BillF

Drive belt length

BillF

Guys, I'm really struggling to find the drive belt length for my C-120, 8-speed  (12HP Kohler). I've ordered the wrong belt, twice now. :(    Can anyone take a peak at theirs and help a guy out? It should be in the ballpark of 5/8 x 81"/82" but I need an exact before I reorder.

daveoman1966

The toro website calls for belt # 7473.  Here are the dimensions of it.

Disregard the Gates an d Rotary sizing...wrong belt.  Just go with the TORO or Wheelhorse belt # 7473

C-120 BELTa.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
foix the pic

BillF

Awesome! Thank you Dave! 
How did you find it? When I type in the model number (k301s - from the metal tag) I get no results.

daveoman1966

Go to the TORO siet here:  When you open it, type in your model C-120.  It will then list the production years and select any of the 70s m,odels.  Then schematics will pop up and you can see all the schematics of the tractor.  You'll have to play around a little...like all websites, but this is a very good one.

https://www.toro.com/en/parts?SearchText=c-120&SelectedFilterByOption=equipment

Once you determine the belt # (7473), go to this website to get the particulars of virtually ANY belt ever made...

Enter the belt # as the part #....  presto

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/belts/#result

• Like 2

BillF

you da man!

Achto

:WRS:

wheeliehorse

I ordered a 7473 wheel horse drive belt and I'm currently trying to stretch the damn thing . There is no way the belt tensioner or lil clutch spring could ever give this 8 speed c-120 enough slack to let the belt slip much less let the clutch pedal return to the depressed position. I seriously don't believe I have it routed wrong . Will it stretch if I use some friendly persuasion and a couple ratchet straps lol.

Edited by wheeliehorse

daveoman1966

You should NOT have to stretch a belt...you must have it routed incorrectly, or the wrong belt, or not the original size pulleys on the engine or trans, or idelr.

Here is the manual on how to install the belt.  Make sure it is on the CRANKSHAFT pulley and not the PTO pulley.  Gpo to page 5.2 and study the description on image 5.5.  

Tractor_1978_B-C-D-SeriesServiceManual_810063Rl.pdf

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

pfrederi

You cannot stretch modern belts.  If a belt has gotten loose it is because it is worn and sitting lower in the pulleys.

wheeliehorse

Well this is what I got goin on , it says 7473 do I have the wrong belt lol

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

image.jpg

Edited by wheeliehorse

JAinVA

From the posted pictures something looks really wrong.The engine pulley seems to be much bigger than one for a manual transaxle.Secondly there is no idler pulley visible.The idler pulley should be under the top portion of the belt and pulled into engagement by a spring

• Like 3

daveoman1966

From your 1st pic, it looks like the belt is not on the engine crankshaft pulley.  That pulley should be #7466 and is 4" diameter.  Look behind you clutch disc and be CERTAIN the belt is in the V groove of that pulley and NOT riding on the edge, or hung up on anything.   

• Like 1

wheeliehorse
15 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

From the posted pictures something looks really wrong.The engine pulley seems to be much bigger than one for a manual transaxle.Secondly there is no idler pulley visible.The idler pulley should be under the top portion of the belt and pulled into engagement by a spring

The idler pulley is laying on the ground in the pic.

17 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

From your 1st pic, it looks like the belt is not on the engine crankshaft pulley.  That pulley should be #7466 and is 4" diameter.  Look behind you clutch disc and be CERTAIN the belt is in the V groove of that pulley and NOT riding on the edge, or hung up on anything.   

Dave I appreciate your help, it is most certainly in the crankshaft pulley and the belt spins as it should it just seems this belt is to damn short. I'll check to make sure it's a 4 inch pulley but it def appears to be from what I can tell. I compare the old belt with the new one and it appears to be about 1 inch shorter. I woulda figured a plus or minus a 1/4 at most. 

wheeliehorse

I went ahead an ordered the napa 5l820w. Thanks for everyone's help on this odd frustrating situation I'm sure the belt is just the wrong size although I remain confused by 7473 wheel horse markings on the belt the fact remains it's too short. On ward and upward boys ..