Stigian

Welding gloves.. A good idea!

Stigian

Why??

Well a rather nasty evil big blob of molten weld decided to jump and land on my wedding ring where it most unkindly burnt a hole through it and at the same time super-heated the top half of the ring to a very "ouch" sort of temperature!

Honda FTX33.jpg

Getting the ring off was interesting to say the least, it's always been a very tight fit but still turned, but once my finger started swelling!!    With the help of Google, a good chap by the name of Matt, and a length of fine string we managed to get the ring off without having to cut it!   

This was quite bad timing as it was our 9th wedding anniversary yesterday!

Honda FTX34.jpg

For those of you who are saying I shouldn't wear the ring in the workshop, I've never taken it off as it doesn't/didn't really come off without a big fight!

• Like 6

JPWH

Ouch!  You may have a permanent ring in the form of a scar now. 

Ed Kennell

Nasty burn...lesson learned.     

I put my wedding ring on 53 years ago and took it off one year later when It got caught on a ladder rung brace as I was descending a wooden ladder and I was momentarily suspended by my ring finger.

I did put it back on for our 50th wedding anniversary, but it now fits perfectly on my pinky finger.

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

OUCH!!! That is why I never wear my ring anytime I am doing any kind of work with my hands...I saw too many instances as a fire dept/first responder of whole fingers getting ripped off by a ring getting caught that I'd just rather not chance it. And welding gloves are always a good idea, even if only for a couple minutes...some of the worst burns my hands have ever received were from picking up my welder to make a quick 2 minute repair and neglecting to put on my gloves. Hope it heals up alright without any problems of infection or anything 

• Like 2

19richie66

Took mine off last Saturday after hooking it on my foremans toolbox. Brought me to a complete stop and jerked me backwards. Don't really even know how I did it. Swoll up real quick. Got home, soaped it up and got it off. Now looks good on the dresser.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Sorry about you ring, glad you did not lose your finger. Be careful of infection. Adam is starting to heal and we don't need Nigel to continue the threat about you being in Hospital.

• Like 1

Aldon

Ouch indeed!

Glad your not hurt worse than you were.

I have a scar on the web of my left hand where a large puddle of molten steel from an overhead weld burned through my glove and into my hand when I was doing my overhead certification about 20 years ago. 

A constant reminder that I am not superman!

• Like 1

DougC

I didn't give you a Like this on your post because I don't like when people are injured. I do give you a Get well soon however and hope you heal to be good as new!  :wh:   :)

• Like 3

russellmc301

hope you get better soon.

ztnoo

I worked in the building trades from about the age of 23 onward.

I never wore any kind of jewelry on my hands.

I had heard horror stories about getting a ring hooked on something, snagged on a running tool or mechanism, and guys literally getting their finger ripped off or maimed .

I'm 67, but I was never married until age 58.

I told my wife I would wear the ring on our wedding day, anniversary day, and special casual occasions, but I would not be wearing it the rest of the time.

I fully explained my reasoning.......I'm still an active guy, still using my hands in manual ways even though I'm officially retired. Not having anything on my hands was ingrained in my daily life, and I wouldn't consciously think about having a ring on and the risk wearing one after a lifetime of not wearing a ring was far to great, IMO.

Fortunately, my rationale made sense to her and she accepted me not wearing a wedding band.

She apparently saw my logic, knows I love her and am bound to her regardless of the ring,  and as a result I still have all my digits, and none are maimed because of wearing a ring.

It's just not worth the risk to me.

Consider yourself very lucky your injury wasn't worse.

• Like 4

TIGman

Welding gloves, and Welding jacket both a very good idea !!! ;) I can tell you from 19yrs of welding .  Hope you heal up OK, burns can be nasty....

