Jb416H

48" mower deck issue

Jb416H

Hello, i am a new member to the site here and have a ? About a used mower deck I bought last year.

As i was giving the underside a good cleaning, repainting and installing new blades i noticed the left side

spindle had about an 1/8 to 3/16 play up and down. Is this something i should be worried about immediately 

or can i deal with it later? Why i ask is i will be working out of town and still need to get the lawn mowed

even though i am not here and don't want to put the wifey under any stress if it would happen to be something major.

Thanks 

John

daveoman1966

Is the 1/8 - 3/16 'play' in (1)  the spindle itself, or is it (2) the blade that moves up & down that much?   If # 1...the spindle...it MAY be broken from or loose at the deck shell.  If # 2...the blade only... be suspect of the top pulley being loose or sloppy on the shaft.  Lemme know if in need of parts for this...

daveoman@windstream.net    

Edited by daveoman1966

gwest_ca

When I see this problem I often think of this service bulletin

I think the 80-100 ft. lbs. torque of the top nut started when it was a Nylock nut used with a Woodruff key that was later changed to a standard nut with a regular lock washer when the Woodruff key was omitted.

Garry

Jb416H

Spindle housing is tight to deck. When you push up on blade the pully on top side of deck moves too.

I will check to make sure the nut on top of pully is tight and let you know. Will be a few days till I get to 

it. Just got the wifey home from rotator cuff surgery so i have to help her when needed. Thanks for the

advice

John