Sign in to follow this  
bluelinehiway

1067 Voltage Regulator wiring help needed

bluelinehiway

All:

Recently, I installed a new starter generator and voltage regulator in my 1067 to replace the original Delco parts. I have the wiring diagram for the unit, but I noticed a difference in how the V/R was wired into the tractor. When removing the old V/R, the three connections were as they appear in the wiring diagram, L to the lighter and then to the light switch; B to the battery; and F to the field (F) terminal on the starter generator. This matches the wiring diagram exactly. However, there was a short wire connected to a terminal on the underside of the V/R that connects to the armature (A) terminal on the starter generator that does not show up on the wiring diagram. Should I replace this short wire or is this a ground of some kind? I found some info on the Delco site that the "A" terminal on the V/R needs wired to the "A" on the starter generator. Is this terminal on the bottom of the V/R the "A" terminal that needs to have the wire to the "A" on the SG? I have double checked all my connections up to this point and this is perplexing to me.

Wheel Horse 1067 Wiring Diagram.docx

gwest_ca

This is the only Kohler service manual that covers the starter/generator. Hope there is something in it that will help.

Garry

• Like 1

JPWH

This is the wiring on my 854 v/r to s/g. Maybe it will help.

KIMG0314.jpg

• Like 1

bluelinehiway

Here is a pic of how the SG and VR was wired prior to removal and replacement. The blue connector was attached to the Bat terminal and led down to the battery; the red connector was wired to the F terminal on the SG; to the left of the VR you can see a short wire that's connected to the terminal on the underside of the VR that is connected to the A terminal of the SG. This is the wire that I'm having questions about as the wiring diagram does not show this wire being connected to the SG from the VR.

I have attached the pics that show the inside of the VR and the screw on the bottom.

I want to make sure that this is wired correctly.

Thanks for the aid and assistance.

Tom

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

pfrederi

How many terminals are on your new regulator?  The old bottom wire is NOT a ground it is how the generator charges the battery.  if you have 3 terminals on your new regulator they are wired as follows.

F goes to field terminal on Genny

GEN goes to the A Terminal on the genny You will have two wires on the Genny A terminal, a heavy one for starting the small one from the regulator for charging

BAT goes to the battery terminal and also is used as the load feed to the lighter

bluelinehiway

Paul:

Got 4 terminals on the new VR (identical to original). The one you did not list above is "L" which is wired to the cig lighter and headlamp switch on my 1067. I did not wire that terminal up. The more detailed wiring diagram Garry provided showed the GEN wire connected to the armadature terminal on the SR so that's the way I completed the wiring. The reason I was trying to confirm the wiring is that the first VR and SG I installed (coincidently exactly the same way this new one finished out) worked for about an hour and then smoked out burning back wiring and trashing the new parts. I was able to get new parts from the vendor (after a 6 week back and forth) and from what I see and assume, one or both of the India / China parts failed scorching the system. Funny how Delco/Remy parts lasted almost 50 years and the cheaparse knockoffs probably will last 5.

THANKS to all the folks that help with my questions!

• Like 1

JPWH

Did you check the air gaps and set the voltages on the vr?  If they are not set correctly you could toast another vr or even the s/g.

• Like 1