WNYPCRepair

I got my ring stuck on an aircraft jumping down from the cockpit in the Corps, stopped wearing my ring. Started wearing it again after I got out. Got a job in construction, got it caught on something, stopped wearing it. Got an office job, figured I was safe. While disconnecting a battery, the wrench hit my ring, which hit the frame of the car. Luckily my ring was so loose I could shake my hand and it flew off. In the 2 seconds (if that) it took to shake it off, my finger looked quite a bit like yours, just not quite as deep. It's amazing how fast gold transfers heat. 

I finally lost it, so haven't worn it in years

Sarge

Just had a good friend come over this summer , hand swollen badly and look on his face that would melt anyone's heart - he ended up hanging by his wedding band off the side of his dump trailer . He had pulled the tarp back and lost his footing on the trailer's side rail , ring caught one of the hooks for the tarp and there he hung . Luckily his wife had been outside , ran to the garage and grabbed a ladder to get him down , hand and arm already purple and his face dead stark white . I had no choice but to cut it off with a pair of flush cutters , blood spurting everywhere from the deep cut in his finger - he ended up at the ER despite not wanting to go . Broken in two places , torn ligaments in the ring finger but they kept it on and sewed it up after fixing all the internal damage . It's still larger than all the rest and he wears his ring on a chain around his neck - much safer although I made him cut the chain length down a lot - it was too long and would have pulled his head into any running equipment .

Darwinism can take it's toll ....lol .

Sarge

Hacksawhero123

A good reason to be cautious of wearing rings. This is not me. Story is the poor guy slipped and his ring got hung

Mark. 

Edited by Hacksawhero123

AMC RULES

Do we really need to see that here? 

• Like 2

953 nut

:sad-fever::text-yeahthat:   @Hacksawhero123   I rely like most of your posts, but this one is an exception!       :angry-tappingfoot:

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

My apologies, gentlemen.   

Edited by Hacksawhero123
  • Like 2

ACman

My wife gave me grief for years for not wearing my wedding ring (size 14 back then) at all . Told her I hated wearing any kind of jewelry let alone a ring at work and play . Wasn't that like one of the first rules we learned in shop class . Told her of two cousins that peeled their fingers like bananas jumping off of wagons  :banana-parachute:and I wasn't going to be the third ! Fast forward twenty years and a accident that left me wheelchair bound . The wife and I were out shopping and we came across a identical ring (size 9 now isn't that crazy) so I figured I wear it for taking care of me these past years . Wouldn't you know it , for someone who can't hardly use his hands , I'm constantly catching it on my chair . I still hate wearing it but I do it for her  :wub:  .

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Your body may be twisted Jeff,  but your head is on straight.  You are an inspiration to all of us.  :thanks:

• Like 3

obone

I thought I was the only person who doesn't wear there ring. I've been married 20 years and doubt I wore it 20 days. Having your hands inside electrical equipment is very scary with metal on. Although everyone I worked with wore theirs. Glad you did not lose your finger. Rings can be replaced.

Coadster32

Yikes Stig...that's gotta hurt!!  :omg: Glad you're going to be ok though.

My EX-wife was on me contantly for not wearing my ring. I am a machinist by trade and need no real explination for that. I fought the "good fight", and didn't wear it at work.  The kicker...her father had lost his finger many years prior because of a wedding ring. He was finished unloading a truck, grabbed the handle and jumped down. He felt a pop and looked up. Saw his finger and ring still on the truck. Said it didn't hurt, as he was in shock. Always told me he still felt his finger there. Anyway...crazy woman.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

It's amazing how fast gold heats up isn't it? I was lucky, mine was so loose I could sling my hand and it would fly off. :)

That is how I learned to take the ground cable off before the hot cable. I touched the wrench to my ring, and my ring was touching the side of a car. Within a second, it burned my finger just like that. I slung the ring off and chased it down. And took the ground cable off first ever after. 

I had stopped wearing mine when I worked construction after having it hang on joists as I was jumping down, ladders as mentioned previously, but when I started working in more of an office situation, I thought it was safe to wear it again. I stopped wearing mine after that, and have never worn it since. In fact, I no longer no where it is. I think someone pocketed it.

Edited by WNYPCRepair