"D"- Man

Mesh filter screen adhesive for hydrobtransaxle?

"D"- Man

Is there a recommended "glue" for the cap or magnet on a mesh screen filter for a hydro?

"D"- Man

Here are some pics of the filter I have, the magnet is secured via some sort of adhesive, and is O.k. but the cap is separateted from the round plastic end. 

IMG_20160613_220548871.jpg

IMG_20160613_220514632.jpg

IMG_20160613_220531984.jpg

Phatboy

What tranny has that filter on it ?

• Like 1

"D"- Man

It is from my 18 Automatic.

• Like 1

squonk

It's an internal filter.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I would clean it completely and use epoxy.  If you use RTV silicone stuff  let it cure completely and then trim off any excess.  A tiny piece of adhesive getting loos could easily plug up the acceleration valve holes..they are tiny.

• Like 1

WHX??

What is the dual hub set up you have goin on there?, Is that a disc for a brake Ithere?? ....:text-imsorry: .... I'm gonna need more pictures of that!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Not sure about the dual hub but those are the optional turning brake discs.

• Like 2

Phatboy

I really like thos wheel hubs,, it looks lke they go onto the axel deeper (or more of the axel goes inside them) s that true ? Or is that a optical illusion ,,, 

• Like 1

pfrederi

D series (including 18 autos) hubs are much deeper than regular horses...makes removing them very difficult if they are stuck on.

IMG_3209.JPG

• Like 5

WHX??

Looks like they can be stubborn! I suppose that a good thing sometimes for these bigger horses & the work they do.  Wondering what 23 Auto had to do to extend those axles. Custom make some?

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman
10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

D series (including 18 autos) hubs are much deeper than regular horses...makes removing them very difficult if they are stuck on.

If you are thinking that Paul's puller arrangement looks like overkill I can say from personal experience with my D-200 it is not! If you use a puller with arms round the flange or a puller that bolts into the wheel nut threads on the flange you will either break the flange or strip out the threads. Yes, these hubs get stuck on that tight!

The disc turning brake option mentioned earlier can be seen in this photo:

turningb.jpg

Andy

• Like 1

"D"- Man

This is a magnet that separateted from the cap, as you can see the material is hard, and broke away clean.

On a side note, these are axles that were made from 4041 shafts that were magnetic induction hardened to 54 or 60 Rockwell hardness at the bearing areas.  A fellow Redsquare member made these and shipped them to me. These are extra long for dual rear hub mounting to accommodate two 15" x 7" wheels per axle.

IMG_20160616_070859128.jpg

IMG_20160508_103221069.jpg

IMG_20160603_230717552.jpg

IMG_20160603_230811112.jpg

• Like 4

wheeledhorseman

Neat project coming along there, is that a chromed tow hook?

Any more little tasters coming our way?

Andy

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Think I would use one of these magnets without adhesive. Use one that fits inside the recessed cavity. It is not going to fall off if the cap is steel which increases it's effectiveness.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348

Garry

• Like 1

boovuc

Like Gwest_ca says! I work in the adhesives industry and I would not trust any adhesive to withstand the heat, pressures and constant current of oil on a part that can very much hose a tranny!

• Like 1

"D"- Man
8 hours ago, boovuc said:

Like Gwest_ca says! I work in the adhesives industry and I would not trust any adhesive to withstand the heat, pressures and constant current of oil on a part that can very much hose a tranny!

On 6/18/2016 at 4:37 AM, wheeledhorseman said:

Andy

Andy, yes I began with a N.O.S. hitch and cleaned it up a bit {smothed the edges via sanding} then took it to the chrome shop and had them plate it.  A similar hitch was equipped on the 420 LSE.

pfrederi

or maybe try a magnetic drain plug and forget the magnet on the filter

drain.JPG

wheeledhorseman

I've thought about a magnetic drain plug myself as an alternative but came to the conclusion that it would not be as effective due to the design of the WH-Sundstrand transaxle. To my mind the issue is that the main hydro filter is in the oil return to trans casing path and not the oil to pump pickup path hence the need for the mesh filter and magnet which filters the oil reasonably well (with the aid of the magnet) as oil on its way to the pump has to pass through. A mag drain plug would certainly attract stray iron bits to it over time but is less likely to prevent potentially disastrous bits being drawn into the pump on the fly. Just my thoughts - could be wrong.

Andy

"D"- Man
On 6/18/2016 at 4:37 AM, wheeledhorseman said:

Andy

I have recently picked up some of the parts that I had plated, not all were done yet, although I have not taken pictures of everything yet, I did get a couple of the decorative polished copper plated manifold and the chrome clamp thingys.

IMG_20160724_121233180.jpg

IMG_20160724_122958654.jpg

"D"- Man

Had to polish out some already tarnishing areas, due to the plating shop holding it so long.  Then I used some wax remover, and give it a shot of clear (high heat) to sort of prevent any further issues.