CasualObserver

Dealer List

CasualObserver

I'll start off with my own hometown dealer was Lincoln Radiator, Lincoln IL.

20171029_110020.jpg

It was owned by Daris Knauer who was a family friend.  I've spent countless hours talking with him about old stuff.  He opened in 1959, and had the very first RJ-58 that he sold back in his  showroom for many, many years.  It was traded in several years after purchase and he never resold it.  He had an amazing back room full of parts and older tractors.  There are probably a lot of old timers here who will recognize the name and have bought parts from Lincoln Radiator.  He sold out his inventory in 2008, coincidentally to someone who eventually became a member here lincolnpower38. That shop has since closed. 

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own the sign when it came up on auction.  It's really faded, it hung on the west side of a brick building for about 40 years.  Who else owns one of their hometown dealer's signs?

• Like 2

stevebo

We need Saltywright for this one!! Where are you Russ?

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Sounds like a very cool project! Here is my dealer to add to the list:

Dealer:

Countywide Wheel Horse, Elkhart, IN, Date of Opening: Unknow, Closed: Maybe 5 years ago. This former Wheel Horse dealership was sold to a guy maybe 5 years ago or so and is now named Yard-N-Gard Outdoor Power Equipment. They sell Gravely, Toro, Simplicity, Stihl, Echo, Billy Goat, Ariens, and Husqvarna equipment now. You still can order Wheel Horse parts from him though since he is a Toro dealer. :)

Hope that is what you were looking for...

• Like 1

546cowboy

I know of three in NW Indiana Heinhold-Feller in Valparaiso, IN had two stores that I know of and they are still there, Penniga's in Demotte,IN still opened and Terpstra's had several shops in several towns and still in business..

dcrage

Mueller Motors;  DeSoto, MO -- This was a long time dealer (Dave Mueller) who I bought my 310-8 from in 1991 -- It is still there under different ownership -- They still have "staches" of new Wheel Horse parts; much to my suprise and pleasure

Edited by dcrage
  • Like 1

can whlvr

we have henry,s lawn and garden here in orangeville,they have been there for several decades and are still there,i grew up with his oldest daughter,i bought my 308 from him in 86,he still deals toro and other stuff too,but i get all my toro parts from them,try to keep them in buisness or i would have to drive 45 min to get parts

Hodge71

Hazle Penn Oil and Brake..... Hazleton Pa.

Closed 25+ years ago. Its where my Dad got his 12 Auto brand new in 1973. 

Ringtown Farm Equipment...... Ringtown Pa. Changed buildings but still open

I still get parts from them

Zanoline's Garage...... Sybertsville Pa.

Still open but priced insane. 3 miles from my home but its worth it to me to drive 40 inutes to Ringtown 

Edited by hodge71

bewford

Newbys in Anderson, IN closed 8 or 12 years ago

varosd

a picture is worth a thousand words...

parker2.jpg

• Like 1

Lagersolut

a picture is worth a thousand words...

parker2.jpg

I bet you're familiar with Bob's weld shop on Alpine Rd ?   that  was a Wheel Horse dealer

I noticed you're from Lewisberry....I'm a stone throw from you south of Spring Grove .....our local dealer was Inerst Auto in Jacobus .....still open today with Toro/  Echo / Wheel horse parts .

papaglide

Very interesting thread. I have 2 near me that I will do research on and write about.

WH nut

My ex father in law was a Wheel Horse dealer for many years, dont know when he started but he was a Case dealer until Case closed him up Sold Wheel Horses till the day he died in 1995.

Leonard implement Company, Leonard ND.

wp205a

Wood Marine, Opelika, Alabama. Cushman Scooter dealer that helped me get back in that hobby. Learned in the past year that they dealt in WH, and had a bunch of parts that went to the dump. They sold my 854 new to a ranch in Chambers county

Dieselcowboy

Dan Young Chevrolet, Indianapolis,IN unknown stop date. I have two B-80s that were bought there new in 1975. One being the one my grandpa bought new =-)

rmaynard

My dealer is:

Lawson's Outdoor Power Equipment

113 W Main Street

New Market, MD, 21774

He still has old and restored Wheel Horses on the showroom floor. Here is a picture of his sign on the front of the building

post-2221-0-66069600-1371177814_thumb.jp

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Shynon

Minnesota Maintenance in Faribault Mn. I use to work for Curly part time in the later 80's. He started selling Porter Cable riding mowers in 1958 Not sure when he closed, was in shop last December still has inventory that is getting water damaged. Tried saving with no luck. I remember he had what I believe was a GT 14 with a forklift attatchment on the back, had to sit on a seat on the hood and steering wheel between your legs. Always thought it was cool.

