prondzy

I have an e81 rear engine style mower. I have been kiclung around the idea of wiring it and rising it at shows, so I'm wondering what batteries are you guys using in your working/using electric horses? Cost point, cheaper? 

DTOM

I would look at Trojan's, Crown's and Interstate batteries. Take your time looking and be patient. For my (6) Interstates batteries cost me $800!!!   

Digger 66

Still running my $25.00 Wally-World battery 5 years & counting .

It has been swapped between the :wh: & the Z/T a few times & kept on a Battery Tender Jr. when not in use .

• Like 1

prondzy
6 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Still running my $25.00 Wally-World battery 5 years & counting .

It has been swapped between the :wh: & the Z/T a few times & kept on a Battery Tender Jr. when not in use .

This is for an electric model tractor 36v not a regular tractor. This is the electric models thread not the electrical 

Edited by prondzy

Digger 66

Right you are , sorry .

no excuse but it was like 4:30 AM :blink:

• Haha 1

squonk

I don't know how many batteries were in it originally and how much room you have, but you need lots of reserve power. Deep cycle RV batteries may be your best bet. Nothing that's going to work is going to be cheap

• Like 1

prondzy
On 7/4/2016 at 4:07 PM, squonk said:

I don't know how many batteries were in it originally and how much room you have, but you need lots of reserve power. Deep cycle RV batteries may be your best bet. Nothing that's going to work is going to be cheap

I beleive there should be 3 it's a small rider

Terry M

Mike, I believe that Deep cycle design batteries would work and serve you the best.   And also using the appropriate type of charger helps..   :)

ACman

My wheelchairs use a 2-12v deep cycle gel battery , and always having it on the charger helps with battery life. 

• Like 2

WHX??

I would say just some deep cycles from Fleet's Mike. They are the cheapest I have found for boats & what not & last pretty good if you keep them on a battery tender. Should be ok for putting around shows on.  They have two sizes depending what your space needs are. I would guess there were 3 wired in series?? The bad news is even for the smaller ones for 3 you are gonna be close to $200. Any idea what was OEM? Also remember unless you can find some old car batteries to take in you are gonna take it in the shorts a little on cores.

Any chance we can get you to throw up some :text-coolphotos:??

• Like 1

prondzy

I'll have to get some pics it is in a shed about 5 miles from my house

Uncle Buck

I think some of the electric models in 1977 came with as many as 8 car sized batteries! :-o

DTOM

The B-145 and the C-185 have (6)- 6volt deep cycles.  The C-185 has bigger motors and a foot throttle control 10mph.

• Excellent 1

GeofThompson

Hi

Ok this is what I know about Batteries for these little guys. If you are using the E81 to cut grass, The best bang for you dollar and the beast fit is "Floor scrubber batteries. You will have too check the size because as you know there is only limited space. This is also a costly proposition they are around $200 each.. If how ever you are only looking a playing with this guy and riding it around at show then Deep cycle 12V camper batteries work really well they are much cheap, small so they are easily installed and even have a handle for carrying them. This is what I us in my "Electric Bathtubs" which I use mainly for shows as they are my "mini golf cart". If you not crazy a full charge will last the weekend. I would however invest in a 36V charger like a " Soniel" if you using the floor scrubbers and working the unit. . The on board charger if they are working will destroy your batteries since the can overcharge them if you are not careful. It is also pretty easy to charge each 12V batterie,with a 12v charger while it on the E81 just disconnect them so you are charge one at a time. Keep them charged, clean and the water topped up and a set will last you for years

On 7/13/2016 at 2:47 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I think some of the electric models in 1977 came with as many as 8 car sized batteries! :-o

Nope You are probably think of the E-141 (1980)  which has 6 12V batteries.  All electric tractors form the 70s were

36V either 3-12V or 6-6Vs

• Like 4

rtfbg

Best batteries for these are those designed for them, and the closest cousin still in use .. all over .. are golf cart batteries.  Trojan seems to get the best reviews, with several different grades, the higher the amp-hr the more $$$ ... Great deal on the big ones $89.95 w/ proper core.  They have an 18mo warranty.  YES, batteries are only as good as their charger!!!

http://www.sbsbattery.com/products-services/by-application/transportation-and-mobility/trojan-batteries/golf-utility-vehicles.html

• Excellent 1

buckrancher

Sams club

group 27 marine deep cycle Duracell 12V $90.00 each

Brian

• Like 1

Petes Horse

You could try a junk yard. I was messing around with electric cars for a while and was able to get ok used batteries for 15-20 bucks.

Vurge

Sorry for the late comments.  I just wandered into this section of the forum.

Golf cart type batteries are a far better choice for electric vehicles then marine dual purpose batteries.  Golf cart batteries (and floor scrubber batteries, forklift batteries, etc) have heavier plates and can be cycled much deeper without damage.  I prefer US Battery and Trojans.  For occasional use or just as a ride around I've had no problems using dual purpose deep cycles.  They are a heck of a lot cheaper!  But for use on my golf cart (used for working on the farm) and on my small forklift I use true deep cycle batteries.  

And a good charger is worth every dime.  I have been very happy with DPI chargers.  Great product and great service.