N3PUY

Me vs. steering wheel pin ..... and the winner is ........

SylvanLakeWH

Nice effort - nice result!

:bow-blue:

• Like 4

gregg'shorses

I have a hammer just like that. I call it " the educator" in case something needs "teaching":D

• Like 3

rjg854

Great job, you gotta appreciate a man with determination!  Been there, done that. :thumbs:

• Like 2

DougC

GOOD JOB!!! GOTTA SHOW 'EM WHO'S BOSS!!!!   HIT IT LIKE A MAN!   :handgestures-thumbupright:   :wh:   :USA:

• Like 2

benji756

I have to admit I gave up on my 520's pin, I ended up cutting the steering shaft and made a clamping fixture out of 2 split collars and a piece of steel tubing

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

The bench looks organized and by beating the pin out you have moved things around so you can find them. You may have also a little dust.

• Like 1

N3PUY
2 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The bench looks organized and by beating the pin out you have moved things around so you can find them. You may have also a little dust.

Hey ..... there's those WH hubcaps I was looking for!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

You taught that a good lesson. 

Glenn

RedHorse54

Nice job! Man those things are such a pain. It's near impossible! I had to cut mine 

JPWH

Nothing like a little persuasion to deal with the old age rust. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Phatboy

The best way i habe found to get them out is , i went to HF and got some long roll pin punches ,then i put one in my air chissle and let it rip,, it was laying on the floor in less than 2 minutes,,, worked greak for me,, of course spraying it first with liquid wrench..i see that was to be your next course of action,,,

Edited by Phatboy

cleat

And of course when you put it back in, never seize is your friend.

If the OEM's used this stuff, nearly everything would come apart properly.

• Like 2

Daddy Don

Love those pins. Heat helps also. 

daveoman1966

Like another member wrote: YUou pretty much have to use a high-end roll pin punch on these.  If you use just a regular blunt end 1/4"
 dia punch, it will only spread out the roll pin, just like a swaging tool does for a plumber when he wants to flare-out or spread a pipe diameter.  Then, you're really sunk.

Use a proper dia size ROLL PIN PUNCH. Cut the hex end of it short to fit in a socket (5/16 ?) that fits snugly onto the short punch in a pneumatic hammer.  Presoak with a good penetrant (Freeall is my choice) and, with gloves on,  apply LOTS of arm pressure to the air hammer and drive the pin out. 

Use of heat on the plastic steering wheels can go south real quick and, once melted, the cause is lost.      

• Like 3

new horse

drilled mine out, new drillbit nice and slow, lots of lube

• Like 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

Use of heat on the plastic steering wheels can go south real quick and, once melted, the cause is lost. 

What I have done is heat the shaft next to the hub until it glows, remove heat; let the heat migrate up the shaft, spray more PB Blaster (ventilation is a good thing) then brace the shaft and drive the pin out. Not enough heat to damage the plastic but it did break the rust up.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1