.jp

Unlike D J Scott, G S Mowers didn't stand the test of time as a little bit of research revealed.

post-4509-0-23611100-1371255946.jpg

(From the Glasgow Herald newspaper Nov 5, 1984)

Andy

• Like 6

horsesaver98

well there was m&m sales and services in Merriam IN closed some time ago the original owner collects wheel horse tractors and we have bought 2 from him but he is trying to thin his herd out :)  and then there is one in Churubusco IN and he is still open and has an old round hood on a big pole and he also collects them

CasualObserver

Andy, I would be glad to add non-US dealers to the list, although I'll keep them separated for quicker reference.  Thank you for wanting to participate!  I would ask a favor though.  Would you (or any of you gents in the UK)  please give me a good link for a quick lesson in the provinical/regional descriptions of the UK?  Please pardon my ignorance, as overseas geography is not a subject I've ever studied.  What I mean to say, is I want to know how to properly list the dealers over there, as the UK is made up of several countries.  How do you list them?

Would I list GS Mowers as  Glasgow, Scotland    or Glasgow, Scotland, UK    or Glasgow, UK? 

Would I list D J Scott, as Warnford, Hampshire, UK,  or Hampshire, England, UK....  do I leave out the UK part, similar to how I don't list US on each of the ones on our side of the pond?......as I'm just not sure, assistance is appreciated.

Some type of city, state consistency would be good.  I'm comma delimiting these lists so they can easily be transferred to excel if anyone wants them, but for that to work, there has to be the same number of comma fields in each row.

ericj

a friend of my dads whom i have mentioned before on here had a dealer ship from 72 or 73 until 91 or 92 i believe. his dealer ship was called charlies sale and service, in brogue pa. he sold wheel horse, snapper, lawn boy, echo and pioneer chain saws. he got out of it when you could go to heckengers and buy a lawn boy mower for less than what he paid for them at his cost he still has a machine shop and does mower repair plus restores old wheel horse for himself and goes to a few show a year. 

i bought my 99 314-8 at innerst sale and service in jacobus pa. they are still in business but have changed hands a couple of time over the last few years. they started selling wheel horse in the late 50's or early 60's. also sold case farm tractors, dad bought his case 800 new there in 1958, case construction equipment and had a deal set up to sell new fords through another ford dealer. my friend curvin worked there from 59 or 60 to he retired in 1980 and then part time till 1985. he passed away in 2012 at he age of 97. he worked on lawn garden equipment up almost till he died. but he loved working on wheel horses.

eric j   

• Like 1

jay in nc

post-4393-0-41380700-1371299232.jpgwe bought our first horse a 73 no name 12hp  from bob peffer's garden shop in harmony pa. sadly i don't have that tractor but i do have a poulin chain saw we bought there.

• Like 1

jay in nc

oh and i forgot about fisher & father in venango co. pa. about 12 miles from franklin pa. we bought many parts there, & i think they are still in buz.

bowtieguy

Great thread!!...lets add Mr Rafferty in Drexel, Missouri...dealership was Rafferty Plumbing I think...he was a dedicated WH dealer and I got to visit with him one day while he was near death but was able to sit in lawn chair and watch his wife mow the lawn with a new 520....he had just closed the dealership due to health but wanted his wife to have a "good tractor" as he told me.....said it was a good one but he paid too much for it!! lol

The Wheel Horse sign you see in my avatar hung behind the parts counter....he sold his WH inventory to Midland Hardware in Joplin, Missouri and I think that business closed with an auction a couple years ago.

My local Wheel Horse/Toro dealer is Lumax, Belton, Missouri..(named after his sons Luke and Max)...owner is a young Toro guy that doesn't know much about Wheel Horses but he is learning....I try to support his as much as I can...plus he stocks the WH boot for me!!!....have offered to bring a few Wheel Horse tractor to display on his showroom floor when he has an "open house".

I also know of a local farmer (deceased) with a story that goes like this...Cecil Pond drove up to the farm one day and said he would make Parrot Farms a dealer if he would buy (3) Wheel Horse tractors....so he bought 3 and bingo, he was a dealer!!..I have a 40' trailer load of "used WH stuff" that came from that farmer which contained 9 ole WH's (one was a Surburban 400 all original with snow blade and deck)

• Like 2

MaineDad

Teague Distributors in Fairfield, Maine

Bradstreet Lawn & Garden in Brewer, Maine

Both original Wheel Horse dealers still in operation with great collections of old Wheel Horse's too!

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Marks Small Engines

Northville, Michigan

Still open.  Ask for Kay. She is very willing to help us restorers.

Trying to remember the name of the dealer in Milford, MI. They closed over 20 years ago. I think it was Bickfords Firestone.

Any current dealers or Kohler parts sources in the Gaylord, MI area?

Lane Ranger

Humphrey's Samll Engine Greencastle, Indiana.  Started in 1966 still in business -sells Toro, Kubota and Stihl.

sadixon49

I have the original bill of sale for my tractor, it didn't go far from home. It was bought at Jim's Avenue Lawn & Garden, 774 Lincolnway East, South Bend, 46616.

steve

post-8439-0-98773100-1371334393.jpg

• Like 1

StWeiler

Krumm Sales & Service in Des Moines, IA is no longer in operation.  I stopped in a few months back to wrestle up some parts and they had shut the doors and cleared the place out.  I've been by there many times since and it is now a ghost town.  

Sad to see.  Terry was a good guy, and really knew his stuff. 

JC 1965

Smith Custom Service  Goshen, Ohio    Opened in the sixties and still open today. That's where I get most of my parts.    :thumbs2:

AMC RULES

From my 520. 

post-3498-0-90572600-1371419100_thumb.jp

• Like 3