Tom

• Like 1

BOWTIE

HERE IN COLUMBUS,OHIO WE HAD A LOT OF THEM: COHAGEN HARDWARE,COLUMBUS---TAYLOR&SONS CANAL WINCHESTER---TNT,REYNOLDSBURG---T and T,HILLIARD---SHARE LAWN & GARDEN,PATALASKLA---COLUMBUS LAWN AND GARDEN,GAHANNA---BUCK AND SONS,COLUMBUS---BUCKEYE POWER SALES,BLACKLICK---WESTERVILLE LAWN AND GARDEN,WESTERVILLE THERE MAY HAVE MORE THAT I FORGOT. ONLY BUCKEYE POWER AND T AND T STILL ARE TORO DEALERS.

BOWTIE IN CENTRAL OHIO

diesel cowboy

There's Boyden and Perron in Amherst, MA.  I think they opend in the 60's and are still going today.  Not sure what exactly they sell anymore but when I was there last year it was to pick up BCS parts and I think they had Stihl or Husquvarna chain saws and around 30-40 older Wheel Horses in the side yard.  I think it was about 50/50 on those that were customers and trade in or parts machines.

wh500special

Great topic Jason!

distributor: RECO (radio equipment company) in Indy. They covered much of IN an IL, perhaps more.

dealers:

Bill's Mower Shop in Georgetown, IL closed in 1990's I think. They were one of the biggest dealerships back in the 70's.

Double Y sales in Cissna Park, IL. Still open.

Fred's Radiator in Rantoul, IL. Closed in 1990's or early 2000's. I have the sign off their post.

Christiansen Sales in Frankfort, IL. Still open but no longer a WH dealer. I think they are a member here and I have signs from their building too.

El-Mel in st. Louis, MO. Started sellin WH in 1961. I have the first tractor they ever sold. Still open. Dad ought his tractor their in 1987.

Art's Mower Shop in St. Louis. Owner is brother of El-Mel's owner. Still open as a Deere dealer, stopped WH in 1970's I think.

A1 Rental in Collinsville and Edwardsville, IL carried WH from the 1970's thru about 1997.

Franko Small Engine in Granite City, IL carried WH for a few years after Toro picked them up as a corollary product line.

The name escapes me right now, but the Lincoln-Mercury dealer in Alton, IL was a WH dealer in the 1960's.

I am pretty sure Chandler's in South Bend was the first dealership. Their building was literally a few feet away from the Dixie Way factory.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Great thread, Jason, here's a couple more dealers for you:

[Don, maybe you could add your photo to that thread?]

I don't know much about their history, but there's also Steve's North End Mower Shop in Pottstown PA, and Ray's Mower Shop in nearby Boyertown, both still in business.

SousaKerry

Kuhn Sales and Service, Bascom, Oh still open selling Toro and others. This is the Wheel Horse on a pole

I own two machines with a sticker that says Fullers in Lansing, Mi I believe that they are still there but never confirmed.

I usually get my parts from Brady's Power Equipment in Holt Mi.

Although Dankin's in Jackson Mi is closer to me they seem to not want to be bothered with anything that is not Kubota.

post-4531-137119390133_thumb.jpg

Edited by SousaKerry
  • Like 3

MalMac

My Granddad ran a Dealership out of are farm. It turned into quite a large dealership always had no less than 12 to 14 tractors setting on the floor at one time plus every attachment you could think of. He started the dealership in the late 50's and we closed it in the late 70's.

McAleer's Hardware

Morocco, IN. (out in the middle of NO-Where)

Distributer was RECO of Indianapolis IN. Though sometimes we did go straight to the factory for some things.

I was lucky enough to get to meet C. Pond when he would travel with a factory rep. He dropped in a few times.

Was lucky enough to keep old the old dealers Manuals, Paperwork, Advertising paperwork and gimmicks. Nos parts (which are almost all gone now)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

brybrychrismer

Norms Wheel Horse St. Charles Missouri not sure on the dates of open from and closed on.

• Like 2

qd-16

"Motter's Sales and service"  Mansfield, Ohio .....Still open.

"Frank Cline Sales and Service"  Shiloh, Ohio......early sixties to early seventies............Closed.

"Blubaughs" in Crestline, Ohio..........Closed.