WheelHorseNut

Help on Identifying my Tractor

WheelHorseNut

Hey guys, question for you:

I have been trying to identify my tractor but have come up with conflicting info on a few fronts...I always thought it was a 1973 Raider 10 but see the info below:

The model number on the tractor ID tag riveted below the dash says 1 6931 which, when looked up on this list, corresponds to a 1968 Raider 9 - 8 speed.  The decals on the tractor say Raider 10 - 6 speed and look like the 1968-1969 decals as seen on redoyourhorse, I have the manual for the tractor that says 1973 Raider 10 - 6 speed.  The trans has a 1-2-3 and high and low (6 speed, right?  Reverse doesn't count, right?).  The engine is a Tecumseh which, according to Tractor Data, is only in the Raider 10's up to 1972.  The model number is HH100-115095B, which is a 10 hp Tecumseh and the serial number on the engine is 7362, which I am not sure what that is deciphered into (first digit being a 7 -- 1967?  73 for 1973?  Not sure).  The model number of the engine does match the 1968 Raider 9 - 8 speed that is on the list.

Any thoughts?  I know it's a bit strange but, I guess I'm leaning toward the 1968 model but I'm confused on the Raider 10 decal and the 1973 manual that I had in the house from which the tractor actually came...

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

- Jeff

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut

I just noticed this...  Six speed pattern decal but an 8 speed pattern on the shifter knob.  I'm going to go check that out in a second to see which it is.  I'd say maybe the parts were swapped into a 1973 Raider 10 frame?  But the ID tag is riveted in there.  What do  you guys think?

Conflict.jpg

C-101plowerpower
3 minutes ago, WheelHorseNut said:

I just noticed this...  Six speed pattern decal but an 8 speed pattern on the shifter knob.  I'm going to go check that out in a second to see which it is.  I'd say maybe the parts were swapped into a 1973 Raider 10 frame?  But the ID tag is riveted in there.  What do  you guys think?

Conflict.jpg

that hi low shifter isnt wheel horse, 6 and 8 speed are the same, somewhere in time they started counting the reverse gears too which makes a 6 an 8

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut
Just now, C-101plowerpower said:

that hi low shifter isnt wheel horse, 6 and 8 speed are the same, somewhere in time they started counting the reverse gears too which makes a 6 an 8

Gotcha... I just went back and looked at it and realized it was the Hi-Low lever... Lol... Should've looked closer at my picture.  So do you think maybe just the hood was swapped or something?  But then they would've also had to swap the gas tank support...

C-101plowerpower
Just now, WheelHorseNut said:

Gotcha... I just went back and looked at it and realized it was the Hi-Low lever... Lol... Should've looked closer at my picture.  So do you think maybe just the hood was swapped or something?  But then they would've also had to swap the gas tank support...

i think there were a few typos in the list @gwest_ca should know

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I believe the early 1968 production were decaled Raider 9's and later Raider 10's. What is the serial number?

The Raider name was dropped at the end of 1972 production in the US but continued in Europe.

Garry

WheelHorseNut

I just found this on eBay (owner's manual for 1-6931) and it shows a Raider 9.

I also looked through the search on Toro's website and it comes up as a Raider 9.

Paul on this site (I'm going to try to contact him) seems to think he has a Raider 10, too, with that part number.

Weird.

4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

I believe the early 1968 production were decaled Raider 9's and later Raider 10's. What is the serial number?

The Raider name was dropped at the end of 1972 production in the US but continued in Europe.

Garry

Really?  Ah -- that would make sense to me because I can't see the panels getting changed on this thing. It is 439880.

11 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Really?  Ah -- that would make sense to me because I can't see the panels getting changed on this thing. It is 439880.

Just checked your link and saw that toward the bottom of the list.  I want to make sure I put the right decals on it so maybe the Raider 10 is correct?

WheelHorseNut

Great!  Thanks for adding my serial number -- nice to know that I'm not the only one!  Will get the Raider 10 decals for the resto :)

Thanks for the help!

953 nut

:WRS:     The shift knob is from a 4 speed car or truck. Most '73s were referred to as "nonames", hard to say what has been changed around by previous owners.

KC9KAS

I have a friend that has a Raider 12--8 speed, but the numbers say it is a 4 speed.

Here is what I come up with.

I figure it is a "late" 68 or an "early" 70.

Wheel Horse was notorious for using left-over parts!

1-6231          1968              8 speed         5073

1-6241          1969              4 speed         5071              (Your model number on the tag)

1-6251          1970              8 speed         5073

The engine numbers are correct for the Raider 12

Engine:          Model            K-301 S 

Spec               47147 C

Serial              D044219

• Like 2

stevasaurus

The visual difference, on the out side, of the 6 and 8 speed transmissions is which shaft the brake drum is on.  If the brake drum is on the hole closest to the axle housing (the 11/44 toothed gear), it is a 6 speed.  If the brake drum is on the shaft coming out the next hole toward the front of the transmission, (the cluster gear shaft), it is an 8 speed.  They both shift the same...3 gears forward, 1 reverse, and the hi/low separate shifter.  :)

OK, now if it is the 6 speed, it is either a 68 or 69 and has the 10 pinion, limited slip transmission.  WH #5060 or #5071.

If it is an 8 speed and 1.  the axles are 1"...it is a 1972 with a 4 pinion differential.  WH #5086

2.  the axles are 1 1/8"...it is a 1970/1971/1972 with the 10 pinion limited slip differential.  WH #5073

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut

Thanks for all the info, guys -- I'll check it out as soon as I can.  Been very busy the last few days with a bunch of family things.

- Jeff