Stigian

Watch out for stagnant pond water!

Stigian

A cautionary tale for you guy's and girl's involving stagnant pond water..

My Wife's son Adam had just started a job trial doing landscape gardening, and was told to help clear out a stagnant pond..

Despite having all the safety gear on, thick waders, eye protection, gloves etc he somehow managed to get a bit of wood stuck in he's finger right under the nail after it went through the glove..

Now Adam did what we would all do, pull the bit of wood out, wash the finger and think no more of it..

All was fine until the evening when Adam started to feel like he had a cold/flu coming on...

The next day the flu symptoms were a bit worse, so like we would all do Adam just thought he had the flu, it is doing the rounds after all..

The next day the flu symptoms were even worse including a little bit of dizziness..

The next morning Adam was woken up by a shortage of breath and heart palpitations.. He also had strange lumps on he's hands and feet!

So he did the right thing and went to the hospital... That was three weeks ago and he is not out yet!

What he had caught from the stagnant water was Weil's disease, This infection typically only causes mild flu-like symptoms, including headaches and chills..      If caught early enough!!

Unfortunately Adam's wasn't caught early enough and the Weil's disease had started to cause damage to he's spleen, liver, kidney and partially collapsed a lung!

That may sound bad but it's all fixable with the right drugs..

The really bad bit is the Weil's had been eating away at two heart valves which is why Adam aged 28 (I think) had two heart valves replaced at St Thomas's hospital, London yesterday afternoon/evening!

The op went well with no problems which was very good news, if Adam recovers well he could be home in a couple of weeks..

So, watch out for stagnant pond water guy's, it can be very nasty life threatening stuff!!

Oh, Weil's disease is also available from rat pi$$!

• Like 2

Coadster32

Wow. Seems like he caught it pretty early, but I guess not. I wish him well.

roadapples

Wishing him the best.. Keep us informed.

DougC

Hoping he has a complete recovery.

• Like 1

RedRanger

Wow!  That attacks fast.  Hope Adam fully recovers.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am very sorry to hear Adam's illness. My thoughts are with you and your wife. I hope Adam makes a speedy recovery. Best regards. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

WOW, Ian!!!  That is just unbelievable.  My prayers and thoughts with you and yours.  Thanks for posting this.

rmaynard

I wish him the best Ian. It's really unbelievable that in this day and age you can get deadly ill just from getting a splinter.

SylvanLakeWH

Prayers for a complete and speedy recovery.

JimD

Prayers for Adam and your family Ian.

Stigian

Thanks for all the best wishes Guy's, they are much appreciated :thumbs:

The good news is Adam is recovering well, he is still in a bit of pain and has to be careful not to over do things.. He is talking about going back to work (light duties only) in a week or so, the Doc isn't happy with it though!   The youth of today eh! :lol:

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am glad that Adam is doing better. Tell him to stay out of work for one more week if he is able. He will be in a lot better shape when he does go back to work.

DennisThornton

Oh my goodness!  Gads!  How many times have I been in swamps and stagnant pond water!

Best of luck to him!  And thanks for the "heads up!"!